Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Knight

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
A few months ago a new cloud storage company called Yunio popped up ... If memory serves me correctly I am certain they are based out of China.

They enticed everyone with 1 TB free cloud storage (which I signed up for and told others about), free users not only got the 1 TB free storage but an extra gig every time the free user logged in.
Now a few months after they offer the 1 TB free and get the masses to sign up they decide to change their business model. Starting April 1st if you are a free user of their cloud service if you do not upgrade to their VIP (paid) service your account and everything uploaded to it will become invalid, meaning you will not be able to log in to retrieve or upload any files anymore.

In my opinion this is a classic bait and switch, if you have a free Yunio account I urge you to spread this around and DO NOT sign up for their paid service, if not for anything else just for general purposes, because who knows if 6 months down the road if they will decide to "change" their business model yet again.

This is a Very, Very poor business move on their part ...... this WILL cost them because if you are like me you will feel like you have just been screwed without the courtesy of even a reach around.
mad.gif

Reactions: Ink and PVA_BR

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
The best "cloud storage" is actually making your own backups. Cloud services, no matter how good, can fail, and not only that, they're out of your control. If you have your own redundant backups, they're always available to you, no matter whether you're short on money and can't afford a paid service anymore, or whether the free service you trusted turned its back on you – and you're also covered in case you don't have internet access for some reason. Do I need to mention the privacy benefits of keeping your own backups too?

Cloud services are very convenient, but must be used wisely.

Reactions: Littlebits

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I only stick to the reputable ones like Onedrive or google drive. I do have a Box account and also mega but usually only use the first two.

Reactions: Littlebits and Ink

Dark Knight

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I could care less what they do, what gets me though is that only after about 4 months of offering the 1 TB for free they turn around and do this?
Now I understand, I have a choice that I could either pay or not pay .... which I won't, not because I can't afford it because I can, but because I do not trust a company whose company model was to offer something for free to turn around and start charging for it because they realized they can rake in millions with it, the same with SugarSync and Sandboxie.
Had they grandfathered in the older free accounts and just left them free without the 1 gb per login increase and stopped offering free accounts from here on out that would have been fine, but the mass email and blog post suggests that either you pay or we delete your account, it was crass and smug and that I just will not go for.

BTW @Jaspion - I do make hard backups and store them, that and this is not the point, it's about a greedy company doing a bait and switch and actually getting away with it because complacency has become the norm these days. They need to be held accountable to an extent.

@kjdemuth If Microsoft or Google suddenly turned around and said "pay for your cloud service or lose it" you'd probably lose your mind ..... wouldn't you?

It's the same principle of a drug dealer giving a potential customer their first few crack rocks for free ..... then he starts charging them. They sink the hook and then yank the line.

Last edited:

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I would but I doubt they would. They use their services to advertise. I'm sure that either Microsoft or Google wouldn't partake of the bait and switch tactic. I know that Microsoft offered 10 GB extra storage for a year but they were very up front about it. I can't imagine the negative publicity it would incur if they pulled some shenanigans like that.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Most cloud services offer 2 GB for free, some 5 and some 10 GBs. Some services hold promotions for short spans and provide some extra space. So, if some one suddenly starts to provide 1 TB or more then there has to be something fishy about it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Alternatively, you can spend what you'd normally pay for a yearly subscription on a portable HDD, and in the long term you'll save more.

Dark Knight

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Most cloud services offer 2 GB for free, some 5 and some 10 GBs. Some services hold promotions for short spans and provide some extra space. So, if some one suddenly starts to provide 1 TB or more then there has to be something fishy about it.

Here in the U.S. it is that way, for some reason companies here in the U.S. are cheesy with their storage space .
Yunio is not the only one that offers tons of space, Baidu is another which offers 2TB of space for free and has been that way for quite some time, Yunpan is another that offers 360 GB for free. The problem with the last two are that you must use a browser that translates on the fly such as Chrome because the entire sites are in Korean, Japanese or Chinese. Oh and if you decide to use either of the last two, stick with web upload, their desktop apps are not in English.

gonwk

Verified
Feb 4, 2014
I only stick to the reputable ones like Onedrive or google drive. I do have a Box account and also mega but usually only use the first two.

Hi kjdemuth,

Just out of curiosity, how Safe & Private is "OneDrive" and even more so "Google Drive" is!?!?

Thanks,

G! :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
SugarSync did the same bait and switch offering 7GB free storage to users, then after 60 days they send you an email that your account is set for delete in 30 days if you don't buy a paid subscription. So basically you loose all of your data if you don't buy. SugarSync no longer offers permanent free storage, so don't signup unless you intend to buy.

If you want free online storage use OneDrive or Google Drive since they are large companies they will honor your free account and you only pay if you want more storage space.

Buy an external hard drive and store you important data on it, external hard drives are much cheaper than paying for subscription services.

Thanks. :D

Reactions: Koroke San
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.