App Review Zemana AntiMalware vs some Worms

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
All these worms are scary - cruelsister, apart from Comodo are there any other AV's out there that can deal with these harsh viruses, watching your previous video's not many actually work?

Where you trying out new Jimmy Choo shoes, so there was a slight delay producing the video :)

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Tony (and Solar)- When worms like these are true zero-day malware no traditional AV will touch them. That's why they are the Blackhat's malware of choice in retail breaches (and also why Corporations are moving toward virtualization solutions). The additional issue with malware such as this is that in addition to raw definition based defection the scanner must be strong enough to detect all of the traces so resurrection isn't possible.

For a second opinion scanner I am eagerly anticipating version 11 of Emsisoft's Emergency Scanner. It appears that they are targeting this exact gap in detection.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Tony (and Solar)- When worms like these are true zero-day malware no traditional AV will touch them. That's why they are the Blackhat's malware of choice in retail breaches (and also why Corporations are moving toward virtualization solutions). The additional issue with malware such as this is that in addition to raw definition based defection the scanner must be strong enough to detect all of the traces so resurrection isn't possible.

For a second opinion scanner I am eagerly anticipating version 11 of Emsisoft's Emergency Scanner. It appears that they are targeting this exact gap in detection.

Did you tried the beta 11 version of Emsisoft Antimalware? Many changes in the behavior blocker and in the real time guard seems to be inspired by your videos (just a feeling).

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Salutations, Greetings!

Could you test WinantiRansom Pre-beta? Would love to see if WinantiRansom Pre-beta work with-out question!
Really enjoyed the review on Zemana! Wondering, if having the real-time protection on would have made a different?

Last edited:
Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Moose- Great minds think alike! I'm waiting for the final release in order to test it fairly (it's now up to beta 4). I also have to contact Rulware first to make sure that I run the test in an acceptable manner.

About ZAM in real-time, they have been releasing constant beta's to improve this area. Once things are finalized we can revisit it.

Reactions: done and Moose

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Interested to see if the real time protection would totally prevent the infection from occurring or not, my guess is it probably will

Reactions: Azure

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Thanks Cruelsister, so Comodo's sandbox (in these more dangerous situations) really comes in handy - do worms attack homeusers, or more directed at enterprises?

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Interested to see if the real time protection would totally prevent the infection from occurring or not, my guess is it probably will
Especially with the pandora realtime analysis since it claims it will dramatically increase zero day protection.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Cruelsister,
Did Zemana (as Hmp and Mb) detect some of these malwares before infecting the system or are these all 0 day?

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I totally agree with you. You certainly have been releasing betas at a fast and furious rate with significant improvements in each build (which in itself speaks highly of the Development Team). I do have ZAM scheduled for a redo when the beta is finalized. I'm actually anticipating perfection on this area.

In the Worm video series, as I used the current released versions of Malwarebytes and NitmanPro (both of which ZAM surpassed) this precluded me (in fairness) from using a ZAM beta.

And thank you for your presence here at MT!

M

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.