Zero-Day Detection . . . . Where is it?

ExpLoID

Thread author
May 22, 2012
An alarming trend seems to be showing up in a lot of security suites. Detection of zero-day threats is at an all time low. A zero-day threat is a piece of malware that is new enough that it has not yet been detected by an anti-malware company and thus they do not have a signature for it. Several high profile antivirus and anti-malware suites have failed this portion of testing ever since it was implemented in the Malware Geek standard test in September. The group includes Symantec's Norton Internet Security, McAfee Internet Security, avast! Antivirus, Avira Antivirus, Sunbelt's Vipre Internet Security, Dr. Web Security Space Pro, and Webroot SecureAnywhere. What is up? All of these well known and well respected security suites are lagging behind the times and are falling victim to unknown, silent malware. You would think that these well known companies would surely have some sort protection for those threats that they do not have a signature for. However, it is exactly the opposite. Are they just waiting for a bigger and more destructive piece of malware to come along before they do something about it? With hundreds of new pieces of malware released on a daily basis, you CANNOT rely solely upon signatures to catch everything.

>http://malware-geek.blogspot.com/2011/11/zero-day-detection-where-is-it.html

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Relying on signatures is a 2005 tactic we all know that, Since then we have access the following and many various security suites and free antiviruses include atleast a few of the features below.

• Sandboxie (Or Virtualization in general)
  • Behavior Blockers
  • HIPS
  • Cloud / Reputation
  • Various Web Shields / Toolbars / Modules
  • Dedicated DNS for blocking malicious domains
  • Application Blacklisting
  • Advanced Configurable Firewalls
  • SmartScreen

:rolleyes:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Malware Maniac said:
Why are you getting your information from Malware Geek?

Because he one of the best people on YouTube for AV videos.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
i have been interested here...

My personal opinion if u want to protect your self against 0-day threats and even normal ones...Any AV wont be perfect.

so have multi-layered protection...use something along side your AV

something like MBAM pro or comodo D+

so a AV + MBAM Pro or comodo D+ will give 100% protection against 0-day and all kinds of malwares :rolleyes:

so this is my testimonial...i disagree with malware geek guys.

Thanks!

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Nothing can guarantee 100% Protection against zero day threats or every and any type of threat no matter how many security solutions are installed.

It will lower the risk of course but will not make your system invincible. :rolleyes:

You can put as many life boats as you want on a cruise liner, But those life boats aren't going to stop the cruise liner it self from sinking.

Thanks. :)

ExpLoID

Thread author
May 22, 2012
Malware Maniac said:
Why are you getting your information from Malware Geek?

For something really looks after I saw the video of him on youtube that had done testing

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.