ZeroDay's config.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I also use the mac time machine for backup.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You got one then, iMac or Macbook Pro?

ZeroDay

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Hi Earth,

I just got a mac mini, It runs great.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What specifications?

Ideal for in-home portability, like taking it to the lounge to watch HD movies.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I got the entry level model, Core i5 2.5GHz, 4gb of ram which I'll soon be upgrading, 500GB hard drive. I am missing windows a little bit, but I'm going to install that using bootcamp so I've got both. OS X is a pleasure to use though.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks Nedim :) MalwareCentre I just chose any free av as there's not many signatures required for mac malware so I just guessed they are all as good as each other. I'm also using a standard user account and I've got gatekeeper locked down, but I'm a very safe user anyway so I'm being over cautious if anything.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Don't know much about Apple's OS, so can't help there, but apart from that everything looks good. :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
McLovin said:
Don't know much about Apple's OS, so can't help there, but apart from that everything looks good. :)

I haven't used a Mac in many years, back when I did, I didn't like the Apple OS compared to Windows or Linux.

Apple OS were too limited on supported software, maybe that has changed since it has been awhile since I tried Apple OS.

Thanks. :D

ZeroDay

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
One thing I will say about Mountain Lion is; That it's very! Ram hungry. If I'm running 3 tabs on chrome, have my messenger app open and run qbittorrent at the same time I can feel the system get sluggish, I don't think 4gb of ram is enough for Mountain Lion, it should either ship with 6gb or, like my brothers iMac, ship with the 4gb plus 512 gb gfx card. 4gb, in my opinion is not enough for Mountain Lion to run smoothly.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for the info, how much RAM does the OS use upon login / idle? I assume it's more than Windows 7, with the equivalent amount of RAM.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Earth, here is my ram usage with only google chrome running with 3 tabs & Avast running also. Apart from that I had no other programs running at the time.

0zxAbhW.png

ZeroDay

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I have read though that memory consumption is going to be much improved in Mavericks. I'm upgrading the ram to 16gb, I'll never use that much ram but I figure if I'm going to upgrade the ram I may aswell max it out.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Yeah. For me moutain lion doesn't seem to run to great on 4gb of ram when 512 of that ram is for shared video memory. My brothers iMac shipped for 4gb ddr3 and a 512 graphics card and he doesn't seem to have the issues I have. I honestly think they need to ship the mac mini with more ram, to allow for the shared video memory. 4gb isn't enough for mountain lion.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Just an update: Since I freshly installed Mavericks I've not reinstalled any security software. I'm just using the built in OS X Firewall. From what I've read the infections in the wild for OS X are mainly all trojans which require the user to install them. So I've decided AV isn't needed on my mac. I'm still undecided about installing Windows in bootcamp, but obviously if I do I'll use AV on that.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Mavericks is a free update, how did the process go? Any issues with Gmail?

Did you use this method? - Noticed it's 5.2GB, much larger than any Windows OS.
http://mashable.com/2013/10/23/clean-install-os-x-mavericks/

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.