Status
Not open for further replies.

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Act of promotion, nothing new or maybe still not updated. If you ask me...Big mistake.
Where is the beta version?

Zonealarm as firewall, nothing more.
I'm still with my Norton;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Littlebits

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Act of promotion, nothing new or maybe still not updated. If you ask me...Big mistake.
Where is the beta version?

Zonealarm as firewall, nothing more.
I'm still with my Norton;)

I will have to agree this was just a promotional act to maybe get a few more sales from home users.
I see nothing at all different in the new version number, still nothing posted on their homepage or their forums.

Enjoy!! :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

I installed ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall on one of my spare systems no place on the program does it say anything about "2015".

bWVLYn5.png

However it is now posted on their forums as "2015".

ZoneAlarm® Free Antivirus + Firewall version 13.0.208.000
  • New: Privacy Toolbar with Internet Explorer 11 support
  • Updated: Antivirus engine
  • Updated: UI minor adjustments

ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security version 13.0.208.000
  • New: Advanced Real-Time Antivirus (Real-Time Cloud Protection)
  • New: Threat Emulation
  • New: Find My Laptop
  • New: Anti-Keylogger
  • Improved: Enhanced Browser Protection (Web Monitor)
  • Improved: PC Tune-Up

ZoneAlarm® Internet Security Suite version 13.0.208.000
  • New: Advanced Real-Time Antivirus (Real-Time Cloud Protection)
  • New: Anti-Keylogger
  • Improved: Enhanced Browser Protection (Web Monitor)
ZoneAlarm® Pro and Free version 13.0.208.000
http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc...&sg=1&st=601081&documentid=345310&action=view

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
ZoneAlarm is junk at this point and nobody should not test because it makes a mess on the pc when it comes to malware protection

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Since u installed zonealarm latest version, how it's ver 13 firewall compare to CFW or OA ? thnx :D
I just installed it in Sandboxie, I don't intend on using it. I have used it before and its best feature is its AV based on Kaspersky engine.
If you want free Kaspersky then it is your only option. The firewall itself is very good and more user-friendly than Comodo and Online Armor. It doesn't have advanced HIPS features but who really needs them on modern Windows with UAC? Who really needs a firewall now days on modern Windows since Windows Firewall does an excellent job?

The worst part about ZoneAlarm is its sloppy online installer which takes forever and the included adware toolbar.
Once you get it installed then it is unlikely you will have any other problems with it.
ZoneAlarm is still a good product but just not good for novice users because of the installer and toolbar.
There are better free products to choose over ZoneAlarm.

I don't really like how Checkpoint trying to promote this ''2015" when they hardly did any improvements to it if any at all.
The changelogs appeared to be fake, since the AV engine is still the same version as the last three releases.

When a new year version of products are released by any software vendor, users can usually tell the differences without reading the changelogs. In Checkpoint's case, you can tell they did anything at all. Over the years Checkpoint has almost completely ignored ZoneAlarm's development. It is sad because ZoneAlarm could have been a much better product. They are probably going to discontinue it soon.

I believe this is their last effort to get some sales of their home user products before they shut them down and only focus on enterprise solutions.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I just installed it in Sandboxie, I don't intend on using it. I have used it before and its best feature is its AV based on Kaspersky engine.
If you want free Kaspersky then it is your only option. The firewall itself is very good and more user-friendly than Comodo and Online Armor. It doesn't have advanced HIPS features but who really needs them on modern Windows with UAC? Who really needs a firewall now days on modern Windows since Windows Firewall does an excellent job?

The worst part about ZoneAlarm is its sloppy online installer which takes forever and the included adware toolbar.
Once you get it installed then it is unlikely you will have any other problems with it.
ZoneAlarm is still a good product but just not good for novice users because of the installer and toolbar.
There are better free products to choose over ZoneAlarm.

I don't really like how Checkpoint trying to promote this ''2015" when they hardly did any improvements to it if any at all.
The changelogs appeared to be fake, since the AV engine is still the same version as the last three releases.

When a new year version of products are released by any software vendor, users can usually tell the differences without reading the changelogs. In Checkpoint's case, you can tell they did anything at all. Over the years Checkpoint has almost completely ignored ZoneAlarm's development. It is sad because ZoneAlarm could have been a much better product. They are probably going to discontinue it soon.

I believe this is their last effort to get some sales of their home user products before they shut them down and only focus on enterprise solutions.

thnx littlebits :D

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Why do vendors fail like this?

Is it possible then for vendors like kaspersky or bitdefender to go down the same path like this one?

Reactions: Koroke San

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Why do vendors fail like this?

Is it possible then for vendors like kaspersky or bitdefender to go down the same path like this one?

Many reasons why software vendors fail:
1. Poor business management and/or poor customer support.
2. Lack of on-going development (new features, GUI, OS support, compatibility, etc)
3. Bad investments (acquiring other companies to make profits which fail)
4. Advertising (poor, false or fake, lack of, etc.)
5. The need of demand for products.(which includes competitors)
6. Poor sales of their products (which can be caused by all of the above)

Why did ZoneAlarm fail?
It was a combinations of all the above.

ZoneAlarm was one of the first personal firewall software to become popular with users back in the days of Windows 2000 and XP.
This is when there were not many other firewalls available so there was very little competitor products available and none was as good as ZoneAlarm. ZoneAlarm was made by ZoneLabs Inc, based in the United States but then was acquired in 2004 by CheckPoint based in Israel. CheckPoint was not into software development, they were a hardware based IT security, enterprise and network security company. After they acquired ZoneLabs, the development starting to go slow and ZoneAlarm was not updated as often as before.
Then competitor products over passed ZoneAlarm and started to get better. Checkpoint had sloppy management, customer support and continued to acquire other companies which failed to make profits. Checkpoint also used poor and fake advertising promotions which failed to impress most users. Read more here.

Yes it is possible the same thing can happen to any software company. Some of it has already happened to many companies.
Larger companies acquire smaller companies and either discontinue their products or turn them into junk.

It is sad because ZoneLabs had a bright future and probably would have continued to make excellent security products if they were not acquired by CheckPoint. The world of business is all about making profits and limitation of the competitors. Most businesses don't care about their customers or making quality products.

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Enterprise users mean big money. That's why they almost completely ignored the Zonealarm line.

I still like the firewall.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
ZoneAlarm 2015 released
http://www.zonealarm.com/blog/2014/...y-suites-giving-you-the-best-protection-ever/

What’s New in ZoneAlarm Extreme Security?
While an antivirus and firewall are essential components to the basic security of any PC, advanced threats call for advanced security measures. To address this, ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security, our top of the line suite in our 2015 product line, offers you maximum protection, with four new key features: Threat Emulation, Find My Laptop, Advanced Real-Time Antivirus, and Enhanced Browser Protection. How do these new features provide you with maximum protection?​

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
ZoneAlarm 2015 released
http://www.zonealarm.com/blog/2014/...y-suites-giving-you-the-best-protection-ever/

What’s New in ZoneAlarm Extreme Security?
While an antivirus and firewall are essential components to the basic security of any PC, advanced threats call for advanced security measures. To address this, ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security, our top of the line suite in our 2015 product line, offers you maximum protection, with four new key features: Threat Emulation, Find My Laptop, Advanced Real-Time Antivirus, and Enhanced Browser Protection. How do these new features provide you with maximum protection?​
btw is their Threat Emulation is like a sandbox

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
well, guys i show you how Webroot can install along with ZoneAlarm nor Kaspersky, Eset..and all Virus guards, if you wish to upgrade eg WSA old version was installed on your PC, what to do.. just Install it...overwrite with the new WSA installer WSA
will automatically detect and activate just one of latest WSA version.
when you install wsa just take time in seconds...i bet. try it by yourself
screenshot ESS 7.0.302.26 and WSA 8.0.4.70 handshake + MBAM/KIS/ESET Handshake

Webroot WSA 8.0.4.70 and Eset Smart Security 7.0.302.26 on system tray
eset_wsa_tray.png

eset_wsa.jpg

MalwareBytes AntiMAlware 2.1,Kaspersky 14 Insternet Security & Eset Anti Virus 7 Handshake

mke.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.