New Update Zorin 16.2

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I hate to admit it but I bit off more than I care to chew with Linux. It is a neat OS, some parts are interesting how they work, but it ran too slow for me.

C.H.
I put Zorin 16.2 on VMware last night, and it just worked and intuitive desktop.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I put Zorin 16.2 on VMware last night, and it just worked and intuitive desktop.
Thanks for the tip. I tried some other version of Zorin before but it was hard to use, I did not like it much. The v. 16.2 does look much better though. Do you know if it is possible to turn off the jelly mode effect on windows? I probably would not care too much for that but otherwise it looks good and I might try Zorin again.

Thanks.

C.H.

Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thanks for the tip. I tried some other version of Zorin before but it was hard to use, I did not like it much. The v. 16.2 does look much better though. Do you know if it is possible to turn off the jelly mode effect on windows? I probably would not care too much for that but otherwise it looks good and I might try Zorin again.

Thanks.

C.H.
I did see some reference to jelly mode, but it seemed like something that needed to be enabled and I did not since about that I was clueless.

Last edited:

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I did see some reference to jelly mode, but it seemed like something that needed to be enabled and I did not since about that I was clueless.
Thanks again for the tip about Zorin 16.2. The other day when I tested Zorin it must have been some other possibly older distro, it was nothing like this 16.2. I have to say this one works great, is very fast and seems to be easier to figure out and use than Mint. I thought Firefox looked good in Mint but in Zorin it really looks great. The default font helps a lot with gray text. I have been playing around with Zorin for the last hour or so and am really impressed with it. I am going to keep checking it out via the flash drive for a while, there is a lot to learn but so far I am very impressed with this version of Zorin. It may very well wind up as my replacement for Windows/Edge/Chrome.

I also did see that you can turn off Jelly mode in settings. In fact the default setting for it is off.

Thanks.

C.H.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thanks again for the tip about Zorin 16.2. The other day when I tested Zorin it must have been some other possibly older distro, it was nothing like this 16.2. I have to say this one works great, is very fast and seems to be easier to figure out and use than Mint. I thought Firefox looked good in Mint but in Zorin it really looks great. The default font helps a lot with gray text. I have been playing around with Zorin for the last hour or so and am really impressed with it. I am going to keep checking it out via the flash drive for a while, there is a lot to learn but so far I am very impressed with this version of Zorin. It may very well wind up as my replacement for Windows/Edge/Chrome.

I also did see that you can turn off Jelly mode in settings. In fact the default setting for it is off.

Thanks.

C.H.
here I am running Zorin again tonight in VMware. Day2 test for me. I shut it down last night because I wanted to watch some youtube and video was not win10 quality, but for me Zorin was better than Fedora re video and sound. My hunch is Fedora can do better when properly tweaked, not there yet. I need to play more with Zorin, but so it's the best for me in terms of out of the box it all works with my hardware close to 100%. We're OT so perhaps we should move this to Linux thread. I plan to keep at least one linux on my VMware :unsure:

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Quick note re Zorin 16.2, I've been using it for 2 days, and so far really good with my hardware & VMware. Installation was smooth, and sound and video with Firefox eg at youtube are as good as win10. Only annoying issue I'm having is with my mechanical keyboard, I have to find the right driver as it does not see the number keypad on the right side and I keep hitting those keys from habit which bounces the cursor around the page. I think it's a corsair kb. Searching for that driver now

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Thanks for sharing your experience with Zorin 16.2! It's great to hear that the installation went smoothly and that you're finding it to be a good fit for your hardware and virtual environment. I understand that some keyboard compatibility issues can be frustrating, but I'm glad to hear that you're actively searching for a solution. Best of luck with finding the right driver!

• HaHa

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
update re Zorin 16.2 Core running as Guest OS on my VMware with win10 Host. I fixed my keyboard snafu with Zorin, and now it's seamless! I have 2 monitors, Host on left | Guest on right, and delightful. Highly recommended! :D Sound and video are as good as or better! than win10. Zorin exceeding all expectations here!!! I may even buy the Pro version as a thankful donation!

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
update2: Zorin 16.2 continues to be running aok in VMware, all hardware working, good sound & video on web, BUT my vpn reports it has DNS leak :eek: double checked this a few ways and the DNS leak persists. Note no DNS leak on Host or when I'm running win10_vm_guest, so the problem appears to be with Zorin? I asked about this DNS leak with Zorin folks, curious to see what they say and how long it takes to get a good reply & better a fix.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I set Zorin up for dual boot and it worked ok but there were some things I did not like about it. Zorin looks great but for me it is much more complicated than Mint. I am going to try Mint one more time in dual boot and see if I can get it to work correctly. The slow FF that I had in Mint the last time I used it may have just been a problem with my ISP. Zorin was very fast when I tried it out yesterday. With all the new problems at MS I think it will be a smart move to migrate to some form of Linux as soon as I can.

C.H.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I am back using Mint Cinnamon again now and I can definitely say out of all the distro's I tried I like Mint the best. It is easier to use and functions a lot more like Windows. So far on this go-around I have had no trouble with slow websites. Mint is running great now. I am still dual booting it on my old Windows 10 laptop but now I will probably set up my newer Windows 11 laptop to dual boot Mint too. I normally use my W11 laptop as my daily driver but I wanted to install and test Linux on the older W10 laptop just in case I made any mistakes and damaged the laptop. I did make some mistakes when I first started this Linux experiment and had to reinstall Windows but since then everything is fine. I still have a lot to learn but if I had known before how good Linux really is I would have made the switch a long time ago.

C.H.

Reactions: oldschool

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Had been running Zorin 16.2 Core in VMware, today I finally got around to upgrading to 16.3 Pro. I enjoyed Zorin enough to donate some months ago and finally got around to upgrading to Pro. The upgrade itself went very smoothly from inside 16.2 Core. I was smart enough to save my Pro code where I could find it, and it ran more like a update than a full upgrade. Zorin works for me :cool:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I want to try it on my 9 years old laptop, but I'm afraid I'll damage current Windows installation. Does anyone use it on 5400 RPM HDD; does it work faster than Windows 10?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.