Tech News Zorin OS 18 Broke Download Records on Windows 10 EOL Day

Technology News
54 Replies 5,746 Views
I installed ZorinOS Lite on a old laptop with Pentium T4300 and 2 GB RAM. It runs like garbage. On the other hand, Windows 7 works flawlessly. I don't know what to install on it to still be somewhat usable for surfing the web.
Surely if you replace the hard drive by installing an SSD you will make it faster. After that you could try Kubuntu, I use it on a 20-year-old Asus laptop on which I installed an SSD, 4GB of RAM and an Intel Core Duo 2. Of course you can't do complex graphics work, 4K video editing, etc., but for normal use of office documents, web browsing, email, listening to music and watching movies it's fine.

Otherwise you can try the lite version of Zorin or Lubuntu.
 
I asked chatGPT about win11 LTSC (& win10 LTSC) and it says it is hard for consumers to get it legitimately. How is LTSC typically acquired?

Surely if you replace the hard drive by installing an SSD you will make it faster. After that you could try Kubuntu, I use it on a 20-year-old Asus laptop on which I installed an SSD, 4GB of RAM and an Intel Core Duo 2. Of course you can't do complex graphics work, 4K video editing, etc., but for normal use of office documents, web browsing, email, listening to music and watching movies it's fine.

Otherwise you can try the lite version of Zorin or Lubuntu.
I could but the laptop is from 2010 so I don't think it worth buying an SSD. The main use for the laptop will be just transferring photos and videos from phone to free up internal memory and maybe sending e-mail once in century. Yes, I know there's cloud for that, but my parents don't want to pay for cloud storage when they have free 250 GB HDD in that laptop. I explained the benefits, they don't want to listen so...🤷‍♂️

Anyways, I will try Windows 10 LTSC later today. I mean if Windows 7 ran perfectly, then Windows 10 LTSC should as well. Lubuntu is the last choice. Thanks everyone!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So... Windows 10 LTSC runs terrible; 85% of memory usage in idle an HDD is pretty much always at 100%. Lubuntu will be next to test.
 
Last edited:
a ridiculous product, I paid for zorin 18 pro just to see how things are, shame on everyone who lies to others, how to switch from windows to a product that gives you headaches!
Nothing works properly, be careful!
I did not stay with Zorin or Zorin Pro, but both worked in my VMware fwiw. My current preference is fedora 43.
 
@DJDANY i for one would not pay for zorin pro. I remember I tried zorin in the distant past. Something went wrong but I can't remember what now. If you haven't given up on Linux, and I wouldn't, give Ubuntu a whirl. Much bigger user community. They even have certs for professionals who plan on supporting the platform for corps. There is also a large population of developers who use it as their daily driver. If you have problems you can post to Ubuntu Community Hub and you will get an answer. MS partnered with them for their implementation of Linux on Windows.
 
Last edited:
I installed ZorinOS Lite on a old laptop with Pentium T4300 and 2 GB RAM. It runs like garbage. On the other hand, Windows 7 works flawlessly. I don't know what to install on it to still be somewhat usable for surfing the web.
antix Linux is always recommended as a lightweight distro for old hardware. I tried it once a few years ago in a VM. Don't remember much now.
 
@DJDANY, can you explain exactly what problems you encountered with Zorin? Did you contact the support team and did they respond to you?
I explained, it is not an operating system for an average user, there is a lot of advertising that it is ideal to switch from Windows to this operating system, I'll tell you that much, don't complicate things!
 
I simply gave up because there's no OS that could run normally on this laptop. I think it will stay on Windows 7 and be used exclusively offline for storing photos. Nothing works as fast as Windows 7 and even if I find a web browser supporting it, as someone said, modern websites are too heavy for the hardware. Mobile versions might get a pass, but they look ridiculously big on the device.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top