Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Qihoo has a very good detection but it's very buggy with me and my friends but you can try avast and qihoo :)

Which version? Total or Internet Security? Because as far as i know Total Security has some false positives and as i wrote before is STILL under development

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Your experience about Avast is interesting! Thanks for the info! I also find 360 very light if avira & bitdefender engines are not enabled.
Καλή μας τύχη το βράδυ!! Are you greek too?

Και ΒΕΒΑΙΑ ειμαι (of course i am);)

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
I don't like avast :D
I prefer Qihoo IS but i have some little problems

Me too but i didn't experience any problems.....
By the way, i have subscribed to your youtube channel a long time ago, i like your reviews,hope to watch more frequent tests from you....;)

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
What whitelists? I have used Avast for many years and never knew anything about a whitelist.

Thanks. :D
i was talking about excluding programs/process/file/folder in avast. I wasn't sure how avast whitelist work so i downloaded a patch from torrent to test it how it whitelist works against false positive. Avast gives me waring it's virus ( obliviously coz pirated stuf flagged by AV mostly ), it gives me option to remove,delete,quarantine etc.. But didn't see anything about whitelist like avast hardened mode do. Then i exclude it on hardened mode, deep screen & in real time protection but even i can't open the patch & the cursor was loading. Then i disable avast shield but even i can't open the patch & then i enable shield but it says 1 shield is inactive, i click reslove many times but shield was not active, i checked in settings & all 3 shield was active, probably a bug or the real time shield was messing with that patch. Then i restarted my pc but it freezes my restart & shows my cursor there, i'm very disappointment. Never a AV shows me a cursor during restart. So i manually restart it & uninstall avast & here we go, patch opens successfully. So it's whitelist don't work well as i thought plus u can't whitelist a file, u need to whitelist entire folder which creates a security risk ( wut if a virus jumps on that folder which is already in exclusion list ). Plus it's UI seems me like bloatware(ads) & confusing, not like old avast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rahadian Putra

DaveDN

Level 1
Verified
Oct 9, 2013
Used both for my Android device, 360 is more heavy ,Has frequent updates and fast but drains battery.Avast is light equally good in detection but slow(Little bit).Presently with Avast.

Reactions: Littlebits

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
i was talking about excluding programs/process/file/folder in avast. I wasn't sure how avast whitelist work so i downloaded a patch from torrent to test it how it whitelist works against false positive. Avast gives me waring it's virus ( obliviously coz pirated stuf flagged by AV mostly ), it gives me option to remove,delete,quarantine etc.. But didn't see anything about whitelist like avast hardened mode do. Then i exclude it on hardened mode, deep screen & in real time protection but even i can't open the patch & the cursor was loading. Then i disable avast shield but even i can't open the patch & then i enable shield but it says 1 shield is inactive, i click reslove many times but shield was not active, i checked in settings & all 3 shield was active, probably a bug or the real time shield was messing with that patch. Then i restarted my pc but it freezes my restart & shows my cursor there, i'm very disappointment. Never a AV shows me a cursor during restart. So i manually restart it & uninstall avast & here we go, patch opens successfully. So it's whitelist don't work well as i thought plus u can't whitelist a file, u need to whitelist entire folder which creates a security risk ( wut if a virus jumps on that folder which is already in exclusion list ). Plus it's UI seems me like bloatware(ads) & confusing, not like old avast.
I don't have any problems excluding false positives there is no bugs in that feature, Avast only detects 4 on system anyway, once I added them to the exclusions on the shields I never had another problem with them. I don't use hardened mode or deepscreen, unless you are an complete novice user who doesn't know how to download files safely both of these features are useless. Your performance issues with Avast are probably because you either have incompatible security products still installed or you did not completely uninstall your previous security products. I suggest using AV removal tools and system reboot before installing a new security product. Left over boot drivers from previous security products can cause major problems with your current security products. I use Avast on 3 systems and none have any of the problems that you described. Many of my customers also use Avast because it never gives them any problems of coarse they don't continuously keep changing the AV.

I have stated many times how to block all ads using Windows Firewall just block inbound and outbound connections to "avastui.exe".

If Avast is too complicated for you then maybe you need MSE or Windows Defender on Win8.
I use Windows Defender on my Windows 8 laptop and it works excellent along with the other default security features.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: conceptualclarity

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I don't have any problems excluding false positives there is no bugs in that feature, Avast only detects 4 on system anyway, once I added them to the exclusions on the shields I never had another problem with them. I don't use hardened mode or deepscreen, unless you are an complete novice user who doesn't know how to download files safely both of these features are useless. Your performance issues with Avast are probably because you either have incompatible security products still installed or you did not completely uninstall your previous security products. I suggest using AV removal tools and system reboot before installing a new security product. Left over boot drivers from previous security products can cause major problems with your current security products. I use Avast on 3 systems and none have any of the problems that you described. Many of my customers also use Avast because it never gives them any problems of coarse they don't continuously keep changing the AV.

I have stated many times how to block all ads using Windows Firewall just block inbound and outbound connections to "avastui.exe".

If Avast is too complicated for you then maybe you need MSE or Windows Defender on Win8.
I use Windows Defender on my Windows 8 laptop and it works excellent along with the other default security features.

Nope, i don't use any security products expect MBAM free. i refresh my system some days ago & installed avast & i don't think MBAM is incompatible with avast plus i always uninstall AV with revo & sure no trash is left on my pc plus & i'm aware of boot drivers & other left trash after complete installation of AV so i don't think it's a issue. Plus i see another bug that when i was in offline & click avast update from tray menu, then avast update was grayed out in tray menu right click option & can't update it from there when i was back online, so i need to go to settings to update it there. Plus i searched in google & found some peoples having trouble excluding files in whitelist, so i guess i'm not the only one. Plus IMO if a novice/advance using avast then u should need to use hardened mode & deep screen or u r losing it's 0 day protection even avast forum members tell u to do that. Plus i'm not interested in window default security coz it's not suits me, also u use Avira too, u didn't mentioned it :). So my final opinion for avast is a thumb down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Nope, i don't use any security products expect MBAM free. i refresh my system some days ago & installed avast & i don't think MBAM is incompatible with avast plus i always uninstall AV with revo & sure no trash is left on my pc plus & i'm aware of boot drivers & other left trash after complete installation of AV so i don't think it's a issue. Plus i see another bug that when i was in offline & click avast update from tray menu, then avast update was grayed out in tray menu right lick option & can't update it from there when i was back online, so i need to go to settings to update it there. Plus i searched in google & found some peoples having trouble excluding files in whitelist, so i guess i'm not the only one. Plus IMO if a novice/advance using avast then u should need to use hardened mode & deep screen or u r losing it's 0 day protection even avast forum members tell u to do that. Plus i'm not interested in window default security coz it's not suits me, also u use Avira too, u didn't mentioned it :). So my final opinion for avast is a thumb down.
Sure try Avira it is very light if you don't install web protection. I also recommend it to customers with low end systems and pc gamers.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Sure try Avira it is very light if you don't install web protection. I also recommend it to customers with low end systems and pc gamers.

But i searched in google & found avira was messing with MBAM/MBAE malware cleaning process then they suggest to disable avira protection until malware removal coz whitelist won't work. i guess 2014 is not incompatible with MBAM?

Need help configuring white list in Avira Free Antivirus
Avira blocking Malwarebytes from making registry ..
MBAM Pro makes Avira GUI very slow

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
But i searched in google & found avira was messing with MBAM/MBAE malware cleaning process then they suggest to disable avira protection until malware removal coz whitelist won't work. i guess 2014 is not incompatible with MBAM?

Need help configuring white list in Avira Free Antivirus
Avira blocking Malwarebytes from making registry ..
MBAM Pro makes Avira GUI very slow

Do you use MBAM Pro or just the free version? how often do you have to run cleanups?
It seems you are having problems with just about all AV's. Maybe AVG Free or Panda Cloud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.