Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
@Malware1 Thank you for the valuable feedback. :)
If you click on "Checkup" text, then it will open the checkup settings.
If you click on some place next to the text, it will open protection settings.

Bug confirmed and will be fixed in the next version.
The option "Trust applications with digital signature" is disabled by default.

Currently it is disabled by default to increase detection/protection. There is a plan to add filtering/customization to allow only specific companies. When it is added then I think it is good to enable it by default. ;)

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited:

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hello,

Crystal Security 3.5.0.125 released

Changelog
  • Improved Active protection
  • Improved On-access
  • Improved Uploads
  • Fixed several reported bugs
  • Updated notifications

Screenshots

1. Safe notification (auto-decision)

safe_notification-png.59409

2. Unsafe notification (auto-decision)

unsafe_notification-png.59410

3. Unsafe notification (user-decision)

unsafe_user_notification-png.59411

Two different types of downloads

Download installer version of Crystal Security 3.5.0.125
Download portable version of Crystal Security 3.5.0.125

Looking forward to your feedback. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Attachments

• Safe_notification.png
    Safe_notification.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 583
  • Unsafe_notification.png
    Unsafe_notification.png
    25 KB · Views: 580
  • Unsafe_user_notification.png
    Unsafe_user_notification.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 535

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Just updated and the new notification GUI is awesome :);)

@Klipsh Thanks for the screenshot and feedback. I am glad you like it. :)

I just noticed few bugs:

1. Advice is not changing
2. When file is unknown then Collective engine result should be Unknown too.

Both will be fixed in the next version. ;)

Regards,
Kardo

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Love the new changes so far. Using Bitdefender IS right now and have the settings cranked up so it force closed Crystal. Told it to allow and monitor (since that was the only choice it gave) and seems to work fine now. Will just add exclusions to end any conflicts. Don't want Bitdefender screwing with Crystal actions against files. I'm the type of person who really goes after heavily updated software so glad to see you updating this very often.

Only problem I keep facing though is Crystal not being able to check a file with VirusTotal which is why it a lot of the times keeps marking files as unknown. This happens with and without any VPN connection. I'd imagine Crystal checks VT using hashes unless it's not known by VT yet? If any information of this was posted or listed somewhere, sorry for bugging you with it. This thread is huge and haven't read through it much.

Last edited:

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Sent to Comodo.

Thanks. :) @Malware1
Nice job updating
@Dani Santos Thanks. :)
Love the new changes so far. Using Bitdefender IS right now and have the settings cranked up so it force closed Crystal. Told it to allow and monitor (since that was the only choice it gave) and seems to work fine now. Will just add exclusions to end any conflicts. Don't want Bitdefender screwing with Crystal actions against files. I'm the type of person who really goes after heavily updated software so glad to see you updating this very often.

@OokamiCreed Thank you for the feedback. I am glad you like it. :)
Only problem I keep facing though is Crystal not being able to check a file with VirusTotal which is why it a lot of the times keeps marking files as unknown. This happens with and without any VPN connection. I'd imagine Crystal checks VT using hashes unless it's not known by VT yet? If any information of this was posted or listed somewhere, sorry for bugging you with it. This thread is huge and haven't read through it much.

Hmm... Maybe something is still blocking connection? Please try to turn off other security programs temporarily and see if it helps.
and @Piteko21 goes download crystal security - with time is becoming much better;)

Thanks. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited:

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Hmm... Maybe something is still blocking connection? Please try to turn off other security programs temporarily and see if it helps. :)

Will do. I will admit I haven't tried that option. A little busy testing out some Linux builds at the moment so will do this later today. For now I'll make sure Bitdefender is allowing all connections to and from Crystal, as well as making it ignore all Crystals actions. So far with Bitdefender there has been zero messages of unknown files that aren't unknown. Maybe Bitdefender is the first IS that I tried that is allowing all connections? Other IS/FW had maxed out settings while Bitdefender doesn't have any particularly advanced settings to turn on or of.

I'll let you know if I find anything that may be interfering with Crystal. I would imagine something is conflicting with it's connection since I couldn't right click and analyze files that weren't known yet. They would just remain unknown.

Edit: I've tried analyzing unknown files and they immediately were queued and checked without fail. And I did make sure the files were actually on the system. I realize some deleted files like in the downloads folder remained there and can't be checked since they were long ago deleted.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
I'll let you know if I find anything that may be interfering with Crystal. I would imagine something is conflicting with it's connection since I couldn't right click and analyze files that weren't known yet. They would just remain unknown.

Thank you for the feedback. ;) @OokamiCreed
Edit: I've tried analyzing unknown files and they immediately were queued and checked without fail. And I did make sure the files were actually on the system. I realize some deleted files like in the downloads folder remained there and can't be checked since they were long ago deleted.

Is it correct that now it analyzed file via cloud?

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica and LAGUN

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Is it correct that now it analyzed file via cloud?

If it is the cloud that checks the files when you go to analyze them, then yes. Before it just said "unknown" and didn't even bother to queue up. Now it seems to work within 3 seconds so I'm happy with it. Been running it for about 2 hours now and there still hasn't been any problems with files being flagged as unknown. Probably just had a conflict with a firewall. Working well with Bitdefender's firewall and AV only conflicted with it due to maxed out Virus Control/Intrustion Prevention.

I've turned off Auto Decision and download 7-Zip to make sure it was scanning correctly and that all modules were working. Everything is working fine which wasn't before for me. Here is a screenshot:

Capture.png

My problem with unknowns however was with Windows system files. Those haven't popped up at all so I have to conclude that Crystal was being blocked from accessing the internet by some firewalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.