Crystal Security 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
After uninstalling bitdefender total security 2015 , crystal security started automatically scanning files and adding it in Overview. This did not happened until Bitdefender was uninstalled. As if bitdefender was stopping crystal security from doing this.

Also the location of files being added is not being shown properly.
In crystal security it show that file with location "c:mfc100.dll" has been added
CRYSTAL SECURITY ERROR_12-05-2015_09-10-00.jpg

But in reality the location is "c:\windows\SysWOW64\mfc100.dll"

CRYSTAL SECURITY ERROR_12-05-2015_09-10-06.jpg

Now crystal security has crashed

Error log : http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/kvgbwG4n/file.html

you can make a list of digital certificates that can be trusted. Applications that are signed by those certificates will be trusted.

What is "unrecognized" list all about?
how is it different from files that are classified as "UNKNOWN".

CRYSTAL SECURITY UBRECOGNIZED_12-05-2015_09-46-54.jpg

UPLOADS

One problem in Upload list is that , crystals security uploads files that has been added latest into the list

CRYSTAL SECURITY UPLOADS_12-05-2015_09-50-53.jpg

While the file that has been added first in the list has not been uploaded yet.
It would be better to upload files using method First In First Out . The files which are oldest in the queue list will be uploaded first.
CRYSTAL SECURITY UPLOADS_12-05-2015_09-51-07.jpg

Last edited:

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
After uninstalling bitdefender total security 2015 , crystal security started automatically scanning files and adding it in Overview. This did not happened until Bitdefender was uninstalled. As if bitdefender was stopping crystal security from doing this.

Also the location of files being added is not being shown properly.
In crystal security it show that file with location "c:mfc100.dll" has been added

@viktik Thank you for the screenshots and information. ;)

Question: I guess that On-access is enabled?

It will list all executable files in opened folder. Most of the issues seems to be caused by On-access for you. When I tested it then it worked correctly. Try to disable On-access analysis temporarily.

Interesting is that I got a lot of feedback that this version works like a charm. Only you and few other users reported some issues.

Regards,
Kardo

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
@viktik Thank you for the screenshots and information. ;)

Question: I guess that On-access is enabled?

It will list all executable files in opened folder. Most of the issues seems to be caused by On-access for you. When I tested it then it worked correctly. Try to disable On-access analysis temporarily.

Interesting is that I got a lot of feedback that this version works like a charm. Only you and few other users reported some issues.

Regards,
Kardo

yes the on access scanning is enabled.

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Crystal security is causing process hacker unable to close properly. reliability history shows process hacker stopped working.

Windows Explorer also stopped working when crystal security handles huge number of files.

CRYSTAL SECURITY PROCESS HACKER_12-05-2015_12-47-03.jpg

UPLOAD STATS

Queued files shows that 2737 files are in queue for upload

CRYSTAL SECURITY UPLOADS PROBLEM_12-05-2015_13-00-23.jpg

• In reality number of files in queue for upload are less than 2737.
  • Some of the 2737 files has already been uploaded has status "complete".

CRYSTAL SECURITY UPLOADS PROBLEM_12-05-2015_13-00-32.jpg

• The "Uploaded files " stats has increased from 2405 to 2437
  • But the "Queued files" number has not changed and it still 2737

CRYSTAL SECURITY UPLOADS PROBLEM_12-05-2015_13-07-56.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LAGUN

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
  • The "Uploaded files " stats has increased from 2405 to 2437
  • But the "Queued files" number has not changed and it still 2737

@viktik Suggestions for you:

1. Clear your Uploads and Unrecognized list (too many files to upload and unknown results are generated by API limit for you).
2. Please turn off On-access.
3. Turn off Uploads unknown

.. then Restart program.

If program causes too many problems for you then you may switch to some other program. You started using it since yesterday and there is no feedback from you when it was in BETA stage.

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited:

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
I use Crystal Security for about three months now and the only problem experienced was an error due to a crash when closing the program.

The problem was solved with the latest updates.;)

No issues for me, works fine.

@Klipsh Thank you for the support and feedback. :)

Regards,
Kardo

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Why is that maximum size of file that can be uploaded?

Files gets uploaded to virus-total or crystal security server?

What is "internal check" Engine?

CRYSTAL SECURITY 3.5 UNKNOWNS_13-05-2015_17-13-50.jpg

What is stealth guard?
what is silent mode?

CRYSTAL SECURITY 3.5 UNKNOWNS_13-05-2015_17-13-55.jpg

Scanning of active process not working. No active processes was scanned. None has been added to overview or white-list. Screenshot of current setting is shown below

CRYSTAL SECURITY 3.5 UNKNOWNS_13-05-2015_17-31-10.jpg

I downloaded two executable files. It did not get automatically scanned. i see these files as "created objects" which should be scanned by crystal security real-time protection.

• You can also keep a log of date and time of first scan .
  • The files is classified "safe" because almost no antivirus engine detected it as malware. But what if it is a new undetected malware.
  • Other files are classified as "Suspicious", "Unknown" and "Unsafe". If these files are new then they can be classified wrongly.
  • The solution is automatically rescan the files in Whitelist & Blacklist everyday, which are not more than three days old. In three days time if some zero day malwares that were classified "safe" will get detected by rescanning of it then it will be classified "Unsafe". All "Suspicious", "Unknown" and "Unsafe" will be scanned and reclassified in those three days. So overall all the files will scanned four times in four days, which will result in correct classification of those files.
CRYSTAL SECURITY SUGGESTION_13-05-2015_18-05-44.jpg

Add a setting to automatically remove files from Overview and Uploads that are more than older than a specified number of days. user can set the number of days.

Last edited:

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Add a crystal security shortcut in start menu. Also add shortcut for uninstaller.

Context menu entry remains even after uninstalling Crystal Security.

CRYSTAL SECURITY CONTEXT MENU_13-05-2015_20-27-29.jpg

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hi everyone,

I got a lot of feedback about 3.5.0.120 stable version and I decided to make post with Questions and Answers. :)

@viktik
Why is that maximum size of file that can be uploaded?

Answer: Maximum file size is 128 MB. There is a plan to add customizable limits for uploads.
Files gets uploaded to virus-total or crystal security server?

Answer: VirusTotal
What is "internal check" Engine?

Answer: It is one of the engines you can see under Settings. It is local and updateable databse - useful for offline users.
What is stealth guard?

Answer: When you enable it first time then all files in certain locations will be listed and trusted by default. When new (aka unknown) file arrives then it is untrusted by default. It is possible to add specific file to exclusions list manually and anytime. There is also a plan to add (allowed/blocked) history for Stealth Guard.
what is silent mode?

Answer: If silent mode is enabled then all notifications (results) are hidden.
Scanning of active process not working. No active processes was scanned. None has been added to overview or white-list.

Answer: if you mean already running processes then it is normal. When new program starts activity then it is detected as a new process creation and will be analyzed automatically.

1. Start Crystal Security
2. Now launch new program, e..g. Paint, Calculator
You can also keep a log of date and time of first scan .
Answer: I have a plan to add it to Notification (maybe under "Details" ).
The files is classified "safe" because almost no antivirus engine detected it as malware. But what if it is a new undetected malware.

Answer: Point of the question? There is no product with 100% detection/removal (unless it is default-deny, but even then everything is possible).
The solution is automatically rescan the files in Whitelist & Blacklist everyday, which are not more than three days old.

Answer: Another user also suggested it. I'll try to add it. Thanks. ;)
Add a setting to automatically remove files from Overview and Uploads that are more than older than a specified number of days. user can set the number of days.

Answer: I'll think about it.
Add a crystal security shortcut in start menu. Also add shortcut for uninstaller.

Answer: If you mean shortcut created during installation then I can't add it because I am using free version of Advanced Installer.
Context menu entry remains even after uninstalling Crystal Security.

Answer: Currently only workaround is to disable shell integration before uninstallation or another solution is to disable context menu entry automatically when program is closed (exited from tray menu).

@Malware1
Why would you upload a file and not check the results later?

Answer: Unknown file is queued for certain interval. After some interval unknown file is checked again via collective cloud (VT).
Please also enable on-access scan by default and stop scanning signed files at VT so they have fewer API requests.

Answer: I am not sure if it is good idea to enable on-access by default. Got several reports that it may cause performance issues for some users. Signed files are skipped/white-listed by default without any analysis via cloud.
CS uploads the file,but even when its checked, i can select anyway "Upload file for analysis" in the alert (what is that going to do? double upload)

Answer: Yeah. This behavior will be improved in the next version. ;)
When all clouds and other checks are selected in the engine list, not only heur check, then when the scanned file isn't present at VT and the heur detects the file, the Unknown alert is shown. In other words, the heur check should have the highest priority level.

Please fix this.
Answer: Active protection engine will be improved/updated with next or newer version. ;)
Please also make a custom scan option in the program, not only via right click.(I think there was a right click scan,but can't find it now)

Answer: Enable Shell integration and click Apply (wait a momemt). After that you can analyze files via right-click context menu.
I unchecked on-access scan, but it still works!

Answer: I just tested (several times) and it works correctly. Maybe you forgot to click Apply under Settings.

Answers to other questions (quoted from other Forum)
I checked Statistics and looked OK, but a little confusing over the Queuing of files.
Over that, does that mean 1 Queued mean one is getting check and the file Queued is waiting to be checked?
Answer: Yes. It means that file is "waiting" stage. So after some interval it should be analyzed by active protection.
Surely If you run Quick check up / Advance it would detect those bad files, on which got upload by not running anything?

Answer: Checkup is actually separated from Active protection. It means that all files will be listed and classified again because there is possibility that one file rating is changed from Safe to Unsafe etc.. And all files classified in Checkup are not listed/added in Whitelist because it may cause performance issues and slowdowns.
A few other things I have noticed. Since this is a Stable version! Why does it still have Install BETA Updates shown Under General

Answer: Because next version may be BETA. Then if this option is enabled user will be automatically updated to new BETA version. If user don't want to install BETA version then he/she can skip BETA versions (just disable "Install BETA Updates" option).
Over on Behaviour under Notifications Show/Hide all the boxed are check is that used for the alert icon that pop-up in the bottom right of screen and Safe files does not need to be checked?

Answer: Notifications for Safe files are hidden by default. It is recommended to show only Unsafe/Suspicious and maybe Unknown objects too. There is no reason to show each alert about safe files. Some users like to monitor ALL events (including safe ones).
Under Protection: Where you have trust applications with digital signature. Do I keep that check? I did check it and it just says [signed] for Opera and 3 different opera files only nothing else.

Answer: When this option is enabled then all digitally signed files are skipped by default to increase performance. Please note that It can also decrease the level of protection because there is some malware with digital signatures (I have a plan to add configurable list for Digital signature).
More info I need to know as for Analysis I see the 3 boxes are checked do I need On-access checked?

Answer: This option is provided for additional security but it may cause performance issues too because when you open some folder then all executable files in folder will be listed and checed automatically. Currently some users reported that On-access cause issues. You can safely turn it off but keep other Analysis options enabled.
For Criteria: Do those settings stay in place for suspicious files detection ratio set at 5%?

Answer: If file detection ratio is under 5% then it is flagged as safe (e.g. to avoid FP detections). If detection ratio is between 5 and 10% then it is flagged as suspicious. If it is more than 10% then it is flagged as Unsafe (aka Malware). The user is able to customise this setting.
What is gridlines all about ?

Answer: When it is enabled then you can see lines on each section:

Screenshot
As for starting as Admin does that mean starting as Admin account or whatever account the person uses ?

Answer: It means that program is launched with Highest privileges. Please note that some features need Admin rights to work properly and it is also recommended for better malware removal.
Password Protection, so that can be set so nobody can change any settings, other than the person who set password ? (If so, it's not working, no pop-up box to enter a password) Or is there one ?

Answer: Here is a tutorial how to use Password protection feature properly (just tested successfully):

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3
Screenshot 4
I tested the Reset Button: That works well and resets everything back to default under Statistics as in 0. So I just pressed check for updates and everything looks fine except Queued files that shows 1. For the Overview and Whitelist and Black list everything is still there. I.E. Overview =22 White list = 19 and Blacklist = 3

Answer: Normal situation because Reset button only Resets information under Statistics tab.
As for the Snap shot, Is Crystal set to scan every new file, Even Window Update files. ? also on the capture Crystal did not know 2 files files from windows update and they are upload.

Answer: Good point! Yes. Each new file is analyzed but you pointed out good issue. There is no reason to analyze Windows Update files (at least by active protection). In the next version, Windows Update files will be skipped by default to increase performance and avoid server load.

Next version takes a little bit more time because I got a lot of feedback from other users too. Many features to add and some issues to fix. Good amount of users also reported that it works fine but as we know, every system is different. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Attachments

• Password_protection_1.png
    Password_protection_1.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 449
  • Password_protection_2.png
    Password_protection_2.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 434
  • Password_protection_3.png
    Password_protection_3.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 411
  • Password_protection_4.png
    Password_protection_4.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 428
  • Grid_lines.png
    Grid_lines.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
T

TheSuperGeek

Hello Kardo,
Crystal Security is very good but I've got a problem : on my pc, I'm the unique user but I use 2 sessions : Admin+current session (for more security) and at every Crystal's startup, I need to type Admin password. It ise possible to skip UAC (like CCleaner => don't need to check UAC because they made a task on startup that skip UAC.
Thanx

PS : Can I translate Crystal Security in french ? (you can contact me by pm).

D

Deleted member 21043

Hello Kardo,
Crystal Security is very good but I've got a problem : on my pc, I'm the unique user but I use 2 sessions : Admin+current session (for more security) and at every Crystal's startup, I need to type Admin password. It ise possible to skip UAC (like CCleaner => don't need to check UAC because they made a task on startup that skip UAC.
Thanx

Crystal Security does not currently support this feature.

You can do it manually following instructions from the following link: http://www.7tutorials.com/use-task-scheduler-launch-programs-without-uac-prompts

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hi @TheSuperGeek

Thank you for the interest. :)
It ise possible to skip UAC (like CCleaner => don't need to check UAC because they made a task on startup that skip UAC.

I can add Task scheduler event feature. I'll implement it in the next version.

Thanks for the help and support. I'll send a PM when everything is ready for translation stage. Currently there is a plan to improve many things in the next version, fix some issues and add new feature(s) - e.g. Automatic Task Scheduler event for start-up. :)

Regards,
Kardo

T

TheSuperGeek

Hello Kardo,
I found a bug with the lastest version of Crystal Security :
when I close task manager, Windows (7, x64) said that it don't close properly.
I can upload you captures but they're in french.

@kram7750 : thanks for the response.
TheSuperGeek

Reactions: Kardo Kristal
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.