Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Hello!
Which free AV/combo do you prefer/suggest for Windows 8.1 and why?
I want the conversation here to focus on compatibility of the applications each other/with the system, effectiveness, system resources usage and "buginess"of the applications.
For example Avast free with windows firewall, Avast free with privatefirewall, Comodo IS, Comodo firewall with blah blah AV, windows built-in security etc.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Regarding browsers, everything that you do out of the sandbox can be done sandboxed, Which functionality is it that you cant do?

Windows defender and SBIE is all you need.

Bo
I don't want to use Sandboxie to sandbox google chrome. For example, every file downloaded, will be in the sandbox environment and I don't want that.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Its easy to take care of that, all you have to do is apply Direct file access to your download folders, that way, downloads will get though bypassing sandboxing.

DefaultBox>Sandbox settings>Resource access>Direct access, Click "Add", navigate to your download folders and click Apply, OK. After adding your download folders, files will be downloaded like if you were not using Sandboxie.

Anything else?

Bo
Thanks, I 'll keep that in mind. I end up to Avira free and private firewall with UAC & smartscreen.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
You can try this:

Setup 1:

Windows Defender
Windows Firewall
MCShield
K9 Web Protection

Setup 2:

Windows Defender
Private Firewall
MCShield
K9 Web Protection

Setup 3:

Windows Defender
Online Armor
MCShield
K9 Web Protection

Also, with UAC - Max and SmartScreen. With good mouse clicks, you can not be infected.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I don't see the point in running MCShield. As long as you have autorun disabled that will protect from USB infections.
It's not true. MCShield will find hidden malware which AV scanners missed. It's specially built for usb malware protection. Better u read thread about MCShield in this forum, i can't tell u much :)

Reactions: Venustus

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I don't see the point in running MCShield. As long as you have autorun disabled that will protect from USB infections.
The truth is, MCShield protects not only from autorun viruses.

And, I have also disabled autorun of any removable media, and deny execution of programs in any removable device. Together with MCShield, it becomes virtually impossible for me to get infected via any removable media.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
so.. avast free with only file system + webshield + browser addons, or avira free? both of them with windows firewall uac and smartscreen.
I also have full license for Avast Internet security. Do you recommend Avast firewall?
It seems strange to me that Avira was lighter on system..

I also have an AIS license, but only considered it for the Manual Sandbox. I would much rather use Avast Pro, going to contact Avast to see if it's possible to downgrade license.

Back on topic:
A custom install of Avast Free Antivirus with File and Web Shield, no Tools, have you considered Avira Browser Safety (Firefox & Chrome)? In private testing, ABS (beta) proved successful with a small batch of malicious links. You'll also have Google SafeBrowsing to protect against phishing/malware sites.

Reactions: Nikos751

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
@Nikos751 No, that's not the one. Use an Uninstaller to remove the components. Then head over to the link below:
http://malwaretips.com/threads/avira-browser-safety-beta-for-chrome-firefox.18467/

@zeusc4 Did you read post #31? :rolleyes:
Could you explain me further what do you mean? what components to remove and why? From what you say, the only thing I understand is that avira browser safety is something different from what the avira installer currently provides.
Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.