Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Hello!
Which free AV/combo do you prefer/suggest for Windows 8.1 and why?
I want the conversation here to focus on compatibility of the applications each other/with the system, effectiveness, system resources usage and "buginess"of the applications.
For example Avast free with windows firewall, Avast free with privatefirewall, Comodo IS, Comodo firewall with blah blah AV, windows built-in security etc.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Exactly, zeusc4 didn't read your post and continued in the standard Comodo-fashion, and went on to post "CIS".

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I don't see the point in running MCShield. As long as you have autorun disabled that will protect from USB infections.
Autorun is not the only way you can be infected by USB sticks. Exploits and input device emulation are two other ways.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
The truth is, MCShield protects not only from autorun viruses.

And, I have also disabled autorun of any removable media, and deny execution of programs in any removable device. Together with MCShield, it becomes virtually impossible for me to get infected via any removable media.
How did you deny execution of programs in any removable device?

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Finally, I left only the protections of Windows along with MCshield. It is the lightest setup of all.
I also installed Adblock & Webutation in Chrome, and that's all.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
How did you deny execution of programs in any removable device?
The deny execute access for removable drives? If your version of Windows supports group policy editor, you just need to type gpedit.msc into your search bar in the start menu. Then you'll enter the group policy editor. Now follow this path:

Local Computer Policy --> Administrative Templates --> System --> Removable Storage Access --> Enable the "Deny execute access" to the removable storage classes you want.

P.S.: Group policy editor isn't available in the home versions of Windows OSes. There are some registry tweaks to enable it via registry editor though, but I don't remember the exact path.

Reactions: Nikos751

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
The deny execute access for removable drives? If your version of Windows supports group policy editor, you just need to type gpedit.msc into your search bar in the start menu. Then you'll enter the group policy editor. Now follow this path:

Local Computer Policy --> Administrative Templates --> System --> Removable Storage Access --> Enable the "Deny execute access" to the removable storage classes you want.

P.S.: Group policy editor isn't available in the home versions of Windows OSes. There are some registry tweaks to enable it via registry editor though, but I don't remember the exact path.
Thanks!! Yes, its for pro & enterprise versions and none of them are on my laptop :p My desktop has Win 8 Pro so I ll do it there for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.