Serious Discussion Harmony Endpoint by Check Point

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
On par with CrowdStrike, Palo Alto and tools like Joe Sandbox. It’s amazing and extremely effective. Once you get your hands on it you will wonder how you’ve used products without such capabilities.
so tempted to push that Harmony button... but think I'll wait a few more days, perhaps see how ZA/ESNG does in @Shadrowra's test.

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Switched one device more from ZA to Harmony Endpoint Advanced (HEA).
Policy configuration for maximum security (once you finish making all changes, click on "Install Policy"):
1686754923807.png
1686754957604.png
1686755014735.png
1686755044162.png
1686755076332.png
1686755110050.png
1686755138027.png
There is choice of engines as well - Kaspersky or Sophos. I choose Sophos because it's lighter and the updates are smarter with reduced disk activity. Users who need even more security can choose Kaspersky's full local engine. File reputation always uses Kaspersky feeds as well.
DHS-compliant is Sophos. Non-DHS-compliant is K.
1686755314734.png

Before deploying the client, I recommend users who have had ZoneAlarm, to use software such as Revo to perform scan for any leftovers and delete them. @roger_m is very knowledgable of software uninstaller, he may suggest a better one. I type on Revo both Check Point and then ZoneAlarm (2 scans), perform advanced scan and delete everything.
There are 2 ways to deploy. Deployment settings can be configured here:
1686755395736.png

And then from the top bar that says "Download Endpoint" a very light client can be downloaded, which will deploy everything selected on the right hand side.
In addition, changing the deployment rules at any time causes all clients already installed to perform the changes.
E.g. You decide you no longer want Access control which includes firewall and compliance. You untick the component in question and install the policy. In a second, the client receives the changes and asks the user what time it is convenient to schedule the change for. At the specified time, the client removes Access Control.

The second option is to go here (Export Package -> Endpoint Client) and press on the big Plus sign:
1686755521436.png

Select operating system, client version and enter package name so you will be able to identify it:
1686755597257.png

Next, select what you want this package to include:
1686755632082.png

Next, on virtual group, select what applies (desktop/laptop). This is for identification purposes.
1686755686027.png

Next, I recommend leaving all settings as they are for slower download (package will be quite big) but the deployment process will be quicker.
1686755769095.png

This window will automatically close when you press "Finish" and you will be returned to the clients list. Your client will shortly appear there. Click "Download" to start downloading.
1686755851259.png

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
@Trident, is it possible to have different setups for different computer? Like one for mine and another for my daughter?
It is possible to create as many policies as you want and move different devices to different policies. In the next few days we’ll explore reports, logs, changing policies and others.

Last edited:

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
The question is why Checkpoint is using Kaspersky instead of its own in-house native AV engine.

They switched to it for their next-gen AV product.

Can the Harmony Endpoint be used with Windows Defender or do you have to install the AV package?

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
The question is why Checkpoint is using Kaspersky instead of its own in-house native AV engine.

They switched to it for their next-gen AV product.

Can the Harmony Endpoint be used with Windows Defender or do you have to install the AV package?
Check Point uses both their engine and a third-party engine. Their engine is based on static analysis (next-gen AV) and they have full-blown emulations as well. Between the two, a gap (dynamic analysis) remains, which is filled by Kaspersky/Sophos. It’s actually a very smart design. It’s the same with ZoneAlarm but there you don’t have choice of engines, anti-malware is always Sophos.

Harmony can be used with Defender but I am unsure why anyone would want to do that. You just need not to install anti-malware.

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
Check Point uses both their engine and a third-party engine. Their engine is based on static analysis (next-gen AV) and they have full-blown emulations as well. Between the two, a gap (dynamic analysis) remains, which is filled by Kaspersky/Sophos. It’s actually a very smart design. It’s the same with ZoneAlarm but there you don’t have choice of engines, anti-malware is always Sophos.

Harmony can be used with Defender but I am unsure why anyone would want to do that. You just need not to install anti-malware.

Harmony Endpoint Security installation is blocked because Smart App isn't supported. Since that's a Windows application control feature, the reason it must be disabled is because it conflicts with the Harmony Endpoint Security application control feature. You can't have both running at the same time. But Smart App in Windows 11 is in evaluation mode and isn't enabled.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
So there's a possibility that this endpoint software can be infected with ransomeware because it has files rollback feature despite all other fantastic features just like other endpoints.

How about those files not monitored and not protected? How to rollback after a ransomware attack? Such files can be in the tens of thousands throughout the system since a ransomware is crafted to infect as many file extension types as possible

Just for comparison. Deep Instinct don't talk about remediation so I assume there's none. Trellix has a system remediation feature.

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
So there's a possibility that this endpoint software can be infected with ransomeware because it has files rollback feature despite all other fantastic features just like other endpoints.

How about those files not monitored and not protected? How to rollback after a ransomware attack? Such files can be in the tens of thousands throughout the system since a ransomware is crafted to infect as many file extension types as possible

Just for compariaon. Deep Instinct don't talk about remediation so I assume there's none. Trellix has a system remediation feature.
Ransomware Remediation is just one layer. Having it or not having it doesn’t mean anything. Trelix with Dynamic Application Containment and various policies has powerful prevention, but they still use anti-ransomware. Deep Instinct just hasn’t developed it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ransomware Remediation is just one layer. Having it or not having it doesn’t mean anything. Trelix with Dynamic Application Containment and various policies has powerful prevention, but they still use anti-ransomware. Deep Instinct just hasn’t developed it.
My point is that if after a ransomware attack how to deal with unmonitored and unprotected files which are encrypted?

What do you mean by 'Having it (remediation) or not having it doesn’t mean anything'

If an endpoint can confidently says no ransomware can bypass it then I agree that there's no need of remediation since it has so many other fantastic features to detect/block/remove ransomware. But can they?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
My point is that if after a ransomware attack how to deal with unmonitored amd unprotected files which are encrypted?

If an endpoint can confidently says no ransomware can bypass it then there's no need of remediation since it has so many other fantastic features to detect/block/remove ransomware. But can they?
On an Endpoint you can’t assume, produce statements and verdicts or take chances. You need to cover every vector, every corner in every way possible. To boost ransomware detection and protection, since the version 87.00 Check Point also supports Intel TDT (11th and 12th core Intel CPUs) to enhance ransomware behaviour detection. Something Deep Instinct still doesn’t do.

You will deal with unmonitored files by having the appropriate backup and disaster recovery policies in place.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
On an Endpoint you can’t assume, produce statements and verdicts or take chances. You need to cover every vector, every corner in every way possible. To boost ransomware detection and protection, since the version 87.00 Check Point also supports Intel TDT (11th and 12th core Intel CPUs) to enhance ransomware behaviour detection. Something Deep Instinct still doesn’t do.

You will deal with unmonitored files by having the appropriate backup and disaster recovery policies in place.
Yes, you don't take chances against ransomware attack.

As I mentioned endpoints do come with fantastic features to detect/block/remove ransomware, Bascially they have the same or similar features like deep AI/ML/BB/signature/sandbox and what not.

On your last statement. So you agree files rollback is not useful since there are other encrypted files which cannot be rollbacked because they are unmonitored and unprotected, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
As I mentioned endpoints do come with fantastic features to detect/block/remove ransomware, Bascially they have the same or similar features like deep AI/ML/BB/signature and what not.
They do, yes. Not all of them are equal though. If anyone finds this feature not useful, they can disable it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.