Serious Discussion Harmony Endpoint by Check Point

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
They do, yes. Not all of them are equal though. If anyone finds this feature not useful, they can disable it.
Yes, not all features are made equal and that's why there's a protection difference in the different software.

Like to comment on files rollback usefulness or not so usefulness?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Not sure why out of all the features, this one has caught your attention that much.

That's because no security software can 100% protect and prevent against ransomware despite all its other fantastic features.

Yes, rollback is the last line of defense against ransomware so looking at this feature, if available, can save the cost of paying for a dedicated backup and restore software

Some AV/AM software do come with files rollback. No system rollback though.

Now looking at the more expensive endpoints. So far only looked at DI, Trellix and Harmony. Maybe some others will/will not offer such a feature.

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Yes, rollback is the last line of defense against ransomware so looking at this feature, if available, can save the cost of paying for a dedicated backup and restore software
Rollback is available in Check Point Harmony. It saves the files prior to their modification. The bigger the size of the anti-ransomware database selected, the more files will be saved. Businesses can dedicate 5-10GB to the ransomware database or even more.

In addition, ransomware can be prevented across various layers, from malicious websites blocking and email protection, to anti-malware, emulation, behavioural blocking, trap files, Intel TDT and many others.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Rollback is available in Check Point Harmony. It saves the files prior to their modification. The bigger the size of the anti-ransomware database selected, the more files will be saved. Businesses can dedicate 5-10GB to the ransomware database or even more.

In addition, ransomware can be prevented across various layers, from malicious websites blocking and email protection, to anti-malware, emulation, behavioural blocking, trap files, Intel TDT and many others.

I believe its files-only rollback. No system rollback

Trellix provides a more comprehensive backup and rollback. And it has system backup and rollback. It's as good as a 3rd-party one

Note

I hope I'm reading correctly its system backup is the same as the system backup carried out by a 3rd-party backup and restore software ie everything on the C: drive including system and boot partitions

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413 and Kongo

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I believe its files-only rollback. No system rollback

Trellix provides a more comprehensive backup and rollback. And it has system backup and rollback. It's as good as a 3rd-party one

Perhaps off-topic, but Norton is backing up designated files / folders in the background in addition to whatever other backups I'm doing, although I don't know how that works with remediation if needed, I'm recently new to Norton, I have it on a VM. It was recommended by a friend.

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Perhaps off-topic, but Norton is backing up designated files / folders in the background in addition to whatever other backups I'm doing, although I don't know how that works with remediation if needed, I'm recently new to Norton, I have it on a VM. It was recommended by a friend.
For backup with Harmony Endpoint as well as with Trelix anr with any other Endpoint Security/EDR, admins will have to purchase and deploy a backup/disk cloning solution.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For Norton AV/AM it only provides files rollback

All AV/AM for home use don't come with system rollback feature unless I missed one.

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
For Norton AV/AM it only provides files rollback and it has no protection for its backups against ransomware

All AV/AM for home use don't come with system rollback feature unless I missed one.
I am not really sure what you are talking about but the Norton discussion here is off-topic. Norton is not in any way related to Check Point. Also, I am not sure what you mean by system rollback, in my 20 years dealing with security software, this is the first time I am hearing that. Rollback from security software is offered to the point of deleting all infection components and reverting changes in files and settings.

Norton offers protection for its backup, its offline backup will not fall under ransomware encryption due to the unusual format (not media files) and the cloud backup can’t ever be encrypted.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For backup with Harmony Endpoint as well as with Trelix anr with any other Endpoint Security/EDR, admins will have to purchase and deploy a backup/disk cloning solution.
Yup, for Trellix need to separate purchase another module

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I am not really sure what you are talking about but the Norton discussion here is off-topic. Norton is not in any way related to Check Point. Also, I am not sure what you mean by system rollback, in my 20 years dealing with security software, this is the first time I am hearing that. Rollback from security software is offered to the point of deleting all infection components and reverting changes in files and settings.

Norton offers protection for its backup, its offline backup will not fall under ransomware encryption due to the unusual format (not media files) and the cloud backup can’t ever be encrypted.

How? Permission-based or with hidden partition and password?

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
This thread is for Check Point Harmony line of products. For other products and services as well as their internals, please start another thread and members will be happy to discuss.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Files rollback means rolling back encrypted files which are specified to be protected and monitored. Here the data files usually has a backup copy. In the event the original files are compromised the backup will be roll back. However, only some file extensions are covered since, by default, some folders/files are protected with some added folders/files by the user. As explained a ransomware is crafted to encrypt as many types of file extensions as possible. So those unmonitored and unprotected data files will be encrypted with no roll back. It can range from tens to tens of thousands of such files littered throughout the system. Whether some of such files do or not affect the system performance is unknown.

System rollback means rolling back the entire system (C: drive) of files. Here ALL the file extensions are covered. It is a better option than files rollback.

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Harmony covers all files by halting encryption programs until the file is copied in a repository. Once the file (any file in any directory) is copied, the program is allowed to perform modifications. If the behaviour looks like ransomware, files are restored from the repository. This is how all rollback software works. The one with the extensions manages access permissions. In addition, Harmony offers features such as Capsule Docs that can further protect documents from encryptions and exfiltration.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Harmony covers all files by halting encryption programs until the file is copied in a repository. Once the file (any file in any directory) is copied, the program is allowed to perform modifications. If the behaviour looks like ransomware, files are restored from the repository. This is how all rollback software works. The one with the extensions manages access permissions. In addition, Harmony offers features such as Capsule Docs that can further protect documents from encryptions and exfiltration.
I copied the below from one of the spoilers on the 1st page

The Anti-Ransomware creates the honeypot files in these folders:

• C:\Users\Public\Music
  • C:\Users\<User>\Music (MyMusic)
  • C:\Users\Public\Documents
  • C:\Users\<User>\Documents (MyDocuments)
  • C:\Users\Public\Videos
  • C:\Users\<User>\Videos (MyVideos)
  • C:\Users\Public\Pictures
  • C:\Users\<User>\Pictures (MyPictures)
  • C:\Program Files (x86)
  • C:\ProgramData
  • C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming
  • C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local
  • C:\Users\<User>\Downloads
Sure it covers a lot of areas. Hmmm......desktop not covered. And whether ALL file extensions are covered.....that I'm not sure

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
From those locations you can roughly tell what file extensions are protected
As I said in a post above already, all files are protected as long as there is space in the repository. The trap files are not linked to any other protections, as the name of the function suggests, these are files which cause ransomware to slip and reveal its behaviour. Even without touching the trap files, ransomware behaviour can be identified by monitoring api calls, memory operations and others. Trap files represent just one more way.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
As I said in a post above already, all files are protected as long as there is space in the repository. The trap files are not linked to any other protections, as the name of the function suggests, these are files which cause ransomware to slip and reveal its behaviour. Even without touching the trap files, ransomware behaviour can be identified by monitoring api calls, memory operations and others. Trap files represent just one more way.

What I was saying is that those locations are the likely locations that important data files be found and the ransomeware will attack. That's why a honeypot has been set up to trap the ransomware. Of course those files in the honeypot are not the original files.

You (or the software) performs files rollback because the system has been breached otherwise there's no need to do one.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.