Serious Discussion Hasleo Backup Suite 3.0 launches with file backups and other improvements

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Can you explain what you meant by the bold text above? Did you use Hasleo or another tool to create bootable media? Is secure boot enabled on your system? Does your system use MBR?
I don't know where the bold text came from. I didn't bold any of it.

I used Hasleo to download the .iso and create the media.

I've got Aomei in MBR for restores and it works fine. Also Aomei and Macrium emergency disks. No trouble. I'm sure it's me doing something wrong. I assumed Hasleo works the same as Macrium or Aomei for creating emergency disk/drive, and for MBR. I guess there's a step I'm missing.

I Walk MY Way

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 27, 2013

@Chuck57

I had a similar problem when I first started using hasleo.
hasleo did not seem to like my usb drive.
I Solved this by using Rufus 4.3 To burn the ISO Did the usb drive.
I believe that Aomei and hasleo don't play well together I had some error's with hasleo then i uninstalled Aomei And everything has worked well since.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Both the usb drive (sandisk) and Aomei are possibilities. I know some backup programs are offended by finding others on a drive. I'll also give Rufus a try, although I used Hasleo's wintousb software. I'll see what Rufus can do. Hate removing Aomei but this whole thing has turned into a crusade, and nobody is exempt.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I'm using Veeam Agent for Windows on all new PCs with rolling incrementals. Has basically all the necessary features of MR. MR is a solid product, but $$$... and for the most part v5 and v6 still work well. But Veeam Agent for Windows is free! And for the creative types, there is Veeam Community Edition.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Regarding the creation of the boot disk- personally I always use a DVD instead of an USB simply because as the media copied will be product dedicated, and I have a great deal more blank DVD's than I have USB drives, this is easier and more cost effective.

So instead of copying directly to a USB device I chose to create an iso which is then burnt to the DVD. I was surprised at the quickness of this creation which was ~12 seconds. On reboot and DVD start I did get the normal "Hit any key" message followed by the usual minute or so program load time lag (on my system a bit faster than Macrium but a bit slower than Veritas).

After than I did get the initial lovely dark blue screen followed in a few seconds by the Hasleo product intro box followed in a few seconds by application start.

So even though the above is a "n=1" experience, I hope it helps.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Both the usb drive (sandisk) and Aomei are possibilities. I know some backup programs are offended by finding others on a drive. I'll also give Rufus a try, although I used Hasleo's wintousb software. I'll see what Rufus can do. Hate removing Aomei but this whole thing has turned into a crusade, and nobody is exempt.
When creating a bootable USB with Rufus, remember to choose MBR if your system BIOS is MBR.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Regarding the creation of the boot disk- personally I always use a DVD instead of an USB simply because as the media copied will be product dedicated, and I have a great deal more blank DVD's than I have USB drives, this is easier and more cost effective.

So instead of copying directly to a USB device I chose to create an iso which is then burnt to the DVD. I was surprised at the quickness of this creation which was ~12 seconds. On reboot and DVD start I did get the normal "Hit any key" message followed by the usual minute or so program load time lag (on my system a bit faster than Macrium but a bit slower than Veritas).

After than I did get the initial lovely dark blue screen followed in a few seconds by the Hasleo product intro box followed in a few seconds by application start.

So even though the above is a "n=1" experience, I hope it helps.
I tried several different DVDs, on the off chance something was wrong with them. No luck. Ruifus didn't work with the USB, so I switched to a brand new never used pile of DVDs, of which I have many, and they failed too. I'm giving up for the day. This is either a problem with something in this laptop, or something in, or lacking, in, my brain.

Hasleo downloads the WinPE. I then burned it to disk, but still only get a sky blue screen. I let it sit for over 10 minutes while leaving my desk to do something else. It was still there on my return. I'll keep after it, but not today.

Reactions: simmerskool

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Did you choose the default WinPE or opt for "download WinPE" when making the Hasleo emergency disk?
I used the one on the left, whatever that was. I finally got the thing to work. Once I hit the blue screen it took between 12 and 12 1/2 minutes for the boxes to come up. The actual restore, using delta, was less than 3 minutes. I find 12 and a half minutes just a teeny bit long. I'll be doing my next backup next week, and will take another stab at restoring then. Hopefully the time will come down but I won't bet on it.

Also, I don't know what I did different to make it work this time. I wasn't paying attention.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I used the one on the left, whatever that was.
I use the default WinPE. Click next when creating an emergency disk. Hasleo searches for WinPE components on the system. When you "tick" the "Download WinPE" option, Hasleo downloads WinPE components instead of searching for them on the system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Yeah, the rescue DVD is done. We'll see tomorrow if it still takes long minutes for the restore program to come up. Twelve and a half minutes is flat unacceptable. The restore itself, with the delta thing is about three minutes. Total time is still quicker than the other backup programs by five or six minutes.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I bit the bullet a month or two ago and abandoned my beloved Win 8.1 Pro for Win 10 Pro. That's as high as I can go on this antique laptop. Not a clue about UEFI or secure boot. I don't even know where to find secure boot on Win 10 to know if it's enabled, or whether it should be on or off.

*EDIT* Found it. Secure Boot Unsupported. BIOS is Legacy. I think that means no UEFI

Last edited:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Ran a restore with Hasleo today. This time the restore screen appeared in three minutes forty-five seconds. I can live with that. The actual restore, using delta, again just about three minutes. Total time under seven minutes. I shouldn't be complaining about a slow boot to restore screen.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Ran a restore with Hasleo today. This time the restore screen appeared in three minutes forty-five seconds. I can live with that. The actual restore, using delta, again just about three minutes. Total time under seven minutes. I shouldn't be complaining about a slow boot to restore screen.
Hi Chuck! Glad you brought up this issue (and equally glad it was resolved to your satisfaction).

I personally only use Cold Imaging via a DVD, and on my main system I have two DVD burners, an Asus and an older LG. On boot with the DVD installed on the Asus the application will load in about 3.5 minutes, whereas with the LG it takes a tad over 2 minutes. So loading Hasleo is directly proportional to the devive the application is installed on.

Regarding Delta Restore, although it is indeed faster in that it will only restore changed blocks, personally (and for no valid reason) I prefer a full restore. Also the added time is barely an inconvenience as one can select either to reboot or shut down the system on completion, so no reason to wait for anything to finish.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Hi Chuck! Glad you brought up this issue (and equally glad it was resolved to your satisfaction).

I personally only use Cold Imaging via a DVD, and on my main system I have two DVD burners, an Asus and an older LG. On boot with the DVD installed on the Asus the application will load in about 3.5 minutes, whereas with the LG it takes a tad over 2 minutes. So loading Hasleo is directly proportional to the devive the application is installed on.

Regarding Delta Restore, although it is indeed faster in that it will only restore changed blocks, personally (and for no valid reason) I prefer a full restore. Also the added time is barely an inconvenience as one can select either to reboot or shut down the system on completion, so no reason to wait for anything to finish.
Have not tried the full restore yet. I've only played with the delta. I'm sure this 9 year old laptop that's seen so much use the letters are worn off half the keys, is tired. The HDD is still good, with no problems, and I know somewhere inside something is causing the slow boot to restore screen. I'll keep at it. Hasleo is quite an impressive software.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I installed the 22H2 and 23H2 builds on our Win 11 SSD system today. Hasleo performed a full backup (system partition 41/117 GB), which finished in 2 minutes and 2 seconds. Great! I'll post a restore result here once I do it.

@cruelsister, I've found Delta Restore to be impressive and reliable in my experience. It's a fantastic feature; users can try or test software on their actual system and instantly go back to a clean system.

@Chuck57, Is there a delay with Hasleo in WinPE when booting from the boot menu?

zkSnark

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
I'm using Veeam Agent for Windows on all new PCs with rolling incrementals. Has basically all the necessary features of MR. MR is a solid product, but $$$... and for the most part v5 and v6 still work well. But Veeam Agent for Windows is free! And for the creative types, there is Veeam Community Edition.
Have you tried Hasleo? If yes, which one is better between Veeam and Hasleo for Windows 11 PC backup to external disk?

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Have you tried Hasleo? If yes, which one is better between Veeam and Hasleo for Windows 11 PC backup to external disk?
You should try Hasleo. I've tested Veeam for some time, and it's reliable. I'm uncertain if Veeam's bootable media supports backup functionality. Hasleo is also faster in terms of speed and offers Delta Restore. Its features give Hasleo more flexibility. Veeam is robust, offering essential backup functionalities. The Veeam team is slow in providing support for Windows major builds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: zkSnark

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Okay, more of my trials and tribulations (LOL) with Hasleo.

Did a full restore today using my DVD. All went well to the blue screen. Five minutes almost to the second before the restore boxes showed up. I did a full system restore, 39.7G on the old 2014 era HDD. It took seven minutes and twelve seconds to do a flawless restore. I am astounded at the speed.

I'm also totally puzzled at the delay in the Win PE restore media and why it takes so long. i've got Comodo Firewall v8012 and it shows nothing. The only other security I have is Win Defender, which shows no problem as best I can tell, and Hard Configurator (which I probably don't need with Comodo). I'm going to restore HC settings to default and shut it down, then see what happens. Other than that, can't think of anything else to do, other than buy a new computer which isn't in the cards right now given a few medical bills (thank God for insurance), and funeral expenses for my wife, etc, which has just about tapped me out.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.