Question Lightest AV

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

R19933

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 31, 2023
Hello everyone,
i'm currently looking for the lightest AV on the market the only real performance tests i could find are on AV-comparatives, using it for gaming and working from home and want it to be as light as possible :) wonder what your experiences are, currently using Kaspersky, but also got licenses for Norton/BD.
Cheers!

l0rdraiden

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Avast, custom install, only 2 modules behaviour engine and av.
If you want to go 1 step further you can uncheck E and F but you will lose some security, anyway I don't think it will affect to gamming performance.

1693466416730.png

In av comparatives enterprise the corp product of avast is the faster one because it doesn't include all the crap of a full installation, therefore if you only install those 2 modules should be the best option.

R19933

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 31, 2023
Avast, custom install, only 2 modules behaviour engine and av.
If you want to go 1 step further you can uncheck E and F but you will lose some security, anyway I don't think it will affect to gamming performance.

View attachment 278310

In av comparatives enterprise the corp product of avast is the faster one because it doesn't include all the crap of a full installation, therefore if you only install those 2 modules should be the best option.
Hmm, Which Avast version is this, the premium or free tier?
Never tried Avast tbh, just want it to be non intrusive and mostly set & forget with decent protection ofc :)

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
In very, very light AV, you have Avast! ESET and F-Secure.
The problem with Avast is that it can add extra options for a fee, which can slow down your machine.
Opt for AVG, it's like Avast but "lighter".
I found a noticeable 5-8% drop in cpu intensive performance with AVG IS a couple years ago. 3D Mark benchmarks were noticeably lower as was cinebench, which was reflected in games and Handbrake (my main CPU use cases).

R19933

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 31, 2023
In very, very light AV, you have Avast! ESET and F-Secure.
The problem with Avast is that it can add extra options for a fee, which can slow down your machine.
Opt for AVG, it's like Avast but "lighter".
Also have a F secure license somewhere :) what would you recommend Kaspersky or f secure ? Where the main focus is performance.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.