Battle Lightest Security Setup 2015

rodocop

Level 1
Verified
Jun 12, 2015
K-Meleon with AdBlock + K9WebProtection (OpenDNS) + AnVir Task Manager (no suites, no heavy realtimes, no Windows defender, no firewall).

If choose AV - than my choice is Forticlient. (But still K-Meleon, AdBlock and AnVir).

All this under XP or Win7.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
What about Windows Defender and Windows Firewall ;) I have them in one of my Old system. They are doing just fine ( P.S. I do not play with Malwares)
Whoops! Yes I have windows Firewall on mine too...

And Windows defender I have no reason not to remember them!

LOL

Hello everyone, nice to meet you again,
For me The Lightest Security Setup 2015 is Webroot (Webroot Secure Anywhere) AV (WSAV)
ESET version 8.0.304 CPU Resources 100MB
ESET vs Kaspersky (KIS)
wsa_kis15.png

ESET vs WSA
eset_wsa.png

Yes, it has been well known :)

Webroot is different from antiviruses like ESET and Kaspersky.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
H

hjlbx

I am surprise that nobody included smart-object-blocker by NoVirusThanks!
NoVirusThanks Smart Object Blocker - NoVirusThanks

For the most advanced users that know how and wish to control their systems via their own custom rules, SOB is the ultimate.

For the typical user it is much less practical without a user interface. Plus, it is very early beta and does not start with Windows (can create auto-start using Windows Task Scheduler if user so desires). So, probably not the best choice at this very moment - hence why I chose NVT ERP.

Once the developer gets these issues sorted out it will be one of those security solutions I will take a hard look to determine if it will work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Moose and XhenEd
H

hjlbx

too early to consider it a stable software even if it works very well.

lightest = Shadow Defender + Appguard + Windows Firewall Control , noting can get in , nothing can get out without your consent :D

I can verify that this configuration is very secure, light on resources, reliable, highly compatible, and works really well all the way around.

If I want extreme minimalist security that is better than WD + WF alone, then I will use NVT ERP and protect browser with malicious URL blocker.

Anyhow, choose and combine the following in a way that works on your specific system and works for you - one cannot go wrong:

1. AppGuard
2. NoVIrusThanks Exe Radar Pro
3. Shadow Defender
4. Sandboxie* * = can be problematic.
5. Windows Firewall Control

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I can verify that this configuration is very secure, light on resources, reliable, highly compatible, and works really well all the way around.

If I want extreme minimalist security that is better than WD + WF alone, then I will use NVT ERP and protect browser with malicious URL blocker.

Anyhow, choose and combine the following in a way that works on your specific system and works for you - one cannot go wrong:

1. AppGuard
2. NoVIrusThanks Exe Radar Pro
3. Shadow Defender
4. Sandboxie
5. Windows Firewall Control
Don't you think adding an anti-exploit will bolster the defenses? Is adding an anti-exploit really necessary when you have AppGuard or ERP or SOB?

Reactions: Moose
H

hjlbx

Don't you think adding an anti-exploit will bolster the defenses? Is adding an anti-exploit really necessary when you have AppGuard or ERP or SOB?

It is not absolutely necessary, but yes, it will bolster security from what I can tell; exploits will be blocked. But AG or NVT ERP will block the payload. It all comes down to how much the user wishes to add to system and how many security apps they wish to manage.

Anti-exploits serve purpose especially when using Microsoft Office, Adobe Flash, Acrobat, Reader, Windows Media Player, Oracle Java and Java Runtime Environment (uninstall immediately !!), etc. If I had no choice but to use those type apps then, yes, I would use anti-exploit.

However, my approach against exploits is to reduce the attack surface = I do not use widely exploited apps... well, I use Flash since its built-into IE11.

Where security is concerned, for typical use, less is more in my opinion.

There's too much OCD paranoia espoused (promoted) on the security forums...

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Bumped into this thread and it's quite informative and eye-opener for me. Probably suits my requirement for a light resource usage.
@Umbra , want to know what would be the resource usage for Shadow Defender + AppGuard + Window Firewall Control?

Google thru each software you mentioned and its totally different setup from the usual Antivirus or Internet Security Suite.

Also, I heard of Sandboxie. Is it good for me as a heavy browser? I usually surf, torrent, online shop and occasionally install some apps.

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
Comodo firewall settings according cruelsister.I waited on Comodo Cloud Antivirus Sandbox + windows firewall control + UAC + ondaemon scanner Mbam +zemana+ herdProtect

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
H

hjlbx

Bumped into this thread and it's quite informative and eye-opener for me. Probably suits my requirement for a light resource usage.
@Umbra , want to know what would be the resource usage for Shadow Defender + AppGuard + Window Firewall Control?

Google thru each software you mentioned and its totally different setup from the usual Antivirus or Internet Security Suite.

Also, I heard of Sandboxie. Is it good for me as a heavy browser? I usually surf, torrent, online shop and occasionally install some apps.

Shadow Defender + AppGuard + Windows Firewall Control = (25 + 5 + 60) MB = 90 MB RAM. Impact on CPU is 1 to 2 % for very brief periods.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.