Battle Lightest Security Setup 2015

H

hjlbx

Thanks! @hjlbx !!

so these three aren't really considered antivirus/ antimalware right?

No they are not signature-based antivirus.

Shadow Defender virtualizes disk (light virtualization)
AppGuard is a policy-based anti-executable
Windows Firewall Control add outbound notifications graphical user interface to Windows firewall

The above security softs, combined with reasonable computing and web surfing habits, will provide very good base-line security.

They will not protect you against every potential risk, but they provide much better security than antivirus scan engine based solely upon signature detection.

With really safe computing habits, they are essentially overkill. A just-in-case security configuration...

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
My Best: "Free" Security Setup

Real Time: Avira Free
(Custom Install) "No Launcher, no mail or web protect, just 3 processes)
+ Crystal Security (cloud, turn on and off when needed)
AVIRA 15K-25 RAM / CS 3K-12 RAM

On Demand Scanner: Malwarebytes Free
0 RAM (Not real-time)

Addon:
Bluhell Firewall, Disconnect
Firefox

Disconnect
678.7 KB 1.9%
Bluhell Firewall
98.6 KB 0.3% 0.1%

It's so DAMN light it makes Kate Moss jealous! :p

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@CMLew: You need a more time to analyze and check the ruleset in order to work efficiently.

Example is Appguard which you need to create a custom or either lockdown for those executable files. You need to make sure that it doesn't include legitimate programs.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
My light security setup:

Comodo Internet Security (with @hjlbx & @Umbra configuration tweak).

Adding in EEK (portable) + Crystal Security (portable) as on-demand.

Browser extension:
FirefoxPortable (Cyscon Shield + SelfdestructCookie + ublock)

So computer resource usage is based solely from CIS all the time.

H

hjlbx

My light security setup:

Comodo Internet Security (with @hjlbx & @Umbra configuration tweak).

Adding in EEK (portable) + Crystal Security (portable) as on-demand.

Browser extension:
FirefoxPortable (Cyscon Shield + SelfdestructCookie + ublock)

So computer resource usage is based solely from CIS all the time.

For typical use that is very likely more than enough.

@CMLew - be careful with some of things in my CIS configuration -- but, if you have problem, you can always delete rules or change settings. Vast majority of time it fixes problem(s). :D

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
For typical use that is very likely more than enough.

@CMLew - be careful with some of things in my CIS configuration -- but, if you have problem, you can always delete rules or change settings. Vast majority of time it fixes problem(s). :D

Haha! Thanks! @hjlbx
CIS so far treat me nice. I put in an experiment with CIS Paranoid Mode and open a pdf file with PDF Nitro to see how many pop-up.
As a result, 42 pop-ups!

H

hjlbx

Haha! Thanks! @hjlbx
CIS so far treat me nice. I put in an experiment with CIS Paranoid Mode and open a pdf file with PDF Nitro to see how many pop-up.
As a result, 42 pop-ups!

After you tire of Paranoid Mode, use Training Mode to allow CIS to auto-learn and create generic (wildcard * = any character\? = single character) Allow rules.

To get CIS Training Mode to create rules you must use all softs, adjust settings, create\save\modify, etc. That's why I recommend enable Training Mode for weeks and use system - BUT do not malware test and make sure system is clean ! You can run security soft from USB periodically to check while Training Mode enabled.

You should run Training Mode for at least 3 or 4 WIndows update cycles. I turn Training Mode on every time I manually update Windows (I do not use Automatic Updates).

Once you are satisfied Training Mode has created sufficient rules, enable Paranoid Mode. LOOK, MOM... No Pop-Ups !

If you do get HIPS alert - and you know action\app is safe - then simply Block, turn on Training Mode, run app, turn Paranoid Mode back on; you just allowed CIS to create Allow rule = you will never get another HIPS alert for that safe application's action.

Practice with Comodo... you will learn. You will become Jedi Knight too...

th

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
After you tire of Paranoid Mode, use Training Mode to allow CIS to auto-learn and create generic (wildcard * = any character\? = single character) Allow rules.

To get CIS Training Mode to create rules you must use all softs, adjust settings, create\save\modify, etc. That's why I recommend enable Training Mode for weeks and use system - BUT do not malware test and make sure system is clean ! You can run security soft from USB periodically to check while Training Mode enabled.

I go through again your configuration again and notice that you uncheck for "Create rules for safe applications". Does this affect when turn from paranoid mode to training mode? I'm asking as I'm under the impression that regardless of whatever mode you choose, CIS would not create rules for it once you click allow. Am I right?

H

hjlbx

Create Rules for Safe Applications = CIS assigns HIPS Allowed Application Rule Set to application.

Training Mode = CIS auto-learns application behaviors and creates more restrictive application rules via use of wild cards.

Training Mode will modify pre-existing rules you have created. I am not sure, but I think it will add to them - or - it may over-write them.

Just allow Comodo to create rule for safe application, untick that setting, and then enable Training Mode. See what happens. You can always delete rules and start all over again...

NOTE: Recommended not to delete Comodo's built-in HIPS rules for Windows System Applications, Allowed Applications, Trusted Installers, etc. So it is best to pay careful attention to what HIPS rules you are deleting.

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
To put Avira, Avast, AVG, Qihoo, McAfee -Realtime as a single choice... i find this very misleading. If someone did actually tested impact on system performance of all this suites, one could/would conclude that Avira is a THE best 'performer', and McAfee is among the worst.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
up to windows 8.1: eset antivirus with windows firewall (eset smart security's firewall can sometime take some time to tweak for my liking)with custom rules for policy based hips (cant ask for a more secure lock down on the system), though beware you will need to set new rules when you want to install anything new etc.
for windows 10: smart screen + windows defender + uac + windows firewall

also toss in abp as the only extension really needed in your browser or the equivalent for internet explorer if you use that and you are ready to go.

cant go any lighter than the above.
you could also use for windows 8 and 8.1: smart screen + windows defender + uac + windows firewall.

please bear in mind i speak from a heavy gamer point of view, where several games are launched at the same time, so a light and yet up to a certain extend secure configuration is needed.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
light is light but also dont forgot about keep security on high level so...

So i prefer it
-Shadow Defender: Becasue no one antivirus keep all database virus whole wrold
-SpyShelterFirewall: Beter prevent than cure... antiloger with hips features and firewall module does job
aswell dont forgot about addional features like keystorencryption and some write restioction "sandbox"
-Zemana AntiMalware: Dont be arogant some time rly nice scan system so i prefer use ZemanaAM, cuz nice to use few database engines scan not only one :D

Addional you can use Malwarebytes Aniimalware for scan and improve security by Malwarebyes anti exploit
HOST MVPS for improve newtwork security by blacklist sites.

Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.