TheSuperGeek's Security Configuration

Windows Edition
Home
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Panda Free + Privatefirewall + Malwarebytes Anti-exploits + USB Control (and in windows VMs : Crystal security alone)
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
VT Uploader, Malwarebytes
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
ublock origin, https everywere, WOT, Disconnect
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, AxCrypt, Sysinternals suite and nirsoft package

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Looks like a great config :) I suggest Qihoo 360 TSE as main AV :) Should work fine on your PC even with Security Mode activated (additional BD + Avira Engines).
If your Tablet supports Windows (it seems so, EEK installed), try out Qihoo 360 TSE there too.
I love the Qihoo 360 software for it's overall speed, not bringing down computer performance (noticeable), but having blazing fast scan speed even for Malware Packs. Also detection is very good. And it's free :) Supports Win 10 also.

T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
Looks like a great config :) I suggest Qihoo 360 TSE as main AV :) Should work fine on your PC even with Security Mode activated (additional BD + Avira Engines).
If your Tablet supports Windows (it seems so, EEK installed), try out Qihoo 360 TSE there too.
I love the Qihoo 360 software for it's overall speed, not bringing down computer performance (noticeable), but having blazing fast scan speed even for Malware Packs. Also detection is very good. And it's free :) Supports Win 10 also.
But is Qihoo 360 ok with privacy ?I don't want to see my personal infos sell.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
But is Qihoo 360 ok with privacy ?I don't want to see my personal infos sell.
Sorry, cannot tell you that (no evidences here, only some unfavourable reports easily found on Google, which I would take with a grain of salt - China, paid AV... - see something else happening to Kaspersky, Russian company - accused to have harmed competitors with false VirusTotal samples), I fully trust them :) I guess it's like every Antivirus / OS company, they all have their connections to Intel(ligence), so does Microsoft (Patriot Act / Freedom Act). Also Google / Facebook etc. might sell your data, that's why I always use an AdBlocker as well as Incognito Mode in Chrome activated by startup. Of course, no one likes to have his data shared.
To my experience, Qihoo 360 TSE asks to upload unknown files (there's a option in the settings, which you can enable and disable), also you're free to not take part with their User experience programme (which might collect data, seems to be anonymous according to their webpage here - 360 Total Security | Download Free Antivirus for PC)

EDIT: Here's the link to the Kaspersky story, floating around somewhere on this forum too, as well as Kaspersky's statement. As nobody here might be able to tell which side really tells the right story, please also take it with a grain of salt. I think AV business is a very dirty place.

Exclusive: Russian antivirus firm faked malware to harm rivals - Ex-employees

Last edited:

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I'm Curious to know how PANDA USB Vaccine works? Can It protect your USB flash drive when its inserted to other computers?

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I'm Curious to know how PANDA USB Vaccine works? Can It protect your USB flash drive when its inserted to other computers?

Yes, it disables AutoRun of your USB drive. "Vaccine for USB devices: This is a ‘vaccine' for removable USB devices, preventing the AutoRun file from becoming a source of infection. The tool disables this file so it cannot be read, modified or replaced by malicious code."

ANTIMALWARE: Panda USB Vaccine - Download FREE - PANDA SECURITY

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Can you elaborate? After vaccination of our USB Drive, If we insert it to a infected computer, will I be infected, yes or no?

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Can you elaborate? After vaccination of our USB Drive, If we insert it to a infected computer, will I be infected, yes or no?
AutoRun prevents the USB from infecting other devices if some Malware is on it, but probably not from getting infected. You should activate write protection for the USB device (via Windows / Linux options) or with a switch on the device. So nothing new can be brought onto the device (read only) unless write protection is deactivated.

Win 10 solution (cannot find an option to set it when opening properties of the device via context menu):
Disk Write Protection - Enable or Disable in Windows
Elevated Command Prompt - Open in Windows 10
Removable Hard Disk Drives - Allow or Deny Read and Write Access
(Don't know if the registry entrys from link 3 are really needed).

Reactions: Purshu_Pro

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
You should activate write protection for the USB device (via Windows / Linux options) or with a switch on the device. So nothing new can be brought onto the device (read only) unless write protection is deactivated.
Will the write protection be only for my PC or will it be in affect to other PC's also?

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Will the write protection be only for my PC or will it be in affect to other PC's also?
The write protection is issued for the USB device, therefore, it will affect every PC you plug it in into unless the write protection is removed (usually only on the PC which set it, NOTE: is is resistant to formatting!)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Purshu_Pro :I tried the Panda USB Vaccine before and seems effective to prevent any autorun to attack on a USB. A file from Panda is present to be place on the USB as a sign of being immune.

However the write protection may not guaranteed which might alter those programs to be malicious which better stay off than risk it. ;)

You may manual remove the threats by insert it on a Linux environment for safe keeping. ;)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@TheSuperGeek if you want a free AV and you are worried about your privacy i can suggest Avira Free, it has very good signatures
but lucks a zero day component.Still though offers very good protection and it's light.On idle it uses about 25-40 MB RAM.
Avira and Emsisoft are the best companies in terms of privacy but Emsisoft is paid.
I hope i have helped:).

T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
@TheSuperGeek if you want a free AV and you are worried about your privacy i can suggest Avira Free, it has very good signatures
but lucks a zero day component.Still though offers very good protection and it's light.On idle it uses about 25-40 MB RAM.
Avira and Emsisoft are the best companies in terms of privacy but Emsisoft is paid.
I hope i have helped:).
But avira make now big ads when you logon. I'm now using Qihoo 360 TS + Glasswire

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@TheSuperGeek : Well thanks for your input, however I have just put a little logic on a way which in order to clean manually then conduct on a isolated system which an executable should not run from Windows hence defeats the headache problem. ;)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

A VM is highly recommended for you

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.