AppMarket Toolbar is a browser hijacker, which is promoted via other free downloads, and once installed it will add the AppMarket Community Toolbar, change your browser homepage to search.conduit.com, and set your default search engine to AppMarket Customized Web Search.
The AppMarket Customized Web Search will display advertisements and sponsored links in your search results, and may collect search terms from your search queries. The AppMarket Toolbar infection is used to boost advertising revenue, as in the use of blackhat SEO, to inflate a site’s page ranking in search results.
The AppMarket Toolbar it’s technically not a virus, but it does exhibit plenty of malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, and in general just interfering with the user experience. The industry generally refers to it as a “PUP,” or potentially unwanted program.
AppMarket Toolbar got on your computer after you have installed a freeware software (video recording/streaming, download-managers or PDF creators) that had bundled into their installation this browser hijacker. This browser hijacker is also bundled within the custom installer on many download sites (examples: CNET, Brothersoft or Softonic), so if you have downloaded a software from these websites, chances are that AppMarket Toolbar was installed during the software setup process.
Very often users have no idea where did it come from, so it’s not surprising at all that most of them assume that the AppMarket Toolbar is a virus.
For example, when you install YT Downloader HD, you will also agree to change your browser homepage to search.conduit.com, set your default search engine to AppMarket Customized Web Search, and install the AppMarket Toolbar.
However when you uninstall YT Downloader HD from your computer, your web browser’s default settings will not be restored. This means that you’ll have to remove AppMarket Toolbar and search.conduit.com from your favorite web browser manually.
You should always pay attention when installing software because often, a software installer includes optional installs, such as this AppMarket Toolbar. Be very careful what you agree to install.
Always opt for the custom installation and deselect anything that is not familiar, especially optional software that you never wanted to download and install in the first place. It goes without saying that you should not install software that you don’t trust.
How to remove AppMarket Toolbar (Virus Removal Guide)
This page is a comprehensive guide, which will remove AppMarket Toolbar from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome.
Please perform all the steps in the correct order. If you have any questions or doubt at any point, STOP and ask for our assistance.
STEP 1: Uninstall AppMarket Toolbar programs from your computer
STEP 2: Remove AppMarket Toolbar from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome
STEP 3: Remove AppMarket Toolbar browser hijacker with AdwCleaner
STEP 4: Remove AppMarket Toolbar virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
STEP 5: Double-check for the AppMarket Toolbar infection with HitmanPro
STEP 1 : Uninstall AppMarket Toolbar program from your computer
In this first step, we will try to identify and remove any malicious program that might be installed on your computer.
- To uninstall AppMarket Toolbar from your computer, click the Start button, then select Control Panel, and click on Uninstall a program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for “control panel“. Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control Panel from there, then select Uninstall a program.
- When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and uninstall Search Protect by conduit, AppMarket Toolbar for IE, ValueApps and any other recently installed or unknown programs from your computer.
If you are having issues while trying to uninstall the AppMarket Toolbar, you can use Revo Uninstaller to completely remove this unwanted program from your machine.
Depending on what program has installed the AppMarket Community Toolbar, the above program may have a different name or not be installed on your computer. If you cannot find any unwanted or unknown programs on your machine, then you can proceed with the next step.
STEP 2 : Remove AppMarket Toolbar from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome
Remove AppMarket Toolbar from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the gear icon (Tools for Windows XP users) at the top (far right), then click again on Internet Options.
- In the Internet Options dialog box, click on the Advanced tab, then click on the Reset button.
- In the Reset Internet Explorer settings section, check the Delete personal settings box, then click on Reset.
- When Internet Explorer finishes resetting, click Close in the confirmation dialogue box and then click OK.
- Close and open Internet Explorer.
Remove AppMarket Toolbar from Mozilla Firefox
- Remove AppMarket Toolbar extensions from Firefox.
At the top of the Firefox window, click the orange Firefox button, then select Add-ons.
Select the Extensions tab, then remove AppMarket, ValueApps and any other unknown extensions from Mozilla Firefox.
- Reset your default search engine and homepage from AppMarket Customized Web Search to their default.
To reset your search engine and homepage to their default, we will use the SearchReset extension.This add-on is very simple: on installation, it backs up and then resets your search preferences and home page to their default values, and then uninstalls itself. This affects the search bar, URL bar searches, and the home page.
You can download SearchReset from the below link, and then we will just need to install it to revert Firefox to its default settings.
SEARCHRESET DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open another web page from where you can download the SearchReset Firefox extension)
Remove AppMarket Toolbar from Google Chrome
- Remove AppMarket Toolbar extensions from Google Chrome.
Click the Chrome menu button on the browser toolbar, select Tools and then click on Extensions.
In the Extensions tab, remove AppMarket, ValueApps and any other unknown extensions by clicking the trash can icon.
Basically, if you have not installed an extension, you should remove it from your web browser.
- Set Google Chrome default search engine from AppMarket Customized Web Search to Google.
Click the Chrome menu button, then select Settings and click on Manage search engines in the Search section.
In the Search Engines dialog that appears, select Google and click the Make Default button that appears in the row.
Search for Conduit in the Search Engines list, and click the X button that appears at the end of the row.
- Change Google Chrome homepage from search.conduit.com to its default.
Conduit has modified your Google settings to open their webpage whenever you start your browser, so we will need to revert this change.
Click the Chrome menu button, then select Settings and click on One the New Tab page in the On Startup section.
STEP 3: Remove AppMarket Toolbar and AppMarket Customized Web Search with AdwCleaner
- You can download AdwCleaner utility from the below link.
ADWCLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download AdwCleaner on your computer)
- Before starting AdwCleaner, close all open programs and internet browsers, then double-click on the AdwCleaner icon.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run AdwCleaner, please allow it to run.
- When the AdwCleaner program will open, click on the Scan button as shown below.
AdwCleaner will now start to search for AppMarket Toolbar malicious files that may be installed on your computer.
- To remove the AppMarket Toolbar malicious files that were detected in the previous step, please click on the Clean button.
AdwCleaner will now prompt you to save any open files or data as the program will need to reboot the computer. Please do so and then click on the OK button.
STEP 4: Remove AppMarket Toolbar virus from with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
- You can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free from the below link, then double-click on the icon named mbam-setup.exe to install this program.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK(This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free)
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the setup process, then at the last screen click on the Finish button.
- On the Scanner tab, select Perform quick scan, and then click on the Scan button to start searching for the AppMarket Toolbar malicious files.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for AppMarket Toolbar as shown below.
- When the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan has finished, click on the Show Results button.
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the computer infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has detected. Make sure that everything is Checked (ticked), then click on the Remove Selected button.
STEP 5: Double-check for the AppMarket Toolbar infection with HitmanPro
- You can download HitmanPro from the below link:
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a web page from where you can download HitmanPro)
- Double-click on the file named HitmanPro.exe (for 32-bit versions of Windows) or HitmanPro_x64.exe (for 64-bit versions of Windows). When the program starts you will be presented with the start screen as shown below.
Click on the Next button, to install HitmanPro on your computer.
- HitmanPro will now begin to scan your computer for AppMarket Toolbar malicious files.
- When it has finished it will display a list of all the malware that the program found as shown in the image below. Click on the Next button, to remove AppMarket Toolbar adware.
- Click on the Activate free license button to begin the free 30 days trial, and remove all the malicious files from your computer.
Your computer should now be free of the AppMarket Toolbar infection. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future, and perform regular computer scans with HitmanPro.
If you are still experiencing problems while trying to remove AppMarket Toolbar from your machine, please start a new thread in our Malware Removal Assistance forum.