Advice Request µBlock Origin blocks "https://ipm-provider.ff.avast.com/"

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
On Edge and also on Chrome, µBlock Origin blocks "https://ipm-provider.ff.avast.com/", according to " ||ipm-provider.ff.avast.com^ " in "Dan Pollock’s hosts file".
Is it a false positive or not ? :unsure:
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Oups!
You are right @EndangeredPootis !
How can a single person gives - 34 ???
I believe if you create an account it provides a much higher score, if you dont have a account its simply +1 or -1, or it may be due to how old your account is.

Edit;

Gain reputation

The VirusTotal Community uses a reputation score to gauge the usefulness and accuracy of user-generated comments and votes. Whenever a user votes one of your file or URL comments as useful, you receive 10 reputation points. On the other hand, if one of your comments is voted as not useful, you lose 10 reputation points. The single way to improve your reputation score is to make interesting and helpful file and URL comments.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
How... how do you survive the internet with that small filter?
Medium mode & do cosmetic filtering yourself to sites you visit to, might take a bit of time but you can make backup every time you add some cosmetic filtering to keep your own list up to date

Probably under 20 domains i visit regularly, its easy to set- up but i just use as many block lists as you most of time, could challenge myself to lesser list probably

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Medium mode & do cosmetic filtering yourself to sites you visit to, might take a bit of time but you can make backup every time you add some cosmetic filtering to keep your own list up to date

Probably under 20 domains i visit regularly, its easy to set- up but i just use as many block lists as you most of time, could challenge myself to lesser list probably
I tried using uBO in medium mode but it breaks a lot of websites. I know how to fix them and everything, but it's just too much work for me. Instead I'm using medium mode on just a few pages that are riddled with ads, trackers and pop-up. For all other websites, I'm relying on filters mentioned above.

To use uBO in medium mode, I'd need a list of CDN domains which I could whitelist so it doesn't break a lot of websites.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
How... how do you survive the internet with that small filter?

I'm only using these filters:

View attachment 242502
View attachment 242503

IMO your list is pretty excessive and redundant, you dont need AdGuard Base + EasyList (choose one), no need to have "I dont care about cookies", Anti-Facebook, AdGuard Annoyances, AdGuard Social Media when you have Fanboy's Annoyance.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
you dont need AdGuard Base + EasyList (choose one
Actually this is accurate more than 95% of the time but not always. uBlock Origin can't parse all the rules from Adguard filters including Adguard Base, Adguard Tracking Protection, AdGuard Annoyances, AdGuard Social Media. I've seen this combo missing ads, empty place holders quite a few times. Some rules only works with Adgaurd extension. I've seen the reverse thing also, Adguard extension failing to parse a rule from EasyList related filters but less frequent than the previous combo. Only using Adguard related filters on uBlock Origin is not the best idea. If using only one then I would suggest to use EasyList related filters on uBlock Origin instead of Adguard. It works much better this way. Using both doesn't cause any harm also but if using less filters is a priority then uBO with EasyList and Adguard with Adguard is the way to go.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@SeriousHoax I use 38 cosmetic filters for websites I visit a lot (mostly cookies prompts and first party teasers ads for premium/paid services).

When I am surfing the web, I am not seeing ads (at least that is what I think/experience). Using uBO companion I found another 140 domains on top of Kees1958 top 500 which appeared as third-party domains when surfing (when uBo companion administrates third-party calls it does not always mean that they are tracking you). I usually add scripts, subdomains, xmlhttprequest that is why uBo counts more rules.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.