Serious Discussion “Strongest” security solution.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Norton - Avast, are very powerfull , even with detections higher than Kaspersky in some cases.

Maybe or especially in offline mode, at least according to AV-Comparatives.

2023-10-18_11-02-48.jpg

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Norton offers the best bloatware money can buy, umm, I meant the protection.
Ideally your cloud storage, password manager and VPN (ie. privacy and data) should be independent of these services. Cyber-security companies only offer these for the sake of convenience. Most of these are from buyouts and rebranded, then they slap an additional $30 on your license renewal.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Ideally your cloud storage, password manager and VPN (ie. privacy and data) should be independent of these services. Cyber-security companies only offer these for the sake of convenience. Most of these are from buyouts and rebranded, then they slap an additional $30 on your license renewal.
Which both Bitdefender and Kaspersky use HotSpot shield servers. At least I liked that Kaspersky asked on install (Plus 21.15) if I wanted to install the VPN or PM and I could opt out. At the time I bought Plus, I wanted them both, but since then have moved on to other independent VPN and PM options.

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
Why ? Thats your opinion again ! . For other people its good to have everything in one place. I had all seperated before but i can buy a Norton 10 devices premium license for 17 euro, which includes VPN , Password manager etc, so why be a thief of my own wallet to buy everything else from other suppliers ? Please go ahead and do as your liking, but do no push your ideal world to others.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
For gaming I'd actually pick Deep Instinct if you have the chance. As it's super light on the system. It's also very stable without any bugs as far as I am aware. But know that you probably will have to add exclusions and tweak the settings a little, if you don't want to face false alarms.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
For other people its good to have everything in one place.
I guess you have never had an account stolen or deactivated. Something as simple as google login made me lose access to some accounts and it takes so little these days (a "bad" comment).

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Why ? Thats your opinion again ! . For other people its good to have everything in one place. I had all seperated before but i can buy a Norton 10 devices premium license for 17 euro, which includes VPN , Password manager etc, so why be a thief of my own wallet to buy everything else from other suppliers ? Please go ahead and do as your liking, but do no push your ideal world to others.
And I agree with you there, in my purchase of Plus for the PM and VPN. IMO, Kaspersky PM is one of the best-bundled PM out there, probably along with Norton, as their version has been around for years and from when I used Norton really liked it as well. In my case, in using both F-Secure and Kaspersky, I needed a netural VPN and PM that would sync between all those devices. But you know what you like and want, more power to you Jengo, as that is very convenient to have it all under one roof. Support being from the same place as well :)

Victor M

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
I read that BitDefender Total has memory scanning, and that it did well in AV Comparatives ATP test last year. So I hoped against all hope that it could stop an exploit injected meterpreter shell or similar memory resident shell. But nope, my red team just laughed at it and explored my system, left obvious tell tale signs, until I pulled the plug. Summary: Bitdefender Total is totally useless against hackers. Wasted $40 and an afternoon.

Last edited:

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
I guess you have never had an account stolen or deactivated. Something as simple as google login made me lose access to some accounts and it takes so little these days (a "bad" comment).
If you have good passwords, over 32 characters long, 2FA and SMS verification which i always use, no worries.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This applies to all cyber-security companies, as mentioned by @Jonny Quest both Bitdefender and Kaspersky use HSS, and iirc Avast uses HMA.

Yes, that is my opinion based on my experience and how some may prefer a separate layered approach, rather than a monopoly. You do you though.

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
I read that BitDefender Total has memory scanning, and that it did well in AV Comparatives ATP test last year. So I hoped against all hope that it could stop an exploit injected meterpreter shell or similar memory resident shell. But nope, my red team just laughed at it and explored my system until I pulled the plug. Summary: Bitdefender Total is totally useless against hackers. Wasted $40 and an afternoon.
Bitdefender... the company with a lot of promises and no action. I still have 2 tickets open since 2 years, they keep sending me update mails once in a while and always give me additional 6 months subscription for the trouble. I told them many times i do not use their products anymore. Sigh.....

likeastar20

Level 8
Verified
Mar 24, 2016
I read that BitDefender Total has memory scanning, and that it did well in AV Comparatives ATP test last year. So I hoped against all hope that it could stop an exploit injected meterpreter shell or similar memory resident shell. But nope, my red team just laughed at it and explored my system, left obvious tell tale signs, until I pulled the plug. Summary: Bitdefender Total is totally useless against hackers. Wasted $40 and an afternoon.
And what do you use now ?

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
For gaming I'd actually pick Deep Instinct if you have the chance. As it's super light on the system. It's also very stable without any bugs as far as I am aware. But know that you probably will have to add exclusions and tweak the settings a little, if you don't want to face false alarms.
Deep Instinct is one of the solutions I was looking at. Although I could never fully test it, I know for a fact is a really strong solution, although it’s a bit aggressive.

For me it’s between CheckPoint Harmony, and DI. I’d like to learn a bit more about each solution and their capabilities, but I know that whichever solution I choose will protect my new PC extremely well.

Also, is DI good against Java Malware?

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Deep Instinct is one of the solutions I was looking at. Although I could never fully test it, I know for a fact is a really strong solution, although it’s a bit aggressive.

For me it’s between CheckPoint Harmony, and DI. I’d like to learn a bit more about each solution and their capabilities, but I know that whichever solution I choose will protect my new PC extremely well.

Also, is DI good against Java Malware?

Yep

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Ok, I will. What about CheckPoint? How good is it at dealing with Java Malware?
(Reason I’m asking is I play a lot of modded Minecraft, which all the mods are Java, and you can’t really put them in sandboxes or anything cause of the way they work).
Screenshot 2023-10-23 170319.png

You can basically configure it in a way to block any scripts. Malicious and non-malicious.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.