Serious Discussion “Strongest” security solution.

Victor M

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
(Reason I’m asking is I play a lot of modded Minecraft, which all the mods are Java, and you can’t really put them in sandboxes or anything cause of the way they work).
Install a Java runtime in Ubuntu and install closed sourced drivers from Nvidia or AMD and you should be able to run Minecraft. The reason for this solution is because malware needs an environment to work, and Linux is not the malware's expected environment. And there are lots of free guides on how to harden Linux, so harden your system. Go for defense in depth, specify an AppArmor profile for Minecraft - for example it can restrict what code libraries and directories your Minecraft can touch, its kind of like a straitjacket approach. Try it, you will have fun doing Linux security. And Ubuntu is lighter than Windows, it will run very smoothly on your new machine. If you are new to Linux, know that Linux has adopted Windows' UI standards, it's windowing system behaves like Windows, ctrl-C still copies and ctrl-V still pastes, right click gives you the familiar choices and so on.

In fact, you won't be a pioneer because it is supported and it's been done. Here's the guide: How to Install Minecraft on Linux ? - GeeksforGeeks

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is always fun. Answers range from the sensible keep it simple to prepare for cyber war disaster with EDR and SIEM and the obligatory "you have to educate yourself" (which in itself is a valuable advice but of zero use for someone asking for help) :ROFLMAO:
Post 39 by OP provides additional information that can improve recommendations.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Why ? Thats your opinion again ! . For other people its good to have everything in one place. I had all seperated before but i can buy a Norton 10 devices premium license for 17 euro, which includes VPN , Password manager etc, so why be a thief of my own wallet to buy everything else from other suppliers ? Please go ahead and do as your liking, but do no push your ideal world to others.
This is a forum where users share information, opinions are a part of that just as you shared yours here.

He has a valid point, because companies in haste of making a buck can and sometimes do incorporate applications with less than stellar reputations into their products to try and entice users to buy subscriptions. It's your prerogative whether to use those or not, but knowledge of them is paramount to making better decisions.

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
Foul Language
This is a forum where users share information, opinions are a part of that just as you shared yours here.

He has a valid point, because companies in haste of making a buck can and sometimes do incorporate applications with less than stellar reputations into their products to try and entice users to buy subscriptions. It's your prerogative whether to use those or not, but knowledge of them is paramount to making better decisions.
It's good to have an opinion but don't force it to people. You never see me force anything because I don't give a **** what people want to use. All up to them.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

It's good to have an opinion but don't force it to people. You never see me force anything because I don't give a **** what people want to use. All up to them.
Just because you have an understanding of something in a thread does not mean the rest of the participants do hence leaving a post explaining that others can learn by, if you do not care, than this should not bother you.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Install a Java runtime in Ubuntu and install closed sourced drivers from Nvidia or AMD and you should be able to run Minecraft. The reason for this solution is because malware needs an environment to work, and Linux is not the malware's expected environment. And there are lots of free guides on how to harden Linux, so harden your system. Go for defense in depth, specify an AppArmor profile for Minecraft - for example it can restrict what code libraries and directories your Minecraft can touch, its kind of like a straitjacket approach. Try it, you will have fun doing Linux security. And Ubuntu is lighter than Windows, it will run very smoothly on your new machine. If you are new to Linux, know that Linux has adopted Windows' UI standards, it's windowing system behaves like Windows, ctrl-C still copies and ctrl-V still pastes, right click gives you the familiar choices and so on.

In fact, you won't be a pioneer because it is supported and it's been done. Here's the guide: How to Install Minecraft on Linux ? - GeeksforGeeks
Hmm. This is interesting. I’ll give it a try whenever I get the chance :D

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Hello everyone. I plan on getting an extremely powerful PC for gaming and other things, and I want to protect it using the strongest suite out there. Performance of the AV shouldn’t be a issue as the PC is going to be top of the line in terms of specs.

Some ones I’m looking at are: Checkpoint Harmony, Deep Instinct, Kaspersky Default Deny, but I want truely the best.

I’m looking at the strongest in terms of raw detections of malware, PUA, exploits, and phishing detections, although phishing can be protected against via Malwarebytes browser guard and Bitdefender TrafficLight.

If you have any suggestions, let me know!
AV-C just published test of EDR including Checkpoint which did very well.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

I read that BitDefender Total has memory scanning, and that it did well in AV Comparatives ATP test last year. So I hoped against all hope that it could stop an exploit injected meterpreter shell or similar memory resident shell. But nope, my red team just laughed at it and explored my system, left obvious tell tale signs, until I pulled the plug. Summary: Bitdefender Total is totally useless against hackers. Wasted $40 and an afternoon.
That's like being disappointed a bullet proof vest wouldn't stop an armor piercing round.

NewbyUser

Level 2
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2021
The extra programs they offer are basically pretty good. And if you are not intersted you can disable the promotion messages.
Sorry but in my view any security company such as Norton, that actually designed their security software to engage in cryptomining, just can't be taken seriously anymore.

• HaHa
Reactions: Jengo

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Cloud based. Why not have local containment plus TE cloud;) If something isn't detected by TE cloud at least it's in local sandbox. Layers to security. Plus Xcitium also submits to their own cloud sandbox.
Isn’t Xcitium’s sandbox and malware detection capabilities not very good? Also, Xcitium is a full Security Solution. Could you disable any on system features that could cause conflicts?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.