Serious Discussion “Strongest” security solution.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
In terms of Strongest Security Solution.

[Oversimplified]

Is to start with how you connect to the Internet? (Ethernet / WiFi)

Then what Router to use? (My Recommendation would be a Firewall Appliance.)

Even so how is your Network Segmented or is it even? (Attack Surface Reduction, Control and Visibility)

After all that then we can start looking to are other Devices on the same Network? (IoT, SmartTV and such...)

Why these questions?
- Without that an attacker could still be persistent inside the Network over another device for example.
- Security Suite is just another Software that does things....
- Security should Start with the User and an IT-Security-Solution tailor made for the specific situation with all the OSI Layers in mind.
- There is no 100% Security.
- With huge budget you can have Enterprise grade security without lifting a finger if installed properly. ----> The Security focused solutions and highend use MDR Services (There is an IT-Security SOC Team 24/7 Monitoring your Systems) some even offer monitoring from the Gateway (Firewall) / Network and Endpoints (Clients and Server)
- Like always it is all about Money $$$$

Sincerely
Val.
For my needs, I'm looking for a strong PC security solution to protect my new computer from any malware or damage to it caused by software.
Currently I am rocking a Kaspersky Premium Default Deny Setup. I plan to switch to possibly another solution like Deep Instinct, Cortex, or CheckPoint Harmony in April 2024 when my Kaspersky subscription ends.
I know there is not 100% security, but the goal is to get as close to it as possible. I'm a home user, not a business worker or anyone who should experience targeted attacks or sophisticated APTs that anti-viruses/security companies dont know about.

Reactions: Nevi and valvaris

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
For my needs, I'm looking for a strong PC security solution to protect my new computer from any malware or damage to it caused by software.
Currently I am rocking a Kaspersky Premium Default Deny Setup. I plan to switch to possibly another solution like Deep Instinct, Cortex, or CheckPoint Harmony in April 2024 when my Kaspersky subscription ends.
I know there is not 100% security, but the goal is to get as close to it as possible. I'm a home user, not a business worker or anyone who should experience targeted attacks or sophisticated APTs that anti-viruses/security companies dont know about.
In good conscious I could never recommend Costumer grade AVs. (Some come with nag-screens others with so much bloat that slows down everything and looks like an AD-Show)

I had a combo once but wanted to go to a single robust solution that is manageable.

Combo was:
F-Secure (Only Malware-Scanner), Glasswire and Windows Software Restriction Policy (NOT AppLocker [Nighmare to Setup])

Now I use:
Sophos Intercept X Advanced with XDR (Live-Response and Datalake) <- No need if you do not want to mingle around with Querys in XDR -> The Sophos Intercept X Advanced is good enough.
Setup the following Policys:
- Threat Protection for Exclusions (Some Hollow Process Alerts from Apps that have odd Steam integration)
- SSL/TLS decryption of HTTPS websites
- Web Control (Best part you can block Top Level Domains)
- Application Control
- and a few more settings that are there out of the box.
Been using this on my Gaming Rig with no issues on Windows 11 23H2

Sincerely
Val.

Last edited:

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
In good conscious I could never recommend Costumer grade AVs. (Some come with nag-screens others with so much bloat that slows down everything and looks like an AD-Show)

I had a combo once but wanted to go to a single robust solution that is manageable.

Combo was:
F-Secure (Only Malware-Scanner), Glasswire and Windows Software Restriction Policy (NOT AppLocker [Nighmare to Setup])

Now I use:
Sophos Intercept X Advanced with XDR (Live-Response and Datalake) <- No need if you do not want to mingle around with Querys in XDR -> The Sophos Intercept X Advanced is good enough.
Setup the following Policys:
- Threat Protection for Exclusions (Some Hollow Process Alerts from Apps that have odd Steam integration)
- SSL/TLS decryption of HTTPS websites
- Web Control (Best part you can block Top Level Domains)
- Application Control
- and a few more settings that are there out of the box.
Been using this on my Gaming Rig with no issues on Windows 11 23H2

Sincerely
Val.
How much does Intercept X cost?

Reactions: cryogent

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
- Avast máx settings + hardmode + sandbox is very strong.
- Norton agrresive setting in bot + aggressive setting in heuristic + SONAR in agressive is very light and powerfull.
Is not a EDR protection, but as home protection it is very powerful, any of those options in my opinion.
Is maxed avast or Norton more powerful than Kaspersky’s engine?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can’t you ourchase Norton Firewall separately? I might try it out in aggressive.
No, it's not possible anymore. Pre-2010 was the last known period where users could buy Norton Personal Firewall as a separate purchase.

There is not much choice when it comes to standalone Firewall software that are not WFP-based.

In 2014, in an effort to streamline its Norton product line, Symantec combined nine standalone Norton products into one all-purpose suite
Wiki: Norton Security - Wikipedia
Related: PC Tools (company) - Wikipedia

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
No, it's not possible anymore. Pre-2010 was the last known period where users could buy Norton Personal Firewall as a separate purchase.

There is not much choice when it comes to standalone Firewall software that are not WFP-based.

Wiki: Norton Security - Wikipedia
Related: PC Tools (company) - Wikipedia
In that case would it be better to use windows firewall with additional hardening rules?

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
This will increase low risk detections but may also increase false positives.
yes, aware of possible increase of false+ but I'm careful to double check everything / anything. It is rare for me to get any fp or alerts, although Norton popped up an alert for gmpopenh264.dll shortly after I opened Firefox, and before I could do anything, ie, seconds, Norton said it was safe and popup disappeared, and this was with BB on Automatic (not Aggressive). But I checked it out anyway. I have not run this VM with Norton for several weeks. This win10_vm is fast responsive, and I'm liking Norton, but it's not my daily vm.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Right now there are 4 solutions im looking at.

1: Kaspersky Premium
2: Deep Instinct
3: CheckPoint Harmony
4: Cortex XDR

I know a good amount about Harmony and DI, however I don’t know pricing for either or anything about Cortex besides it’s very, very good.

Does anyone have more information about any of these products or recommendations?

Currently I am paying 100 USD Yearly for Kaspersky and I want something a bit cheaper.
Not sure if I'm allowed to post but there are all kind of sites that sell it
One that has some of the better pricing is this one 14$ for harmony endpoint they have an ebay listing if you prefer extra protection from ebay

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Not sure if I'm allowed to post but there are all kind of sites that sell it
One that has some of the better pricing is this one 14$ for harmony endpoint they have an ebay listing if you prefer extra protection from ebay
Are you sure these are legitimate though?

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Are you sure these are legitimate though?
Its Israeli based verified reseller and have options like ebay / PayPal for payment
And you can always chargeback
other sites probably are legitimate too but usually more expansive as well some being from countries with worse usa relationship
but who cares you could just chargeback
Personally recommend PayPal just to reduce chances of pishing

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.