• Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Downloading malware samples
Computer specs
2.5-GHz Intel Core i5-7200U
8gb Ram
256gb SSD
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup configuration may put you and your device at risk!
    We do not recommend that other members use this setup. We cannot be held responsible for problems that may occur to your device by using this security setup.

D

Deleted member 178

Our goal here when reviewing security configs should be adding the essentials when they're lacking, or simplifying when they're overkill, not to a point where they will stop every possible infection, because that would be almost impossible, but to a point where security and performance are balanced.
Exactly what I'm doing since years here as a member and ex-mod of the config section.

Saying I'm wrong because I suggested to remove a program with little benefit in real world scenarios baffles me a bit - you could have explained your point of view without discrediting me.
If you knew or used HMPA you won't suggest to remove it, it is easier to use than Windows Exploit Guard and do more than just blocking exploits.
But what makes me intervene is the way you seems to dismiss the threat.
Sorry exploits are part of the landscape, not as frequent than ransomware but still hitting people. Remember Eternalblue/doublepulsar/WannaCry hitting hundreds of thousands of machines? Not so rare, even now EB/DP they are still used. Exploits are more and more used.
In Win10 Home, you have an Anti-exploit built-in (Ex-EMET) , if the threat was negligible, MS won't add it...
Now I won't force someone to use a 3rd party anti-exploit but if he does use one, I won't tell him to remove it, and not by saying HMPA afford nothing, it is here where you are wrong. It does add to the overall security whatever you like it or not.

Sorry if you feel discriminated by my first reply, this is Umbra for you, but if you had formulated your opinion more accurately , i probably wouldnt intervened.

Itwt

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I limit MS as much as i can.

isn't it also Edge/IE only? - which i dont have installed anyway.

SmartScreen in no way affects my security or my setup. @harlan4096 (y)

I only use Chrome as browser, and smartscreen has been out there some times to tell me about something. I don't think it's only for Edge/ IE.Otherwise great config.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Great config, only one this year I have seen that has actually impressed me. May I ask how you removed the clutter and crap from your OS?

~LDogg

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
I only use Chrome as browser, and smartscreen has been out there some times to tell me about something. I don't think it's only for Edge/ IE.Otherwise great config.
Microsoft state it is only for IE/Edge.

maybe you've seen it 'after' downloading or trying to run a file.

Reactions: oldschool

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
Great config, only one this year I have seen that has actually impressed me. May I ask how you removed the clutter and crap from your OS?
~LDogg

Cheers! - Clutter-free, light in resources & no active AV/Signature based solutions is what i like. :emoji_ok_hand:

This should help you: Windows 10 Privacy Guide - October 2018 Update

Then use Black Viper & SysHardender to secure & slim those sevices even further.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
17410742 wrote:

"Microsoft state it is only for IE/Edge"

"Windows Smartscreen works when you run any file, if you have it turned on. I use Chrome on Windows 10 and have also seen Windows Smartscreen -- it is not related to the browser you use. If it helps, here is a screenshot of what a legitimate Windows Smartscreen prompt looks like:"
1547825661974.png

This is from a Chrome help forum: Google Groups

I was pretty sure about my claim, as it was the typical smartscreen.
I never use Edge/ IE.

-Nevi

Last edited:

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
17410742 wrote:

"Microsoft state it is only for IE/Edge"

"Windows Smartscreen works when you run any file, if you have it turned on. I use Chrome on Windows 10 and have also seen Windows Smartscreen -- it is not related to the browser you use. If it helps, here is a screenshot of what a legitimate Windows Smartscreen prompt looks like:"
View attachment 206667

This is from a Chrome help forum: Google Groups

I was pretty sure about my claim, as it was the typical smartscreen.
I never use Edge/ IE.
No,

Smartscreen has an active filter as you browse.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...rnet-explorer-smartscreen-filter-faq#ie=ie-11

Smartscreen also works at the OS level that works when running programmes.

FYI - By using Chrome, you are only getting the latter.

You rely on Google's version, just as a user would also rely on Firefox's version - but by not using EDGE/IE, you aint getting a complete SS service.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I don't wanna argue with you. I gave you proof that other have seen it, and it's confirmed on that site. If you say "no", fine. It's your computer.
Google Groups

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
I don't wanna argue with you. I gave you proof that other have seen it, and it's confirmed on that site. If you say "no", fine. It's your computer.:emoji_fingers_crossed:
You give me proof (from a Google Groups website) & even claiming that you were certain about your claim.

all whilst rejecting what Microsoft themselves tell you & then give a childish "fine, its your computer"

There's a word for people like you, i wont argue too - I'll let you guess. :unsure:

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Yes proof that other have seen it. Microsoft say so much.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.