NVIDIA RTX 2060
16GB
SSD 512GB
Notable changes
May 21, 2024
Switched my AV to Crowdstrike Falcon Go from Kaspersky Plus
Migrated to ProtonPass from KPM

May 29, 2024
Changed USB Policy for Mass Storage from read, write, and execute to read and write.
Changed Adware & PUP Prevention Level to Aggressive
Used AppLocker to block .exe, msi, and scripts in Downloads folder from executing

May 30, 2024
Changed all Prevention Level to Aggressive

June 7, 2024
Changed DNS from NextDNS to ControlD
What I'm looking for?

Looking for minimum feedback.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Nice config! Tho you don't need to enable LOLBins + recommended as H_c recommended is just a smaller collection of all the LOLBins.

Reactions: Nevi and Allego

Allego

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Nice config! Tho you don't need to enable LOLBins + recommended as H_c recommended is just a smaller collection of all the LOLBins.
Okay thanks for letting me know. Though I did clicked both so far no problems. Anyway, I don't use MS Office but I use LibreOffice. Do I need to "add rule" all of its .exe files or just leave it?

Reactions: Nevi

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Okay thanks for letting me know. Though I did clicked both so far no problems. Anyway, I don't use MS Office but I use LibreOffice. Do I need to "add rule" all of its .exe files or just leave it?
Simply click on "add LOLBins" and you are good to go. The rest like Adobe, MS Office rules are only necessary if you actually use the software

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I would:

* Set UAC to Always Notify.
* Periodic malware scanners: add any 3rd party second Opinion Scanner would be welcome.
* System recovery: a full image system backup solution would be welcome also here.

Thanks for sharing :)

Allego

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
I would:

* Set UAC to Always Notify.
* Periodic malware scanners: add any 3rd party second Opinion Scanner would be welcome.
* System recovery: a full image system backup solution would be welcome also here.

Thanks for sharing :)
I will just leave the UAC to its default and won't add a second opinion scanner because I won't add anymore apps in this system. Just the browser, real-time security, password manager, vpn, firewall hardening tool, o&o shutup, and Libre Office. If my curiosity kicks in, I'll just fire up the Windows Sandbox or Hyper-V and visit the website there. I did make a system recovery though using the Windows create recovery drive feature into my flash drive (y)

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I will just leave the UAC to its default and won't add a second opinion scanner because I won't add anymore apps in this system. Just the browser, real-time security, password manager, vpn, firewall hardening tool, o&o shutup, and Libre Office. If my curiosity kicks in, I'll just fire up the Windows Sandbox or Hyper-V and visit the website there. I did make a system recovery though using the Windows create recovery drive feature into my flash drive (y)
May I ask how you managed to get Crowdstrike? And how is it running on your system?

Allego

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
May I ask how you managed to get Crowdstrike? And how is it running on your system?
I got it through Amazon for $39 per license. It feels light in the system. Even though I turned all the settings and put the protection level to Aggressive/Moderate. It reminds of Panda Cloud when I used it years ago.

Allego

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Some small changes
Changed Adware & PUP Prevention Level to Aggressive
Changed USB Policy for Mass Storage from read, write, and execute to read and write.
Used AppLocker to block .exe, msi, and script files in Downloads folder from executing

Allego

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Okay so after some testing, I changed all the prevention levels from moderate to aggressive and I didn't feel any performance impact. So it's all good (y)
This probably the last time I'll mess with the settings until they introduce new features or until I discover some again 'cause I'm still exploring and learning about their console 😅

Reactions: oldschool and Kongo

Allego

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
NextDNS subscription was up and went to ControlD. Almost the same speed at least in my area. So far so good

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.