2 computers, 2 malwares, what's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alWduk

Thread author
Verified
Jan 9, 2014
I imagine that most newbies come with major problems, at least that's why I am here.

I have 2 w7 computers on home wifi network. I have had many problems over the last month or so. Have purchased BD Total Security and run avast and malwarebytes, no items detected except for cookie types, doublecllck, etc.

Today, my computer can't open locked file, even using admin account.

I have upgraded the desktop to w 7 and reinstalled clean the w 7 on the laptop.

Things seem to get better and without having identified a virus, I wonder if I am ok. Then back something else comes.

How often does some new attack take place that is not identified by BD, and the two others? I plan on reinstalling the w 7 on the laptop but what else can be done?

Appreciate any help and thanks!

Al

Reactions: MalwareDetective

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Welcome to MT :) Thanks for joining!!

Don't really understand what you mean by "can't open locked file"?You may not have been infected with anything.

Nothing is 100% and your browsing habits and what you click on,download and install plays a huge part in your chances of becoming infected.There are programs such as Sandboxie which allow you to run your browsers in a Sandbox which in turn keeps the bad stuff from your PC.New Viruses and Malware emerge what seems like daily now.Keeping Windows updated and your Security Sotware and other programs up to date makes a big difference also.Anytime you do a clean install of your OS,you will feel the difference in terms of performance because in a sense it is brand new.

Last edited:
Reactions: alWduk

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
hello alWduk

also you should not run 2 Antivirus software at the sametime as that can make problems one will fight with the other (BD,Avast)

Malwarebytes is NOT a AV program so it is ok to use with a Antivirus program

if you need help with removing a virus you should post and ask for help here and someone will help you

http://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-removal-assistance.10/

and read this before posting in that part of the forums "Malware Removal Assistance - How to get help?"

http://malwaretips.com/threads/malware-removal-assistance-how-to-get-help.20334/

and welcome to MalwareTips

:)

James

alWduk

Thread author
Verified
Jan 9, 2014
Thanks for your prompt reply.

The file in question is an encrypted excel file. Have opened over 100 times over last 5 years. Today, could not open with it's password in the user account, nor in the system admin account. I have used MS synctoy and was setting up to sync this file on 2 computers. Wondering if the synctoy getting started somehow 'locked up' the file for some reason but can't open with admin accnt and correct password.

I understand nothing is 100%, but having major different problems over last 1 1/2 months. After upgrading to w 7 and completing windows certification process, about 1 month later, suddenly got counterfeit software warning and changes in the operation of w 7. Finally reran the cert process and this problem cleared out. A number of other serious things like this.

I am very careful about email and browsing activities. I run BD Total Security and Secunia to ensure that all programs including windows are up to date. Anyway, am security conscious as I know how to be. Today, could not get Secunia to install, nor flashplayer. Have to end programs with Task Manager, etc.

I have run reinstalls a number of times, though it takes quite a long time loading programs, etc.

A long reply, I know but am really glad to have found this forum and hope I can make further improvements and get system running again.

To conclude, my problem is all these symptoms, while BD, Malwarebytes and Avast have found nothing in particular, or tell my my system is clean. After running avast, BD found items in the avast folder. That is really hard for me to understand.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have never had good luck with Bitdefender.I have only tested it for a short period of time but found it buggy.On Windows 8.1 found out that it is not compatible{BIS,BTS 2014},although it might be now.I was unable to install on Windows 8.1 as the installer would crash.

Maybe looking at some other configs and asking other members might sway you into trying another Security Product.

When you do a clean install of Windows 7 maybe try using MSE & Windows firewall.Use Sandboxie{free} for your browsing and Malwarebytes AntiMalware & Hitman Pro for on demand scanners.Use some extensions in your browser such as adblock plus,HTTPS Everywhere,Wot Ghostery.You can also use a Password manger.

This might be a better fit for your system and offer you less problems.

alWduk

Thread author
Verified
Jan 9, 2014
Thanks again. I have started a list of things from your post that I should keep in mind as I work to fix my system. I really appreciate it.

Use 1 or more extensions in browser? Can you recommend a good and secure password manager?

Do you have a link to the best source of information for the first thread on malware removal? What should I do to get ready for this?

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
ok again if you are running Avast and BD in realtime at the sametime with realtime protection on in both this could be some of the problem

you should not run 2 AV's at the sametime

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
ok again if you are running Avast and BD in realtime at the sametime with realtime protection on in both this could be some of the problem

this might definitely cause a conflict and slowdown if you have both of these installed on your system at the same time.If you do uninstall Avast and see what happens

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I think that you should uninstall BitDefender and leave Avast, it's known for bugs and can cause such problems like you have.
Never use 2 AV's at same time, there's no need

alWduk

Thread author
Verified
Jan 9, 2014
To clarify, I know am aware not to run 2 AVs at the same time. Unsure if only one can be installed.

alWduk

Thread author
Verified
Jan 9, 2014
I noticed that several messages were locked by other users. Are unlocked reports a problem? If so how to encrypt them?

alWduk

Thread author
Verified
Jan 9, 2014
Thanks so much. I will be running the same sequence on my other computer now and go to the new thread you suggested.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Thanks so much. I will be running the same sequence on my other computer now and go to the new thread you suggested.

You don't need to start a new thread as I moved your post with the logs to the appropriate forum here http://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-removal-assistance.10/

Your thread is here now: http://malwaretips.com/threads/2-computers-2-malwares-whats-next.21491/

You can add anything else to the link above or wait for instructions from Twin or Kuttus

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.