Advice Request 2017: Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 23 23.2%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 41 41.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Airvpn is openvpn :p
Also Avira phantom vpn is from openvpn so all the same ;)
OpenVPN is an open source software based on client-server architecture and is definitely used by many VPN 'Providers'.

But you know what, it won't offer 100% privacy (and this is known) needed by the VPN providers (NordVPN, AirVPN, Avira Phantom VPN providers).
Each of them will tweak, add to and fortify provisions of the OpenVPN structure and then deliver their final product.

If all products using the same base were equals, then selecting the best distro (for security and privacy) among the many distros built on 'Ubuntu' for example, shouldn't matter because all use the same base ie. Ubuntu.
(Didn't give an example on different 'Linux' distros because many are built from scratch and have different bases to offer).
But it matters. Some distros built on Ubuntu itself, like Elementary OS, have some different provisions (mostly additions or tweaks) for security than stock Ubuntu.

So to answer in short, there will always be some differences in technicalities and offerings of the VPN providers using OpenVPN, by choice, limitations or needs.

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
I have to agree here, seeing I just started using AirVPN, and here in the US I do have access to some fast servers.
I love that they log 0% so there is nothing to collect and they are not located "Based" on US soil.
I voted "Other" = AirVPN
Good choice mate :) I use it myself and its maybe the best public vpn provider avaiable with perfect-privacy vpn. :) U will never go wrong with these two.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Reading this thread again ( and the title ... "why" ) I should have said that privacy and security are my prime reasons
for buying a VPN service .

Other folk will have different priorities ..... watching regionally blocked TV , torrents etc , in which case speed
will probably be the biggest factor in choosing a provider that best suits your needs .

Some of the " strongest " VPN services may either block torrenting , or throttle bandwidth when it is detected .

As for logging policies , it is simply a matter of our own trust ( that they are truly not keeping logs ) .
How are we ever going to find out , or prove them to be lying ?
Hack into their servers ?
Knock at the door ?

I give extra credit to VPN services with a " Warrant Canary " policy in place
..... if the canary stops singing , the environment is probably toxic .

It's well worth a read if you are not already familiar with it .

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
As for logging policies , it is simply a matter of our own trust ( that they are truly not keeping logs ) .
How are we ever going to find out , or prove them to be lying ?
All conspiracy theories aside, it is pretty easy, people tend to share when things like that happen
they talk and it would be very hard to keep that out of the public.
You take AirVPN for example, it's one of the oldest, if they were rats we would have heard about it by now, but you can go to
their site and "knock on the door" if you like :)
Even if they turned over the email address, I used Protonmail so the trail ends there, next what they might have is payment info,
I am not that worried, but if I wanted to kill that too, I would pay with Bitcoin.
Like I said though, I'm not worried, mine is for added security, and ISP data collection hindrance :)
The rest is just Icing on the cake. ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I give extra credit to VPN services with a " Warrant Canary " policy in place
Only companies that can be compelled to comply really need warrant canary if you think about it.
To companies in places like the Netherlands, Switzerland ect. Warrant Canary is useless to them. they will deny the warrant.
In all honesty if you know how Warrant Canary functions, it does not enforce anything, its like giving a binky to a crying baby,
it's for comforting the insecure.

Urusen

Level 2
Verified
Aug 10, 2014
I voted for ExpressVPN, which I got from a MT giveaway.
It runs totally smooth, I can not feel a slowdown in terms of internet connection (I did not measure, my router isn't the best either, and with 6k, it's not fast as hell anyway). However, i'd invest in ExpressVPN only if I'd use it daily, because for me it seems quite expensive (but hey, you get what you pay for).

Tried CyberGhost before, conflicted with Dr. Web when I was testing that suite in the HUB. Luckily, the CyberGhost reseller refunded me instantly, without any discussions.

Another alternative would be Windscribe, the free 50 GB / month deal seems to be still available - Get 50GB free VPN bandwidth every month for life | TechRadar.

I got 1 year ExpreeVPN from MT giveaway too. eheh And another 1 year from ExpressVPN blog.
Its a very consistent and reliable VPN. It has good support and most of time I dont have any issues with their servers and I change servers A LOT.
Its 'kill internet switch' really works.

Its expensive, but I guess It does what it promises.

Reactions: frogboy

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For privacy I would suggest

IVPN and VPN.ac

ProtonVPN seems good. It only owns its "secure core" servers (physically) and the rest are hosted by hosting companies around the world. It may not have its own DNS servers but it's built-in with DNS leak protection.

There's an in-depth look at ProtonVPN here

An In-Depth Look at ProtonVPN - andryou

Reactions: ispx and frogboy

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
bought TigerVPN as a bargain on stacksocial ( lifetime 15 nodes ) it is also based on open vpn and I have no problems with them. fast connections and super friendly customer support , nice and easy / understandable user interface , p2p allowed and its good for novices and pro's ;) and also good to know : NO leaks!!!

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

orphyone

Level 1
Verified
May 11, 2017
i can't find any evidence that they log info or anything of that sort
Very true, even a system like TOR which is decentralized with encrypted traffic is still dependent on it's exit nodes which anyone can log traffic from.

A very real threat that I train people on is 2 never use Social Media/Identifiable Behavior Actions on a single VPN/Privacy solution due to the easy ability shown of timing correlation of usage summarized in this great Defcon presentation:

I use 3 VPN services myself and even use some neat techniques which I won't openly discuss (as that would defeat them being effective) to work to mitigate timing correlation even going as far as using my TorPI (Raspberry PI with Wireless TOR Relay) and letting neighbors on it to add more "noise" some times as well.

konkisko

Level 1
Verified
May 13, 2017
Very true, even a system like TOR which is decentralized with encrypted traffic is still dependent on it's exit nodes which anyone can log traffic from.

A very real threat that I train people on is 2 never use Social Media/Identifiable Behavior Actions on a single VPN/Privacy solution due to the easy ability shown of timing correlation of usage summarized in this great Defcon presentation:

I use 3 VPN services myself and even use some neat techniques which I won't openly discuss (as that would defeat them being effective) to work to mitigate timing correlation even going as far as using my TorPI (Raspberry PI with Wireless TOR Relay) and letting neighbors on it to add more "noise" some times as well.

wow! Such a good and educating video! Thank you!

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
For phones, I use Hideman VPN Free.
For PCs, Windscribe.

Note that I dont pay for its services, I just use them when I need to play some blocked games or visit a blocked website in my country. Not regular usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.