Battle 3 Laptop Choices

inuyasha

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
I'm currently looking for a new laptop to replace my old one (from 2015 running Intel Pentium - I know, horrible right?). I mainly use my laptop for work, streaming movies, skyping and video conferencing. I would also like to be able to use it for gaming so I can play Overwatch and League of Legends seamlessly. My price range is below $1000 CAD. I also want something no-fuss where I don't have to add any additional hardware or components. I've narrowed it down to 3 possible choice that look good to me IMO. I'm open to suggestions and other options though. Ideally, I would like to keep a new one for 3-4 years. Hoping you guys can help me out.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It may push your budget by $99.

A family-friend recently purchased a HP ENVY 13-inch with these specs:
  • Intel Core i5-8250U Processor
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Storage: 256 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2 GB
  • Display: Full HD with Touch (Corning Gorilla Glass)
  • Supports Windows 10 Hello with it's side-mounted Fingerprint reader.
  • Looks professional for work.
The Limited Storage and RAM might be an issue, but it was not purchased with gaming in mind. However, I'll leave a link if interested:
Let's talk about NVIDIA's GeForce MX150 for a minute

A fairly good deal in terms of what you get - and you can get it on the Canadian Microsoft Store site:
I'm currently looking for a new laptop to replace my old one (from 2015 running Intel Pentium - I know, horrible right?). I mainly use my laptop for work, streaming movies, skyping and video conferencing. I would also like to be able to use it for gaming so I can play Overwatch and League of Legends seamlessly. My price range is below $1000 CAD. I also want something no-fuss where I don't have to add any additional hardware or components. I've narrowed it down to 3 possible choice that look good to me IMO. I'm open to suggestions and other options though. Ideally, I would like to keep a new one for 3-4 years. Hoping you guys can help me out.

Your best bet is to wait until cyberweek sales in late Nov. For your budget you will get more for your money. Patience will pay off.

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
You did not define your needs well enough. And IMO, those 3 options you provided should not be compared to each other because they are 3 difference sizes.

You need to decide before hand, what size screen you want. For me, none would do as I like 17" notebooks - and not just for the screen size but 17" notebooks tend to have larger keyboards which tend to be better for wrist pain.

You said "work", but did not say if you will be "taking" it to work every day. That is, does it really need to be a mobile computer? Will you be lugging it on business trips? How important is weight? How important is battery run time? What type connectivity (to external monitors and projectors, for example) do you need?

As for gaming...

Keep in mind that notebook makers can pack the power of a PC into those tiny notebook cases, but not the cooling. Consider the fact full size tower cases (with multiple monster fans) are challenged (and often fail) to keep the components inside properly cooled during demanding tasks (like gaming). So it is no wonder notebook cases are too. Another problem is, unlike PC cases which are designed with removable side panels for easy access for thorough cleaning of heat trapping dust, notebook cases typically cannot be opened for thorough access. This means over time, heat-trapping dust will get packed in there. Never good.

Fortunately, mobile processors and motherboards are designed to throttle back in speeds when heated, but of course, that means computer performance is throttled back too. Despite what the "gaming notebook" marketing weenies want us to believe, there really is no such thing as a good, "mobile" gaming computer (or a "desktop replacement" for that matter). There are just too many compromises needed when that much power is jammed into such a tiny box.

I am not saying you still cannot get good "game play", just don't expect it to be a top gaming machine, equivalent to a gaming PC. And to the heat issue, if gaming, I sure would recommend the use of a notebook cooling pad. Their effectiveness is largely dependent on the design of the notebook and vent locations, but if nothing else, the pads elevate the notebook for better circulation underneath. And be sure to get a pad that comes with its own power supply, or that you can power through a USB wall-charger/adapter. No need to put extra demands on the notebook's power circuits when they are already being taxed.

Of course a cooling pad just means more weight and bulk to lug around with the mobile computer. :(

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Sounds like you want a little gaming power with productivity. I'd grab this one before anything else;

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GL62M-7REX-1896US-i7-7700HQ-Steelseries/dp/B074VLX5XV

inuyasha

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
You did not define your needs well enough. And IMO, those 3 options you provided should not be compared to each other because they are 3 difference sizes.

You need to decide before hand, what size screen you want. For me, none would do as I like 17" notebooks - and not just for the screen size but 17" notebooks tend to have larger keyboards which tend to be better for wrist pain.

You said "work", but did not say if you will be "taking" it to work every day. That is, does it really need to be a mobile computer? Will you be lugging it on business trips? How important is weight? How important is battery run time? What type connectivity (to external monitors and projectors, for example) do you need?

As for gaming...

Keep in mind that notebook makers can pack the power of a PC into those tiny notebook cases, but not the cooling. Consider the fact full size tower cases (with multiple monster fans) are challenged (and often fail) to keep the components inside properly cooled during demanding tasks (like gaming). So it is no wonder notebook cases are too. Another problem is, unlike PC cases which are designed with removable side panels for easy access for thorough cleaning of heat trapping dust, notebook cases typically cannot be opened for thorough access. This means over time, heat-trapping dust will get packed in there. Never good.

Fortunately, mobile processors and motherboards are designed to throttle back in speeds when heated, but of course, that means computer performance is throttled back too. Despite what the "gaming notebook" marketing weenies want us to believe, there really is no such thing as a good, "mobile" gaming computer (or a "desktop replacement" for that matter). There are just too many compromises needed when that much power is jammed into such a tiny box.

I am not saying you still cannot get good "game play", just don't expect it to be a top gaming machine, equivalent to a gaming PC. And to the heat issue, if gaming, I sure would recommend the use of a notebook cooling pad. Their effectiveness is largely dependent on the design of the notebook and vent locations, but if nothing else, the pads elevate the notebook for better circulation underneath. And be sure to get a pad that comes with its own power supply, or that you can power through a USB wall-charger/adapter. No need to put extra demands on the notebook's power circuits when they are already being taxed.

Of course a cooling pad just means more weight and bulk to lug around with the mobile computer. :(

The size of the screen doesn't really matter to me. Also the weight doesn't matter either because I won't be moving it that often. Even if I am, it will be just from one room to another. Battery, also, is not an issue because I am almost always around a wall outlet. I won't be connecting it to any external devices except for a TV through an HDMI port.

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Doesn't sound like you really need a mobile device to me.

Because the 3 are so different, I cannot really say which would be better for you. For me, I would want the largest screen, most RAM (at least 8GB), SSD, decent graphics, and a decent i5. It would also have to have USB3.x and 802.11ac wireless and Ethernet, and preferably Bluetooth.

inuyasha

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
Doesn't sound like you really need a mobile device to me.

Because the 3 are so different, I cannot really say which would be better for you. For me, I would want the largest screen, most RAM (at least 8GB), SSD, decent graphics, and a decent i5. It would also have to have USB3.x and 802.11ac wireless and Ethernet, and preferably Bluetooth.

you can make another suggestion besides the 3, but i really do need a laptop as I do move a lot but small distances

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Sorry, but I am just not up on notebooks to feel comfortable recommending specific models. My old 17" Toshiba is still chugging along, serving me well.

I gave my criteria above.

I have had two Dells in the past that gave no problems. The one HP I used at work did not "feel" like it was of the same quality as the Dells. But all those were years ago.

I would avoid Lenovo at all costs. While they make good products, the company has a very long and documented history of repeatedly planting spyware and malware on their notebooks. :(

It should be noted that most notebook makers don't really make their products. They just assemble parts made by others. Foxconn and ASUS make many motherboards for all the makers. Of course Intel and AMD make the processors. There are only a few screen makers. Same with RAM.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.