Advice Request 32 bit vs 64 bit OS windows 7

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindows

Thread author
Aug 19, 2011
So most of the Windows users would have questions about the 32 bit and 64 bit OS...

Here is the answer!

So what OS do you use?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Didn't watch the videos but this debate isn't really for the year 2011.
If you have more than 2GB of RAM and your PC can support 64bit..than x64 is the way to go. All the apps and programs support the x64 architecture and no developer will release a program without being 64bit ready.
And the only way you can enjoy the full power of a modern computer is by using the 64-bit architecture.A 64bit PC can handle larger amounts of information than a 32-bit system. Since it can use more RAM—4 GB and up—a 64-bit computer can be more responsive when you're running lots of programs at once.
32-bit is history. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
All I can say in a simple words that 64bit will be the next generations.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
jamescv7 said:
All I can say in a simple words that 64bit will be the next generations.
Or to better put it 128-bit will be the next generation :p ... 64-bit is happening right now.

Lindows

Thread author
Aug 19, 2011
Jack said:
If you have more than 2GB of RAM and your PC can support 64bit..than x64 is the way to go. All the apps and programs support the x64 architecture and no developer will release a program without being 64bit ready.
And the only way you can enjoy a the full power of a modern computer is by using the 64bit architecture.A 64bit PC can handle larger amounts of information than a 32-bit system. Since it can use more RAM—4 GB and up—a 64-bit computer can be more responsive when you're running lots of programs at once.
32bit is history. :)

I used 32 bit OS previously and i am using 64 bit now so i haven't seen much of a difference...... Also It is hard for a regular users ram usage to exceed 4 GB so no need of more than 4 GB ram now... There is not much of a difference.......
You can only get more performance if only you use very very intense apps...
And my 64 bit experiences more application crashes than 32 bit OS...

But 64 bit is the future for sure and there are rumors that win 8 is going to have 128 bit...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since its still a rumors for 128 bit then 64 bit was considered to be next generations once its was now standard and majority used by users around the world.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Lindows said:
I used 32 bit OS previously and i am using 64 bit now so i haven't seen much of a difference......

That's because most applications are still 32bit.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Even there is a 64bit existence several application are still not yet compatible to 64bit.

Example is Revo Uninstaller Free which only compatible to 32bit only and Geswall.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
64-bit OS's should be pushed and 32-bit discouraged unless running on non-64-bit capable processors, then in that case they lose out running the latest OS's. Haha.

It would be wonderful if computer manufactures stopped using old hardware and stay current. Similar to Mac OS X Lion.

The 128-bit rumour is something I don't think will happen, since the processor would have to support 128-bit. Costly for us consumers. I don't see what benefits a 128-bit OS would bring, unless someone could explain? Thanks :D

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
The 128bit rumor was silly. IT's not about hardware or software advancing it's about the difficulty of having to then write drivers for 128bit architecture. 64bit is perfectly fine for a long time - we don't even have all of our programs at 64bit yet.

I

illumination

Hungry Man said:
we don't even have all of our programs at 64bit yet.

Agree, look how long Adobe has been dragging their feet with the 64bit version of flash. although it is closer now, in beta stage, it is not fully developed yet, let alone most of the other software out there..

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
It will be nice when there's a 64bit version of Flash - I expect Chrome to follow very soon after.

Lindows

Thread author
Aug 19, 2011
Hungry Man said:
The 128bit rumor was silly. IT's not about hardware or software advancing it's about the difficulty of having to then write drivers for 128bit architecture. 64bit is perfectly fine for a long time - we don't even have all of our programs at 64bit yet.

In case of 64 bit it can run most of the 32 bit applications, for example winrar 32 bit version.... 128 bit is going to be future i think, read this...

128-bit
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 128 bit)
Processors
4-bit 8-bit 12-bit 16-bit 18-bit 24-bit 31-bit 32-bit 36-bit 48-bit 60-bit 64-bit 128-bit
Applications
16-bit 32-bit 64-bit
Data Sizes
nibble octet byte word dword qword
IEEE floating-point standard
Single precision floating-point format (32-bit) Double precision floating-point format (64 bit)
In computer architecture, 128-bit integers, memory addresses, or other data units are those that are at most 128 bits 16 octets wide. Also, 128-bit CPU and ALU architectures are those that are based on registers, address buses, or data buses of that size.
There are currently no mainstream general-purpose processors built to operate on 128-bit integers or addresses, though a number of processors do operate on 128-bit data. The IBM System/370 could be considered the first rudimentary 128-bit computer as it used 128-bit floating point registers. Most modern CPUs feature SIMD instruction sets (SSE, AltiVec etc.) where 128-bit vector registers are used to store several smaller numbers, such as four 32-bit floating-point numbers, and a single instruction can operate on all these values in parallel. However, these processors do not operate on individual numbers that are 128 binary digits in length, only their registers have the size of 128-bits.
The DEC VAX supported operations on 128-bit integer ('O' or octaword) and 128-bit floating-point ('H-float' or HFLOAT) datatypes. Support for such operations was an upgrade option rather than being a standard feature. Since the VAX's registers were 32-bits wide, a 128-bit operation used four consecutive registers or four longwords in memory.
[edit]Uses

128 bits is a common key size for symmetric ciphers in cryptography. It is also the size of Globally Unique Identifiers and IPv6 addresses.
128-bit processors could be used for addressing directly up to 2128 (over 3.40 × 1038) bytes, which would greatly exceed the total data stored on Earth as of 2010, which has been estimated to be around 1.2 zettabytes (over 270 bytes).[1]
Quadruple precision (128-bit) floating point numbers can store qword (64-bit) fixed point numbers or integers accurately without losing precision. Notice that since the 8087 (1980), x86 architecture supports 80-bit floating points that store and process 64-bit signed integers (-263...263-1) accurately.
The AS/400 virtual instruction set defines all pointers as 128-bit. This gets translated to the hardware's real instruction set as required, allowing the underlying hardware to change without needing to recompile the software. Past hardware was 32-bit CISC, while current hardware is 64-bit PowerPC. Because pointers are defined to be 128-bit, future hardware may be 128-bit without software incompatibility.
Increasing the word size can speed up multiple precision mathematical libraries. Applications include cryptography.
[edit]History

A 128-bit multicomparator was described by researchers in 1976.[2]
A CPU with 128-bit multimedia extensions was designed by researchers in 1999.[3]
[edit]

Source Wikipedia...

D

Deleted member 178

Jack said:
And the only way you can enjoy the full power of a modern computer is by using the 64-bit architecture.A 64bit PC can handle larger amounts of information than a 32-bit system. Since it can use more RAM—4 GB and up—a 64-bit computer can be more responsive when you're running lots of programs at once.
32-bit is history. :)

cannot say better, but some hardware vendors install by default x86 OS on x64 capable machines just for saving money...

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
theoretically the cpu uses 32 channels in 32bit OS compared to 64bit where the cpu uses 64 channels(2x 32channel) in 64bit OS. This means that application that are programmed for 64bit OS should be twice as fast as 32bit applications.

In the real world only 48bit is used so something like that.

64bit mostly benefits heavy application such as CAD, games(modern) and so on.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I voted for 64-bit since it allows users to use more RAM than 32-bit users and that it is also much more secure than the 32-bit Counterpart.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Many of you took the words right out my mouth.
64-bit - better power. Can't go wrong with that.

D

Deleted member 178

BoXX28 said:
I voted for 64-bit since it allows users to use more RAM than 32-bit users and that it is also much more secure than the 32-bit Counterpart.

cant go against it :D

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
64 bit all the way!, Much more RAM possibilitys uses and so much more!... i will not be going back to 32-bit ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.