Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Backup: Norton Ghost Backup and Recovery
Password Manager: Lastpass
Other Tools:
Ccleaner
UAC: Off

I have ordered a new computer and finally retiring this old computer, this computer will no longer be in use when it arrives
THIS CONFIG IS FINAL.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Ever considered Waterfox over Firefox for a 64 bit OS?

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
McLovin said:
Ever considered Waterfox over Firefox for a 64 bit OS?
I've though about it but never have.
I'll give it a shot.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Alright, Used Waterfox for a day now, I like it so Added to config.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
MalwareVirus said:
"UAC Turned Off"
Why ?
I find it useless for me, It just annoys me and doesn't give me enough info like a Hips/BB does.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
3link9 said:
Alright, Used Waterfox for a day now, I like it so Added to config.

Glad to hear that. Running smoothly I guess?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I still don't understand why (some) HIPS-users think is UAC useless?
"User Account Control (UAC) is a security component that allows an administrator to enter credentials during a non-administrator's user session to perform occasional administrative tasks."

What's not enough information? A program asking for more privileges is not enough information, and in one of the more simpler forms than a BB/HIPS pop-up.

Correctly using UAC will save your behind, than any BB or HIPS.

What programs prompt for UAC that you find annoying?

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Earth said:
I still don't understand why (some) HIPS-users think is UAC useless?
"User Account Control (UAC) is a security component that allows an administrator to enter credentials during a non-administrator's user session to perform occasional administrative tasks."

What's not enough information? A program asking for more privileges is not enough information, and in one of the more simpler forms than a BB/HIPS pop-up.

Correctly using UAC will save your behind, than any BB or HIPS.

What programs prompt for UAC that you find annoying?
I don't find it useless but for me I do.
UAC is great but I will get to the point where I'm going to randomly click allow everytime it pops up without it telling me what the program is trying to do or why. I just find it annoying to me that it will pop up with legit programs to the point I have the mind where even the "infected" File is legit and will hit allow. Honestly, Its the way it works for a lot of users as I clean friends and families computers and I need to get through UAC and everything to clean the machine. I always get the answer "Well its annoying I just hit allow since I have no idea if its bad or good since it pops up for good files".
So thats my view and why I don't use it.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
3link9 said:
Webroot expired, Switching back to Trend Micro.

YES! Another person using Trend. :D

Are you using the Internet Security or the Antivirus only?

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
McLovin said:
3link9 said:
Webroot expired, Switching back to Trend Micro.

YES! Another person using Trend. :D

Are you using the Internet Security or the Antivirus only?

The Max so Internet Security + Storage, backup, etc.
Its currently running on the free license I got from a friend a few months back so its got some juice but when it runs out I'll prob get the Internet security since I usually find a sale at a local club or best buy.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are you able to compare Webroot to Trend Micro in anyway, especially since both are cloud-based?

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Earth said:
Are you able to compare Webroot to Trend Micro in anyway, especially since both are cloud-based?

I'd hate to compare the two since I believe they are both different in the way they function.
However if I would compare the two, Trend has better web blocking, Webroot is lighter, Trend has better detection, Webroot has better prevention, Trend is more user friendly, Webroot gives you more control, etc.

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I think you can use those 2 AVs without any conflict. Webroot was made to be a companion AV, right? :)

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
King Mellow said:
I think you can use those 2 AVs without any conflict. Webroot was made to be a companion AV, right? :)

Right, but I use it by its own. I would use it alongside trend but my license ran out and I don't have the money right now to pay for another one since I got some existing licenses to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.