46 million people have left Firefox since 2018

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
In brief: Firefox has long been considered one of the better alternatives to the world’s most popular browser, Chrome, particularly among Linux fans. So it’s a bit surprising to learn that Mozilla’s product has been losing quite a few users over the last three years—46 million, to be precise.

That figure comes from Firefox’s own Public Data Report and is highlighted in a Reddit thread by u/nixcraft (via itsfoss). It reveals that the browser had 244 million active monthly users at the end of 2018, but by the second quarter of 2021, user numbers had fallen to 198 million.

According to Statcounter, Firefox currently has a 3.45% share of the desktop, mobile, and tablet browser market, sitting behind second-place Safari (18.65%) and the long-time number one, Chrome (65.18%). It’s only just above Edge, which has a 3.41% share.

The rest

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Every week/month, different stats with regard to browsers come out, I think FF lost 3rd place to Edge over several times like some sort of Groundhog Day / Edge of tomorrow time loop. But apparently now it's still ahead of Edge. 🤷‍♂️

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I have used FireFox most of my life, still using it now. But it does get harder to justify using Firefox, on Windows OS, over Edge. They are getting sloppy in almost every corner of the "browser-world". I really like it and would love to keep supporting it, but... since almost everyone is switching to chromium standards as opposed to web-standards. It's only a matter of time, before there will be no other web browser engines left other than chromium.

They really should stop f- around in management and start innovating once more. Lots of these "new" features had been on the table for years, only now they suddenly became more relevant with competition breathing down their necks.

Game Of Thrones

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2014
firefox is dead for me i can argue about why it should be dead to you too. i compared browsers on my own(speed, scrolling performance, battery life, native dark mode, ad blocking capability). and i have just one advice use native browser on each platform. on ios and mac safary on windows edge and on Android Samsung internet or kiwi. i compared on each platform and believe me native ones are miles ahead from others.

misterman2100

Level 2
Verified
Dec 3, 2018
I have used FireFox most of my life, still using it now. But it does get harder to justify using Firefox, on Windows OS, over Edge. They are getting sloppy in almost every corner of the "browser-world". I really like it and would love to keep supporting it, but... since almost everyone is switching to chromium standards as opposed to web-standards. It's only a matter of time, before there will be no other web browser engines left other than chromium.

They really should stop f- around in management and start innovating once more. Lots of these "new" features had been on the table for years, only now they suddenly became more relevant with competition breathing down their necks.
Necessity is the mother of invention (or lighting a fire under your ass to do something). I have been a Firefox user my entire life, and I cannot justify jumping into the chromium camp. Hell, I even use Firefox as my primary phone browser.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
I return to Firefox, it gives me a capacity of personalization that other browsers can't give.

1628275286994.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I've just gone back to FF as my main browser. So...maybe things will change as 90+ improvements are rolled out.

I am back to Firefox too; more powerful extensions (Manifest v3 is a joke), modules rewritten in Rust, as well as the Total Cookie Protection module, there's a lot to love about this Fox in 2021.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I use Firefox and have google chrome. I use firefox mostly because google blocks some political pages I want to see. They're accessible with Firefox.

Probably because DNS over HTTPS is enabled on your Firefox browser, you can do the same with Chrome or even better you can use something like YogaDNS to have a better, safer and privacy oriented system wide DNS.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I've just gone back to FF as my main browser. So...maybe things will change as 90+ improvements are rolled out.
They keep making changes under the hood.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think that what general users want is to use it casually. I think that is a little different from the direction that ff is aiming for. It does not mean that the market share has decreased because it is inferior to others in performance.

However, I think that the change in the handling of add-ons has had an impact on users.

qua3k

Level 1
Jul 18, 2021
Manifest v3 is a joke
Manifest v3 is an important step in improving the security of extensions. For example, the declarativeNetRequest API allows content filtering without the extension being able to see or modify requests itself similar to Safari’s content blockers. Firefox supports Manifest v3 but they have stated they will not be dropping the older webRequest API.

Nightwater

Level 2
Jan 26, 2021
It's been said for a long time about it, Mozila is dead, but there's a lot of stubborn people who insisted on saying the opposite, the numbers don't lie, every day there's less user, it's falling behind everyone with Chrome engines, they paid the price of continue with a super slow engine when opening pages, the internet today is fast, everyone wants to "fly", apparently they didn't understand this, privacy is good, but nobody wants to know, most users just look for speed.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Manifest v3 is an important step in improving the security of extensions. For example, the declarativeNetRequest API allows content filtering without the extension being able to see or modify requests itself similar to Safari’s content blockers. Firefox supports Manifest v3 but they have stated they will not be dropping the older webRequest API.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.