46 million people have left Firefox since 2018

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Best piece I've read on the subject. For those who understand the implications of G's changes, or who even care about them, FF appears an ever more attractive option. For all of its faults, Brave has taken a stand against the worst parts of Manifest V3 and has said it won't incorporate them.

qua3k

Level 1
Jul 18, 2021
The article largely hinges on “extensions are still ##### even with Manifest v3 and taking away webRequest takes away power from powerful extensions such as uMatrix, NoScript, etc”.

This is a major concern. Firstly, before Manifest v3, extensions that declared the webRequest permission had permission to observe requests for all hosts. It has now changed. Developers must declare host permissions for any host they want to monitor. It means that a rogue extension can’t feasibly log my entire browsing history and send it off to a third party server. Additionally, the modification of requests has also been moved into declarativeNetRequest and will be handled by the browser instead of the extension. EFF mentions that this will cripple “powerful” extensions but fail to add that malicious extensions being granted the same permissions have a immense amounts of power over the browser which is why the shift is towards declarative APIs.

Additionally, they mention content scripts. I’m not a huge fan of content scripts either. They run in the context of pages and have direct access to the DOM. Scripted renderers weaken site isolation and Manifest v3 makes almost no changes in this area. I don’t recommend you install extensions making use of content scripts, and I look forward to seeing more declarative APIs replace this access.

The EFF is at odds with MV3/declarativeNetRequest because it restricts the powers of their trusted extensions, and that’s a good thing, because it also means that malicious extensions also don’t have that kind of power.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
EFF mentions that this will cripple “powerful” extensions but fail to add that malicious extensions being granted the same permissions have a immense amounts of power over the browser which is why the shift is towards declarative APIs.
You fail to note EFF's wish that Google actually take control of its WebStore and examine extensions, their developers and new owners of apps, which it has allowed its drive for profit and neglect their responsibility to users. If they don't want to clean up their act with WebStore they could do away with it entirely. Now there's a solution! ;) Oh wait, that would hurt their bottom line. :cool:

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I dumped Firefox ages ago due to its heavy ram usage' which has always been a negative for me.

I now use new Edge, and my download speeds over Firefox have doubled.
Recent tests have shown, FF uses less RAM compared to other browsers. I even ran the test myself and got similar results.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I'm switching a lot between Edge and Firefox in the last couple of months. I'm quite sensitive about browsing speed but I can't really notice any speed difference between the two on PC. On Android, Chromium engine-based browsers are much much faster. Firefox has superior image and video rendering on Windows so that's one attractive non-security/privacy-related feature that makes me wanna use Firefox.
I have a soft spot for Firefox so even when I'm not using Firefox as my main browser, I open it every day and visit a couple of sites at least. Hopefully, their telemetry thinks I'm an active user who's using it daily.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I'm switching a lot between Edge and Firefox in the last couple of months. I'm quite sensitive about browsing speed but I can't really notice any speed difference between the two on PC. On Android, Chromium engine-based browsers are much much faster. Firefox has superior image and video rendering on Windows so that's one attractive non-security/privacy-related feature that makes me wanna use Firefox.
I have a soft spot for Firefox so even when I'm not using Firefox as my main browser, I open it every day and visit a couple of sites at least. Hopefully, their telemetry thinks I'm an active user who's using it daily.
At one point I had 5 or more Browsers installed on my system purely for testing purposes.
After using all of them for a few months, I narrowed it down to just 2. Firefox and Edge.

I can honestly say I have never found FF to be slow at anything compared to any browser, even rendering or playing YouTube videos has been a better
experience for me with FF than Edge or chrome.

It's really weird for me to see users saying FF is slow when in real world usage it's not and not the RAM hog many users on here say it is.
Google's Chrome browser is the one that is notorious for high RAM usage, but FF seems to be singled out has the worst offender when it is
clearly not the case.

FF on Android is a different story, they need to do a lot of work there, it is noticeably slower on that platform.

Last edited:

Zeitas

Level 2
Verified
Apr 27, 2014
Became an absolute rubbish! New version is neither stable nor fast. The updater working in the background is super aggressive and eats up so much resources. The biggest problem however is that people who develop it have no vision at all what this browser should be. It used to be a simple fast browser and this was the reason why we loved it, then they started changing everything around and adding new things. It became bloated, unintuitive, slow and unstable.

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
At one point I had 5 or more Browsers installed on my system purely for testing purposes.
After uses all of them for a few months, I narrowed it down to just 2. Firefox and Edge.

I can honestly say I have never found FF to be slow at anything compared to any browser, even rendering or playing YouTube videos has been a better
experience for me with FF than Edge or chrome.

It's really weird for me to see users saying FF is slow when in real world usage it's not and not the RAM hog many users on here say it is.
Google's Chrome browser is the one that is notorious for high RAM usage, but FF seems to be singled out has the worst offender when it is
clearly not the case.

FF on Android is a different story, they need to do a lot of work there, it is noticeably slower on that platform.
I agree with you. But about the ram usage, Chromium browsers have become better specially Edge. For me, ram usage is not an issue as I have 16 GB, and most of the time my ram usage is below 40% when I'm browsing on any browser.
Weirdly I also have had fewer issues with YouTube on Firefox than in Edge/other Chromium browsers. Anyway, I even have a thread here on the foum about Chromium browsers worse image rending issue when hardware acceleration is enabled. I'm following these bugs and have not provided any update on the thread in a while because Chrome engineers have yet to come up with a solution. The video rendering issue is also there but it's less noticeable specially for users who have always used Chrome. I'll update the thread when I receive any new noteworthy updates.

qua3k

Level 1
Jul 18, 2021
You fail to note EFF's wish that Google actually take control of its WebStore and examine extensions
This is legitimately impossible to do. To manually review extensions takes days to do for human reviewers and cannot be automated. Even so, manually reviewing extensions is not a silver bullet. Humans make mistakes. Tavis shares his thoughts.

It’s entirely acknowledged that extensions are extremely powerful and curation won’t solve that problem. Site bound/declarative APIs are the way to go, so that extensions can’t exfiltrate all your session cookies on all sites, inject an mp4 of Rick Astley on every page load, or countless other things they currently have the ability to do.

Last edited:

Nagisa

Level 7
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
EFF mentions that this will cripple “powerful” extensions but fail to add that malicious extensions being granted the same permissions have a immense amounts of power over the browser which is why the shift is towards declarative APIs.
There is a third option, very easy; DON't install malicious extensions.

This attack vector would have been easily solved by informing the user about the dangers of unknown browser extensions and placing a big scary warning on extension installation pop-ups.

There is no limit how far this babysitter like attitude can go.

qua3k

Level 1
Jul 18, 2021
There is a third option, very easy; DON't install malicious extensions.
This is not helpful to anyone. Trusted extensions can turn malicious, have vulnerabilities, etc. This is the same attitude as “don’t click on random links!”. If your security isn’t somewhat idiot proof it isn’t very secure.
This attack vector would have been easily solved by informing the user about the dangers of unknown browser extensions and placing a big scary warning on extension installation pop-ups.
You do realize this already happens, right?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.