Advice Request 4th gen Ipad, what can I use it for?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
A friend want to give me his old 4th gen Ipad. My little understanding of it is that iOS 10 is obsolete, no chances of updates. Is it safe to browse the internet with it? Is it safe to send emails or enter personal details on web page?
What is safe to use it for?

Ps. Will a VPN make it safe for emails and enter personal details on webpages?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020
Browsing is pretty much the only thing you can do on ios 10, maybe YouTube. Should be relatively safe, unless I'm completely wrong. Good luck if you can get a vpn app installed, since the app store will probably complain about you using an old ios version. Might work if you download a vpn app on another ios device, and then try to download an older version on the ipad.

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Browsing is pretty much the only thing you can do on ios 10, maybe YouTube. Should be relatively safe, unless I'm completely wrong. Good luck if you can get a vpn app installed, since the app store will probably complain about you using an old ios version. Might work if you download a vpn app on another ios device, and then try to download an older version on the ipad.
Appreciate your input. And the tough about the VPN latest version not working on 4th gen Ipad did cross my mind. I'll give it a try once i get around to go to my friend place. With covid restriction in place here I am not in a rush to go out. House visit are not allowed yet.
Old iOS 10, old VPN version, not comfortable with that for sharing personal details on any webpage.

I guess good for streaming on reputed sites, browsing on reputable sites , it is probably all. Also to carry with me when I travel to watch predownloaded movie, listen to music, when in transit.

Attachments

• 52798927-5fe6-47d9-80ea-1db20e4e946f.gif
    52798927-5fe6-47d9-80ea-1db20e4e946f.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 214

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I wouldn’t recommend doing personal browsing on that old WebKit version that is easily exploitable as there are numerous public exploits that may affect your security
Anyway it can have many uses especially once you jailbreak it
But again don’t dare do anything personal and isolate it from your main network
Bye you can use AppStore++ to downgrade apps to a supported version or get some pirated and pre cracked from iPhonecake website

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.