Advice Request 64 Bit Brave Browser Fails to Update

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have been using the 64 Bit version of Brave Browser for awhile but for the last few versions, I keep encountering update error messages when I attempt to update the browser via the About section. I have to uninstall, and then reinstall the latest version manually.

Has anyone else encounter this issue? I am running Windows 10 Pro

This is getting to be a hassle, and I am thinking of just using Ungoogled Chrome and/or Firefox or the Librewolf Firefox clone.

Suggestions and/or thoughts? Thanks.

Reactions: Nevi and Sorrento

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I used to encounter this in the early days after their switch from Muon to Chromium. Hard to say in your case when you have no security configuration posted. What was the error code?

I don't think Ungoogled Chromium is a good alternative choice.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I used to get this in the early days after their switch from Muon to Chromium. Hard to say in your case when you have no security configuration posted.

I don't think Ungoogled Chromium is a good alternative choice.
The only thing I have running is F-Secure AV and Windows Firewall. Every other browser,, and other app that I have update without any issues. Btw, I download Brave directly from their website not GitHub as they mention this in their support site as the cause of update errors.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I have been using the 64 Bit version of Brave Browser for awhile but for the last few versions, I keep encountering update error messages when I attempt to update the browser via the About section. I have to uninstall, and then reinstall the latest version manually.

Has anyone else encounter this issue? I am running Windows 10 Pro

This is getting to be a hassle, and I am thinking of just using Ungoogled Chrome and/or Firefox or the Librewolf Firefox clone.

Suggestions and/or thoughts? Thanks.
Have you tried refreshing the about page when you get an update error?

I have gotten errors as well, and simply going into the about page again fixed the issue.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Have you tried refreshing the about page when you get an update error?

I have gotten errors as well, and simply going into the about page again fixed the issue.
Yep tried to refresh several times after a few minutes, and received the same error. Other features of Brave work fine.

I will try uninstalling the x64 version, and download the x86 version to see if that works.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Just did an uninstall of x64 version, and a clean install of x86 version of Brave. I am using it now, and will let you all know what happens when I try to update it when the next version is released.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I quite often (like yesterday) get a failure on update from within the browser, exiting then trying again so far has always worked.

Reactions: Nevi

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Update: Using x32 bit version of Brave, so far so good.
Did a manual update, and it updated without any issues like x64 so I will stick with it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.