App Review A Comodo Firewall Beta 2 Quick Dance

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
cruelsister

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
This just proves that the most logical has not been done and is not getting done at all. This is namely to unite the codebases of Xcitium, already regularly updated and free as OpenEDR and the Comodo home products. Which is the case with many home + business products. Comodo won’t be rosy until that’s complete.

If Comodo' bugs are "urban legend"... why Comodo' staff [sic - attached below] "is fully committed to fix everything that was listed for years"? Why Comodo will be committed to fix bugs that Fanboys/girls here at MalwareTips are constantly denying their existence? Please, don't answer, is a rhetorical question.

These posts are took from Comodo' Beta Forum, just days ago:

View attachment 279400

Official Comodo' Staff answer: see attached image.

And this is the link of bugs, posted and officially recognized by Comodo' staff in the post above (the unofficial list of bugs is even larger!):

List of current bugs

PS: Fanaticism or denial of reality... will not make Comodo a better software.
They should definitely merge codebase

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Too bad a product test thread has devolved into another Comodo bashing thread, and anyone who says anything remotely positive about it is brandished, even if indirectly, a Fanboy/Fangirl. Anyway, I took another look to verify how CS installed the beta test:

1. De-selected AV component
2. Set to Proactive
3. HIPS disabled
4. All else is at Default
5. Set to Silent Mode

This is clearly not a complicated installation approach. Also, a computer novice does not necessarily mean the person is a dummy or a half-wit, and therefore clueless about how to use the product. It just means they may have to put in a bit of time and effort to figure out some of the menu options and how to install a safe program that isn't recognized. This should not be too difficult if it is set up the way CS did for her test. I'm also not suggesting the Beta is bug-free, but so far in CS' testing she hasn't reported anything as show stopping. In my very thorough testing of the last final release, I did encounter the long-standing bug where the HIPS rules all disappeared on me. I wasn't impressed, but I quickly restored them from a backup I had made.

In short, if the final release works as advertised, it could be a very effective security solution, even for computer novices who don't mind taking the time and effort to figure it out, if set up the way CS did for the test as an alternative to the mainstream AV products or for those who don't trust the effectiveness of built-in Windows security.
Too bad the opposite side is never acknowledged and leads to this. All that was initially mentioned was that this product was in no way designed for novice/average users. Snide remarks were made about sniveling children, and urban legends denying in a cruel way if you will. Everyone instantly on guard because someone is not praising the test or comodo like its the best thing since slice bread. Once someone speaks up they are automatically bashing CIS, even though nothing untrue was spoken. Then we pull the equivalent of the racist card by stating they are calling us fanboys while still stating this product is just fine for users of all kinds. Its the same crap every time, lets not discuss it like adults but just point fingers and bash.

This is a security forum, dedicated to helping others learn. I have seen CS state its ok to use this product for average users, no its not, its a damn nightmare most of the time for average users. I have also seen young kids encouraged to play with live malware here, i mean, wth folks.

Take a look in the mirror before you throw any more towards others. I have no problems with comodo, obviously i used to beta test it back when i used windows machines. I have a problem with encouraging folks that should not be messing with these type tools. I have a problem with telling folks to play with malware, this is not a game.

Im done here, hopefully the ones that need to think upon this will.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Comodo, known for its complexity, is a formidable beast that a select few can only tame. Legends speak of just three species who possess the ability to control and harness its power... Grandmas! Kids! Experts! 😎
Too bad I can't give you several emojis on this one as I was indecisive on which to place with only one on the like bar, laughing face, applause, reputation 🤔

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Comodo, known for its complexity, is a formidable beast that a select few can only tame. Legends speak of just three species who possess the ability to control and harness its power... Grandmas! Kids! Experts! 😎
ROTFL...legends speak of...you get them all for this post ;)
lol.jpg

Kaspersky Firewall, thank you for making my online life so easy to work with and understand :)

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

The product has always been a geek security product popular among security enthusiasts.

First off, i will choose one line as well and point out that yours negates everything else you said and literally proves what i was saying. The product as i stated as i do not dislike it, is great in the right hands. The right hands does not consist of average users. Comodo is well known to be buggy, this is not just from reading on my part, i have trashed many file systems beta testing it. The settings are advanced underneath the polish it has received lately. There is an extensive manual designed just for this product.

Comparing CIS to kaspersky is a long stretch as kaspersky by far is much more stable. Is it still recommended for average users, probably not. Would i probably tell average users to find something a little less advanced than either, yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

There is no disagreement that Comodo - or just about anything more complex than the Ikarus antivirus scanner - is a challenge for any user that either does not have the knowledge or the inclination to figure such stuff out.

I guess my argument was not clear. The uninitiated average users do not follow @cruelsister and do not visit forums like MalwareTips. They don't even know Comodo exists nor will they ever care in their lifetimes.

I don't think very many average users have been recruited by @cruelsister and subsequently suffered from Comodo's bugs. In fact, I would think that most any average user chosen off the street that tried Comodo on their own without any guidance would be overwhelmed in short order and uninstall it. They will probably never try to use the product again. So not much risk that average users who don't know any better will watch a cruel video and be led down the evil path of Comodo rabbit holes and bugs.

A monkey can follow @cruelsister 's configuration video. The mistake Comodo has made, if any, is that it has not gotten rid of the HIPS dreck and streamlined the product with default settings that negate all the bugs and make them irrelevant.
Yes monkey see monkey do. Any user could follow anyone or these tool configuration methods here, it's what happens after that point that should be considered. If the users need to have someone show them how to set up a product to make it easy for them then they should not be using it without learning it first. Comodo is advanced, you need to have knowledge of it and your system to use it properly. You need to have knowledge of both if problems arise. Is cruel sis going to sit here day in and day out and help users when they run into issues with the product, no she won't, so she should not state the set up is for average users. Unless you can show me that no users "guest" reading these are average users your claims of this are just deflecting the issue. I have helped users here in the background fix systems and remove things from such suggestions after they have had issues from listening to dribble as such.

I have said my peace it's up to the users reading to move forward, be warned you do at your own expense now that someone has had the gull to stand up to all the bashing and bullying of fan favorite posts.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Figures it wouldn't work. I'm being forced to upgrade to Win 10 whether I like it or not. Might make it to 10 by the time 12 is out.
Well your not really missing out at all so far with this beta, just a different theme, TDT integration that isn't enabled by default and needs recent processor anyway. There's a handful of fixes but it feels much the same under the hood and switching the theme back to Lycia brings back the more informative UI.
CFW .8012 works fine even on Windows 11 at least in my experience. We'll see how the new version develops but glad to see some progress being made.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Well your not really missing out at all so far with this beta, just a different theme, TDT integration that isn't enabled by default and needs recent processor anyway. There's a handful of fixes but it feels much the same under the hood and switching the theme back to Lycia brings back the more informative UI.
CFW .8012 works fine even on Windows 11 at least in my experience. We'll see how the new version develops but glad to see some progress being made.
I didn't think there would be much new, other than fix a few bugs I've never experienced. I just set CF to Cruelsister specs and forget it, and I'm I suppose what you'd call an average user. All I want is for it to work with as little tinkering as possible, and CS settings does it. Just a couple of adjustments and it's good to go.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

I didn't think there would be much new, other than fix a few bugs I've never experienced. I just set CF to Cruelsister specs and forget it, and I'm I suppose what you'd call an average user. All I want is for it to work with as little tinkering as possible, and CS settings does it. Just a couple of adjustments and it's good to go.
Are all users in this forum unaware that there is a column of users called guests, those people that do not register to the forum but read and learn from here? I have to act direct now cause im tired of everyone assuming that grandma and the kids are average users and everyone else is ok to use software designed for advanced users. You have been a member here for 5 years, im sure you know how to ask here if you have a problem to get help and sort it out by now.

I locked down my account, quit talking to others in the background and will probably stop posting here as its ridiculous the amount of poking and jabbing that's allowed in these forum for fanboys of products instead of folks realizing there is more to it than just them and of course those that seem to think they are building some kind or reputation here belittling others.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Are all users in this forum unaware that there is a column of users called guests, those people that do not register to the forum but read and learn from here? I have to act direct now cause im tired of everyone assuming that grandma and the kids are average users and everyone else is ok to use software designed for advanced users. You have been a member here for 5 years, im sure you know how to ask here if you have a problem to get help and sort it out by now.

I locked down my account, quit talking to others in the background and will probably stop posting here as its ridiculous the amount of poking and jabbing that's allowed in these forum for fanboys of products instead of folks realizing there is more to it than just them and of course those that seem to think they are building some kind or reputation here belittling others.
Yes, I've been here a while, and read the forum every day, posting when I find something of interest or that maybe I can comment on - which explains my low number of posts. Reading and an occasional post does not make me an expert. I don't do software or malware testing, nor do I delve into the innards of software looking for that magical tweak that will make this antivirus or that firewall invincible to malware.

I don't write firewall rules to allow or disallow this or that because I've never done it, or cared to learn how. I just want what I install on my laptop to work with the minimal amount of fuss possible. The rest of my time is spent working on crap novels that nobody wants to read, or surfing, arguing on one of several social sites, or researching something.

So,, yes, I'm one of those average users. If I had to ask here how to do something, how is that different from grandpa or grandma having grandchild set up their computer and install some kind of security program? I note that besides Comodo, there are similar comments in various antivirus threads regarding setting the AV up for grandpa. Should gramps NOT use an av because he doesn't understand it?

I've used Comodo firewall since at least v3 or v4, and CS settings for the past few years. It has never failed to protect, nor have any of the bugs ever manifested, probably because I try to keep changes or adjustments minimal. It's the same reason I don't have sixteen different security programs installed trying to protect every minute facet of the laptop. I want the least I can get away with, along with the least amount of fuss while still maximizing the job.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Yes, I've been here a while, and read the forum every day, posting when I find something of interest or that maybe I can comment on - which explains my low number of posts. Reading and an occasional post does not make me an expert. I don't do software or malware testing, nor do I delve into the innards of software looking for that magical tweak that will make this antivirus or that firewall invincible to malware.

I don't write firewall rules to allow or disallow this or that because I've never done it, or cared to learn how. I just want what I install on my laptop to work with the minimal amount of fuss possible. The rest of my time is spent working on crap novels that nobody wants to read, or surfing, arguing on one of several social sites, or researching something.

So,, yes, I'm one of those average users. If I had to ask here how to do something, how is that different from grandpa or grandma having grandchild set up their computer and install some kind of security program? I note that besides Comodo, there are similar comments in various antivirus threads regarding setting the AV up for grandpa. Should gramps NOT use an av because he doesn't understand it?

I've used Comodo firewall since at least v3 or v4, and CS settings for the past few years. It has never failed to protect, nor have any of the bugs ever manifested, probably because I try to keep changes or adjustments minimal. It's the same reason I don't have sixteen different security programs installed trying to protect every minute facet of the laptop. I want the least I can get away with, along with the least amount of fuss while still maximizing the job.
So basically you use a browser no other applications and wonder why you see no issues like others talk about. I find it hard to believe you have used CF for that long and never encountered a bug, especially going back that many versions. You should play the lottery.

Are you willing to bet an average user can have the same luck and be ok if your wrong or does that matter. Do you know your system well enough to even realize your having issues, do you check updates to the system and apps?

This is absolutely silly that people will defend things to the max regardless of consequences of others. It really is like a little cult following.

I'm an advanced user, I use things most in the forum are not even interested in, I can look at software as simple to me, yet understand it's not for average users, why do others have difficulty in this?

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
So basically you use a browser no other applications and wonder why you see no issues like others talk about. I find it hard to believe you have used CF for that long and never encountered a bug, especially going back that many versions. You should play the lottery.

Are you willing to bet an average user can have the same luck and be ok if your wrong or does that matter. Do you know your system well enough to even realize your having issues, do you check updates to the system and apps?

This is absolutely silly that people will defend things to the max regardless of consequences of others. It really is like a little cult following.

I'm an advanced user, I use things most in the forum are not even interested in, I can look at software as simple to me, yet understand it's not for average users, why do others have difficulty in this?
I use Firefox browser, WPS Office, Atlantis Word Processor, HiBit uninstaller, Aomei backupper and just a couple of other things on occasion. I have VirtualBox where now and then I'll play with a Linux OS, if one sounds interesting.

I don't wonder why I have no issues. I've never given it a thought. I'm the grandpa (literally) you're talking about. And you'l just have to take my word that I have had Comodo on one of a few desktops and laptops through the years.

I'm wiling to bet an "average" user can have the same luck IF they pay attention to alerts, or if they don't get click happy. As for my system, I don't check updates. Windows handles them. In that respect, not being fully trustworthy I also keep a current backup never more than a week old. I'd suggest that puts me a millimeter above average but no higher.

You are an advanced user. I have no doubts. But, like many who have gone above and beyond, I'd suggest you've forgotten that the average guy just uses what comes with the computer, or what Microsoft Store offers. They don't stress a software or try to do anything other than surf or write emails, or chat on social media. The average user only wants their machine to work, and doesn't care what makes it work or.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
...... It's the same reason I don't have sixteen different security programs installed trying to protect every minute facet of the laptop. I want the least I can get away with, along with the least amount of fuss while still maximizing the job.

Amen to that one :) Too many other apps that can possibly cause conflicts and even hinder an AV's ability to do its job properly. I don't mind running a second opinion scan once in a while though, just to be sure. It's been working for me all these years in doing it that way.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

,.... I'd suggest you've forgotten that the average guy just uses what comes with the computer, or what Microsoft Store offers. They don't stress a software or try to do anything other than surf or write emails, or chat on social media. The average user only wants their machine to work, and doesn't care what makes it work...
Fully agree, so when some computer savvy family member installs advanced security software, the changes of running into problems due to false positives is very low.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

I use Firefox browser, WPS Office, Atlantis Word Processor, HiBit uninstaller, Aomei backupper and just a couple of other things on occasion. I have VirtualBox where now and then I'll play with a Linux OS, if one sounds interesting.

I don't wonder why I have no issues. I've never given it a thought. I'm the grandpa (literally) you're talking about. And you'l just have to take my word that I have had Comodo on one of a few desktops and laptops through the years.

I'm wiling to bet an "average" user can have the same luck IF they pay attention to alerts, or if they don't get click happy. As for my system, I don't check updates. Windows handles them. In that respect, not being fully trustworthy I also keep a current backup never more than a week old. I'd suggest that puts me a millimeter above average but no higher.

You are an advanced user. I have no doubts. But, like many who have gone above and beyond, I'd suggest you've forgotten that the average guy just uses what comes with the computer, or what Microsoft Store offers. They don't stress a software or try to do anything other than surf or write emails, or chat on social media. The average user only wants their machine to work, and doesn't care what makes it work or.
If you are able to run those applications you are not an average user. You are also not looking at what i posted earlier about the users vs guest. At any given time there are 50 to 70 actual members signed in and over 800 guests lurking. Do you speak for all those average users. How are you the only member in this forum that has never encountered a comodo bug? I could go on, but its pointless, as everyone will look in the mirror, and say, oh hes talking about me, he is wrong.

Comodo is not install and forget, you had to follow someone else's instructions, meaning you could not configure it yourself, if it flaked out on a system file, i doubt you would know what to do about it even being as far involved with systems as you are, the same if a legit application had aspects of it blocked or worse yet corrupted, would you know what to do, probably not. This is advanced territory, meaning this application was designed for advanced users period. Just because you can slap it on your system under someone else's rules, does not mean you understand it or would know what to do if something happened. Matter of fact the same could be said of many tools in security, that is why most are configured right out of the box with default settings based on usability and protection. Comodo for most users needs someone to "SHOW" you how to set it up. Hence advanced application.

Im not going to sit here and explain this to each and every member that takes offense to this, its simple folks, it is not designed for average users period. It is not main stream for a reason.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.