App Review A Comodo Firewall Beta 2 Quick Dance

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
cruelsister

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I'm resisting the temptation. I've read on their forum that you can install directly over 8012, and others say you can't. Does the installation retain your settings?
Best Practice is to wait for the official release (mainly to avoid going to the trouble of the below for each Beta build). Once that is available:
1). The only settings from the previous build one must be cognizant of would be those of the Firewall (knowing which of your current applications that you don't want to call home for updates or whatever).
1b). As the HIPS is not suggested to be used, one can forget all of those rules.
2). Uninstall 8012
3). Install the officially released version, setting it up in the suggested way with the only addition of using the Lycia Theme (as noted above by ErzCrz).
4). Reboot and open up the applications that you've previously noted for the Firewall Rule changes one by one and apply them.
5). Easy, Easy...

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Best Practice is to wait for the official release (mainly to avoid going to the trouble of the below for each Beta build). Once that is available:
1). The only settings from the previous build one must be cognizant of would be those of the Firewall (knowing which of your current applications that you don't want to call home for updates or whatever).
1b). As the HIPS is not suggested to be used, one can forget all of those rules.
2). Uninstall 8012
3). Install the officially released version, setting it up in the suggested way with the only addition of using the Lycia Theme (as noted above by ErzCrz).
4). Reboot and open up the applications that you've previously noted for the Firewall Rule changes one by one and apply them.
5). Easy, Easy...
I'll wait. The last version, 8012, is still more than adequate.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I'm resisting the temptation. I've read on their forum that you can install directly over 8012, and others say you can't. Does the installation retain your settings?
hmmm, since cruelsister did not mention anything, I assumed over 8012 was ok. It seemed ok but I will have to go back and look, later... I closed that VM to run another, checking a different software... (I stay smarter or dumber depending on who you ask by not reading comodo forum :rolleyes:)

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hi @Ultimate Vision

Please, allow me to share with you my point of view regarding Comodo:

1. Comodo always was a mediocre product, so its market-share always was negligible.

2. One day, an "anonymous character" played with containment and some settings, and presented it as the "ultimate security solution", "no additional software needed", "unbeatable"... blah blah blah.
By the way, that anonymous character presented him/herself as an "expert", he/she made videos with nice music, he/she always was very polite and a tolerant person... and basically that's it, everyone liked that anonymous person, and without understanding technical information or independent tests, everybody simply "trusted" that anonymous character.
That's the word: TRUST.
I never saw anyone here at MalwareTips questioning whether the anonymous character was a fake expert, or a Comodo payed influencer, or if his/her videos were fake, or if Comodo' settings were wrong, or if etc, etc, etc.
Participants at MalwareTips simply TRUSTED that anonymous character and his/her videos + posts.
And thus... a myth was born!
And as you know, trust + myths = fanatics.

3. The "Myth Of Comodo" and its "Magical Containment Settings" grew and grew.
However, the average user remained uninterested in Comodo, so Comodo' market-share always remained negligible... in real life the Magical Containment Settings never saved Comodo from its mediocrity.
In this context, Comodo' Magical Containment Settings were used only by a small group of fanatics.

4. About 3 years ago, problems started. Comodo became an abandonware, full of old bugs, not even compatible with Windows 11.

5. The current so-called new Beta is simply the old Comodo, same old bugs, but with a "lifted face", purely cosmetic.

6. On these days the myth of Comodo' Magical Containment Settings is maintained by the same anonymous character as always, and by a very small group of fanatics.
Their Mantra is: "I never experienced bugs, it always worked for me." But like every religion, Comodo' fanatics have their "holy Jihad", therefore they have the compulsion to impose their fanatical beliefs on us (the "infidels"). That's why Comodo' fanatics have a second mantra: "If it works for me, then it works for everyone."

For many years I was a Comodo' user and I liked it (despite being aware of its problems). Therefore, I personally have nothing against Comodo.
I also don't care about fanatics in general, I don't fight them, I just run away from fanatics, I want to stay away from any kind of fanaticism.
But always I was worried that average users would read incorrect things from Comodo fanatics. So I decided to participate at Comodo' posts, alerting average users about the danger of fanatical Comodo' mantras.
However, over time it became clear to me that almost no one is interested in Comodo, or in its Magical Containment Settings, nor is anyone interested in what Comodo' fanatics say.
Comodo and its fanatics are dinosaurs on the way to extinction.

I decided to participate in this post because of you, I saw myself reflected in your comments, I identified myself with your messages, I know that you are a participant with useful content to share, and I'm sure that you have many good things to share with many other participants here at MalwareTips. So, yeah, please forget about Comodo, forget about the fanatics, don't waste your time on them, but please continue to share with us your interesting thoughts and information related to any other security topic other than Comodo.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
2). Uninstall 8012
5). Easy, Easy...
yikes o_O I skipped step 2. But it's on its own VM for beta testing, so maybe I'll leave 8104 as is until it becomes obvious it is broken or until the next version or I have nothing else to do around midnight. Running different VM right now...

Reactions: Dave Russo

vaccineboy

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
Comodo has been tested by others too, such as Shadowra, not just CruelSister.
You don't have to like a product, but you don't have to attack everyone liking that product either. By doing so, you're just another fanatic of different view.
Sometimes, I just don't understand why people are so riled up like this..

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Comodo has been tested by others too, such as Shadowra, not just CruelSister.
You don't have to like a product, but you don't have to attack everyone liking that product either. By doing so, you're just another fanatic of different view.
Sometimes, I just don't understand why people are so riled up like this..
It was never about attacking users or the product, it was simply stating the product is not for average users, meant for advanced, everyone else did the continuing, it's not one sided unless you look at that. The message was simple, quit telling people its not buggy or simple to use, this is misleading as a polite way to say it. There are plenty of posts before these explaining that between the posts of people taking offense, trolling or being down right rude.

As suggested above though, I'm getting tired of defending my right to have an opinion too, and this subject is done for me.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It was never about attacking users or the product, it was simply stating the product is not for average users, meant for advanced, everyone else did the continuing, it's not one sided unless you look at that. The message was simple, quit telling people its not buggy or simple to use, this is misleading as a polite way to say it. There are plenty of posts before these explaining that between the posts of people taking offense, trolling or being down right rude.

As suggested above though, I'm getting tired of defending my right to have an opinion too, and this subject is done for me.
I respect your opinion but you are not ranting, appreciate that. You were clear, in your opinion CF is for more advanced users, ok. Some average folks use it anyway. Whether it is buggy, or how buggy, remains to be seen by folks who use it &/or test it. Thanks again to @cruelsister & @Shadowra

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
You have a perfect right to have an opinion, and I'll defend to the death your right to have it.

i have an opposite opinion. Just as you have a right to yours, I have a right to mine. No one, at least not me, is trying to force my opinion on anyone else. You don't like Comodo. I understand that you and others don't care for the product.

I like Comodo. It works for me. I'm content to continue using it, and happy that you've found something you prefer.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I am horrified and deeply disappointed to read some of the comments on this topic.
I didn't want to intervene because clearly : Discussions on Comodo often turn into debates or clashes (and honestly, I'm way past the age of schoolyard wars, especially since it's my birthday today ^^ ) but I won't tolerate gratuitously attacking someone.

Yes, there is freedom of expression, but it has to be respectful.
Even if I have my own opinion about Comodo (and I won't install it), I respect @cruelsister work, which has often helped me (or helped me more).

So enjoy being offered content because on other forums, we wouldn't even be present :)

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Hi @Ultimate Vision

Please, allow me to share with you my point of view regarding Comodo:

1. Comodo always was a mediocre product, so its market-share always was negligible.

2. One day, an "anonymous character" played with containment and some settings, and presented it as the "ultimate security solution", "no additional software needed", "unbeatable"... blah blah blah.
By the way, that anonymous character presented him/herself as an "expert", he/she made videos with nice music, he/she always was very polite and a tolerant person... and basically that's it, everyone liked that anonymous person, and without understanding technical information or independent tests, everybody simply "trusted" that anonymous character.
That's the word: TRUST.
I never saw anyone here at MalwareTips questioning whether the anonymous character was a fake expert, or a Comodo payed influencer, or if his/her videos were fake, or if Comodo' settings were wrong, or if etc, etc, etc.
Participants at MalwareTips simply TRUSTED that anonymous character and his/her videos + posts.
And thus... a myth was born!
And as you know, trust + myths = fanatics.

3. The "Myth Of Comodo" and its "Magical Containment Settings" grew and grew.
However, the average user remained uninterested in Comodo, so Comodo' market-share always remained negligible... in real life the Magical Containment Settings never saved Comodo from its mediocrity.
In this context, Comodo' Magical Containment Settings were used only by a small group of fanatics.

4. About 3 years ago, problems started. Comodo became an abandonware, full of old bugs, not even compatible with Windows 11.

5. The current so-called new Beta is simply the old Comodo, same old bugs, but with a "lifted face", purely cosmetic.

6. On these days the myth of Comodo' Magical Containment Settings is maintained by the same anonymous character as always, and by a very small group of fanatics.
Their Mantra is: "I never experienced bugs, it always worked for me." But like every religion, Comodo' fanatics have their "holy Jihad", therefore they have the compulsion to impose their fanatical beliefs on us (the "infidels"). That's why Comodo' fanatics have a second mantra: "If it works for me, then it works for everyone."

For many years I was a Comodo' user and I liked it (despite being aware of its problems). Therefore, I personally have nothing against Comodo.
I also don't care about fanatics in general, I don't fight them, I just run away from fanatics, I want to stay away from any kind of fanaticism.
But always I was worried that average users would read incorrect things from Comodo fanatics. So I decided to participate at Comodo' posts, alerting average users about the danger of fanatical Comodo' mantras.
However, over time it became clear to me that almost no one is interested in Comodo, or in its Magical Containment Settings, nor is anyone interested in what Comodo' fanatics say.
Comodo and its fanatics are dinosaurs on the way to extinction.

I decided to participate in this post because of you, I saw myself reflected in your comments, I identified myself with your messages, I know that you are a participant with useful content to share, and I'm sure that you have many good things to share with many other participants here at MalwareTips. So, yeah, please forget about Comodo, forget about the fanatics, don't waste your time on them, but please continue to share with us your interesting thoughts and information related to any other security topic other than Comodo.
Wow reads like a plot of John Grisham, Tom Clancy or Dan Brown (y)

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I am horrified and deeply disappointed to read some of the comments on this topic.
I didn't want to intervene because clearly : Discussions on Comodo often turn into debates or clashes (and honestly, I'm way past the age of schoolyard wars, especially since it's my birthday today ^^ ) but I won't tolerate gratuitously attacking someone.

Even if I have my own opinion about Comodo (and I won't install it), I respect @cruelsister work, which has often helped me (or helped me more).

So enjoy being offered content because on other forums, we wouldn't even be present :)
happy birthday

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018

Happy Birthday.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

First a Happy Birthday,

I was being respectful in every way, i made sure to mention no offense to anyone or im not bashing a product, i just wanted users to look at how their influence effects other users. I had several coming at me at once, which gang style behavior speaks for itself, and even one that seems to think i need his permission to speak openly if he does not understand why i am doing it. This was beyond ridiculous trying to prove a point for sure. You don't have to tell me about creating content and taking time to do so here, i have done my share in the past. Snide remarks from others because they do not like an opinion is a disappointment as well. Especially when i see those same users encouraging other users to do really dumb things.

You for example, you test malware often, are you on your parents network doing this? Are you positive you have never infected your router or worse, have you turned a infection loose elsewhere in your testings say through your ISP? Im willing to bet you can not honestly answer that, because you do not know, other than no one has knocked at your door yet with cuffs.

I said something about cruelsis because she states in the video anyone can use this, its not true. She also stated as long as there is a vm the user is safe to play with malware, just like a few others have, thats not true either. There are so many variables and this is not a game, its dangerous, and it does not just effect you but others around you so i spoke up.

This should be a home away from home for users, their actions on here should reflect the forum and do, what kind of message you think a security forum is sending out doing the crud its doing here. Encouraging kids to play with malware, telling average users to use products that have literally smashed machines in the past, arguing with the one user who is trying to point out how this is effecting and reflecting instead of just looking at whats presented, and was done in a very respectful manor at first. Every time that user goes to walk out of the thread, someone else has to make a poke, and act like thats ok.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
Oh its ok, let the users keep bashing, it takes many to gang up on one user just trying to help average users learn and be safe.

Not long ago in another thread the same cruel sister was chatting with a young man about testing malware, she encouraged it after being told the young man was only 15. Even with others stating VM's are not bullet proof she continued to encourage it. Well that user ended up posting in malware help section with an infection, on his parents network, a 15 year old, encouraged by the very same behavior here.

I helped that user repair files on his system, i turn around and see him asking for help to get back into testing again.

It simple, what we suggest and do here effects others, its seriously a responsibility and not a joke. I dont care what your motivations or narrative is, if it effects others in a negative way, im going to speak up. Yes i was going to stop doing this, until i realized a handful of users are truing hard to push some sort of narrative on others, and i cant sit back and watch that. It does not reflect well on this community or forum. I have known some of these users here for many years.

Cruelsis pushed on this, and used to work for fireeyes, she of all users knows better. So yes, i spoke up. There is literally nothing left to say now, other than be careful who you are influencing.
At the current moment, I am asking for someone to examine the network in the malware removal channel. I appreciate the concern against me and infecting the network, and I am going to stop dealing with malware entirely until I get more knowledge and understand how everything works and how to prevent any problems.
Now, if someone takes a look at it and says im in the clear, am a 100% in the clear?

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Hi Guys! In case this thread is verlderated, just wanted to note a few things:

1). One of the reasons the video was made was the opportunity to play a very pretty song that reminded me of my first voice lessons which was concurrent to my initial attempts to walk (well) in Heels.
2). Although some posts were enthusiastic, I found none that could be viewed as in any way nasty, so no offense could (or should) be taken.
3), As to the ability of any viewers of either MalwareTips (or the pathetic few for my videos) to follow such discussions are concerned, one must understand that they are in no below average in Security knowledge, as even the Newest of the Newbie is elevated above the Masses by their quest for understanding.
4). And just to be clear, I am a Her and have at Familiar named Ophelia (on my lap now actually).
5). Finally, a person just making an initial foray into the Wonderful World of Malware should never (never, ever) be dissuaded by telling them it is much too dangerous to attempt, as this only inhibits the quest for knowledge.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.