A Couple of Norton Reviews

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
I bought an NSD 5 device subscription 4 days back and faced the activation issue. No idea why it occurred. Luckily after a few retries, the setup stub was able to contact their server and activate the program. As a long time Norton AV subscriber I've not faced this issue before.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Installed OK on 3 PC's - The interesting thing about this PC where I've installed it a couple of times is IE doesn't even exist on this PC, I killed removed most of it due to security advise, one can only wonder :)

Reactions: BigWrench

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Norton Antivirus and VoodooShield sounds like a winning combo. Perhaps someone more experienced can chime in as well.

I'm running Norton and Voodoo on one machine... and it is totally smooth.

I'm running Norton and Cylance on a machine. Actually smoother..

I'm running Norton with MBAM Pro and OSArmor on a third.

A long ago I played around with Norton and NVT ERP.... and they do work together. I abandoned NVT ERP (which is a really good program) as it was a little more work than I wanted to do at that time.

With the exception of a few update hiccups (start, restart...) ---- I find Norton to be overall very smooth, gets along well with others, and overall pretty unobtrusive. I've tried many AVs... I like Crowdstrike Falcon, Cylance (with something), Bitdefender (not quite as smooth as others), and Norton best. I'm not sure why, but I've always sorta liked G-Data too.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Norton (if you can install it and register it) is fun, and effective. Cylance and Norton is interesting. I guess Cylance would act as an ATP/ZD type of solution.

What I find good about Cylance is it can detect things before anything else. For example Borderlands was installed, and Cylance found a PUP buried in the installation package as a DLL and removed it. But what is more interesting and reinforces the fact it probably is a PUP is that Borderlands runs perfectly after it's removal. Recently Bleachbit sneaked in a suspect Python File. Cylance grabbed and removed it as a 'backdoor'. Bleachbit still works perfectly fine. Cylance checks everything.. Even Windows files and updates themselves. Nothing is left to chance.

So Norton which really sucks in that area, is probably boosted quite nicely with Cylance and very very smooth.

rsonic

Level 2
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
Norton (if you can install it and register it) is fun, and effective. Cylance and Norton is interesting. I guess Cylance would act as an ATP/ZD type of solution.

What I find good about Cylance is it can detect things before anything else. For example Borderlands was installed, and Cylance found a PUP buried in the installation package as a DLL and removed it. But what is more interesting and reinforces the fact it probably is a PUP is that Borderlands runs perfectly after it's removal. Recently Bleachbit sneaked in a suspect Python File. Cylance grabbed and removed it as a 'backdoor'. Bleachbit still works perfectly fine. Cylance checks everything.. Even Windows files and updates themselves. Nothing is left to chance.

So Norton which really sucks in that area, is probably boosted quite nicely with Cylance and very very smooth.

It does send the executables for some games to the quarantine, though, in a similar way to corporate AVs; I installed Sophos not-home just for the heck of it and it brought havoc to the poor Steam folder.

Also funny that Cylance does seem to have a mind of it's own, sometimes stuff just vanishes from the quarantine.

Were you able to ascertain what were the files?

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
I noticed trying to activate norton gives an error for browser ,cannot connect.
I did however install ie11 and was able to activate , other browsers did not work ,are there any browsers made like ie11 without installing ie11?

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 58943
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I noticed trying to activate norton gives an error for browser ,cannot connect.
I did however install ie11 and was able to activate , other browsers did not work ,are there any browsers made like ie11 without installing ie11?

Welcome to the club... This error is rarely recoverable from. It's spawned a cottage industry of fake support sites to fake you into thinking they can fix the error. Norton themselves can't seem to fix it. If you try to get support involved plan on 3-4 hours of them screwing up your computer and eventually it might work but they themselves don't know what they did to fix it.

This error is only on the consumer version, so the logical path toward resolution of it - you'd think - would be to mirror or extrapolate the enterprise activation system down to the consumer version. But no... Norton continues year after year giving this error, it's the top researched complaint from Norton.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.