Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
No me neither, company is from the UK. How many times have the UK said they would leave the EU and they still are a member, so that proofs they can't be trusted. On the other hand SmartAdblock works great with trace in Edge-chromium so what to do?

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
No me neither, company is from the UK. How many times have the UK said they would leave the EU and they still are a member, so that proofs they can't be trusted. On the other hand SmartAdblock works great with trace in Edge-chromium so what to do?

View attachment 213095
You don't trust a company because of politics in the country they are based in, which would have no effect on the company? Best thing I've heard all day. Better remove every piece of technology in my house!

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
You don't trust a company because of politics in the country they are based in, which would have no effect on the company? Best thing I've heard all day. Better remove every piece of technology in my house!
Well tell that to Trump and ask him how he thinks about Huawei or all the members who don't trust Russian or Chinese antivirus.

It was a tongue-in-cheek reaction to SumTingWong's post. He must be having a hard time in Florida with that name which sounds like SomeThingWrong, imagine this chap with Asian Sounding name ordering a hamburger in the McDrive :giggle:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Explanation on View attachment 213095

Nice artikel about browser compartimization (thanks to @HarborFront). This can also be implemented using two USER PROFILES.

This is how I have setup Edge-chromium (also ditched Chrome for online banking, booking and buying stuff now).

BROWSER SETTINGInternet searching, surfing & socializingOnline banking, booking & buying
PROFILESURFINGBUYING
- Sync OFF- Sync OFF
- Paswords ON (No finanical risk for SS&S, so ON)- Paswords OFF (I am using memory for BB&B login)
- Payment info OFF- Payment info OFF
- Adresses and more OFF- Adresses and more OFF
APPEARANCEHome button = Startpage.comHome button = DuckDuckGo
Show favorites barShow favorites bar
ON STARTUPNew Tab Page (using extension Blank New Tab)New Tab Page (using extension Blank New Tab)
PRIVACY & SERVICESSend DO NOT TRACKSend DO NOT TRACK
Allow sites to check if you have payment saved: OFFAllow sites to check if you have payment saved: OFF
Send data about how you use browser: OFFSend data about how you use browser: OFF
Send data about sites you visit to Microsoft: OFFSend data about sites you visit to Microsoft: OFF
Use a webservice to help resolve navigation errors: OFFUse a webservice to help resolve navigation errors: OFF
Microsoft Defender SmartScreen: ONMicrosoft Defender SmartScreen: ON
Address bar: show search & site suggestions: OFFAddress bar: show search & site suggestions: OFF
Address bar: Search Engine used : StartpageAddress bar: Search Engine used : DuckDuckGo
SITE PERMISSIONSCookies: Block third-party cookiesCookies: Keep local data only until you quit browser
Javascript: BlockedJavascript: Blocked
- Allow: [*.]com- Allow: https//*
- Allow: [*.]infUnsandboxed plugin access: BLOCK
- Allow: [*.]netAll other site permissions on DEFAULT
- Allow: [*.]org
- Allow: [*.]NL
- Allow: [*.]BE
- Allow: [*.]ZA
- Allow: [*.]UK
- Allow: [*.]US
- Allow: [*.]CAN
- Allow [*.]AU
- Allow: [*.]NZ
All other site permissions on BLOCK
DOWNLOADAsk where to save each file before downloading: OFFAsk where to save each file before downloading: ON
LANGUAGESEnglish (United States)Dutch
EnglishEnglish (United States)
SYSTEMContinue running background when Edge is closed: OFFContinue running background when Edge is closed: ON
Use hardware acceleration: ONUse hardware acceleration: ON

INSTALLED EXTENSIONSInternet searching, surfing & socializingOnline banking, booking & buying
Blank New Tab PageBlank New Tab Page
Auto History Wipe (don’t Wipe passwords!)Auto History Wipe (All)
SmartAdBlock (with DisConnect Malvertising)Emsisoft Browser Security
Trace (no webrequest blocking = job of SmartAdblock)

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I found if I enable Adblock Warning Removal and EasyPrivacy, I get the anti-adblock blocker coverage I used to have. I disabled Fanboy Cookie because it breaks scrolling on MANY sites even Google Account Settings!
RAM usage in this configuration is slightly higher but still FAR LOWER than using uBlock Origin/Nano Adblocker in conjunction with Nano Defender. Performance to me is slightly faster for SmartAdBlock.
At this point it just needs to catch up with cosmetic filtering on some sites.

Edit: I was wrong. The main culprit is the SmartAdBlock filter list. By disabling it I was able to remove all of the issues I had in previous posts. The list comes with a few benefits especially cosmetic but it definitely needs more work because it is too aggressive.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 21.08.32.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 21.08.32.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@DeepWeb

I have zero adblock prompts with this (light) setup. Interested to known whether these settings throw adblock prompts on the websites you visit. Could you post the websites you have problems wih (or copy my setup and try for yourself)?

I use Smartadblock with just their SmartAdblockFilters (other defaults disabled) and only the malvertising blocklist of Disconnect (link hXXps://s3.amazonaws.com/lists.disconnect.me/simple_malvertising.txt) as custom filter.

I also added blockrules for Startpage.com to filter out ads on startpage results page:
||adservice.startpage.com
||startpage.com/js/abp.js^$script
||startpage.com/gp/wg/afs/ads^$subdocument
||startpage.com/adsense/search/async-ads.js^$script

Regards Kees

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I use Smartadblock with just their SmartAdblockFilters (other defaults disabled) and only the malvertising blocklist of Disconnect (link hXXps://s3.amazonaws.com/lists.disconnect.me/simple_malvertising.txt) as custom filter.
Tried this and liked, except i have ads on videos on certain news sites...any idea wich filter should i have added since ublock origin with default settings will block those

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@Moonhorse

uBlock uses redirect to deal with it, SmartAdblock does not has that feature (only uBlock and AdGuard to my knowledge), I tried to figure out a workaround, but have not installed SamrtAdBlock (am now in the train with my Asus Transformer). Tried it with uBlock (which I use on my weak 2-in-1 Asus) and it seems to block adds on MTV.fi. Could you add these rules as custom block rules (just copy and paste)?

||damoh.katsomo.fi/*$media,domain=mtv.fi
||damoh.katsomo.fi/*$image,domain=mtv.fi
||cloudfront.net/creatives/assets/$image,domain=mtv.fi
mtv.fi##.mtv-player-ad-container

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
@Moonhorse

uBlock uses redirect to deal with it, SmartAdblock does not has that feature (only uBlock and AdGuard to my knowledge), I tried to figure out a workaround, but have not installed SamrtAdBlock (am now in the train with my Asus Transformer). Tried it with uBlock (which I use on my weak 2-in-1 Asus) and it seems to block adds on MTV.fi. Could you add these rules as custom block rules (just copy and paste)?

||damoh.katsomo.fi/*$media,domain=mtv.fi
||damoh.katsomo.fi/*$image,domain=mtv.fi
||cloudfront.net/creatives/assets/$image,domain=mtv.fi
mtv.fi##.mtv-player-ad-container
Did try that, didnt work thought. Well im using nano mainly, but it would be nice to have alternatives like smart

Thanks thought

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Update. My final configuration.
I disabled EasyList and instead added Adguard Base Filter as a custom filter list.
But websites like 9to5Google I still can't scroll.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-03 at 15.55.47.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-03 at 15.55.47.png
    158.6 KB · Views: 515

smartadblock

From SmartAdBlock
Verified
Developer
Jan 17, 2019
Update. My final configuration.
I disabled EasyList and instead added Adguard Base Filter as a custom filter list.
But websites like 9to5Google I still can't scroll.
9to5google should be fixed now, we are looking at mtv.fi. We will add adguard filter to the list in 1.1.4. Please let us know if you see other ads or bugs.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@smartadblock

I noticed on Youtube the pop-up to skip a bumper advertisement in a video is also surpressed by adblocker. So instead of maximum of six seconds looking at an advertisement in Youtube, I am now forced to view the whole ad.

Regards Kees

Reactions: oldschool

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Hi Kees
Do you get ads in youtube? can you link to an example? thanks
I don't know anymore, but I used I did not use easylist (replaced by Malvertising of Disconnect). Normally I only use your filter from the defaults, but the ' in video skip pop-up'' disappeared rafter I also decided to use fanboy's cookie block list. After disabling cookie-prompt blocklist the problem disappeared (only using your blocklist + malvertsing).

smartadblock

From SmartAdBlock
Verified
Developer
Jan 17, 2019
I don't know anymore, but I used I did not use easylist (replaced by Malvertising of Disconnect). Normally I only use your filter from the defaults, but the ' in video skip pop-up'' disappeared rafter I also decided to use fanboy's cookie block list. After disabling cookie-prompt blocklist the problem disappeared (only using your blocklist + malvertsing).
Hey guys the V1.1.4 is now out with the suggested improvements! the filter management uses storage now for an instantaneous ready state when loading the browser. Filter updates are now processed seamlessly in the background. Restoring from storage has improved the memory footprint (11.9 idle). We have added the filters Wstech200 Disconnectmalware and adguard (we have mirrored wstech and disconnectmalware on github with a better filter syntax - ^$thirdparty). Corrected the finnish translation thanks to Joni. Thanks again for the contributions, please keep sending feedback.

Stay tuned we have great ideas for the v1.1.5, using tree selection to decrease the number of comparisons and decrease the average time before blocking a request and also some CSS new rules to deal with complicated websites like wp.pl.

And again communication/press/publication ideas are more than welcome (almost 7000 users already !!)

P.S. the 1.1.4 was ready 10 days ago it just stayed 10 days in the chrome moderation queue

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.