New Update A first look at SmartAdblock for Firefox and Chrome

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I was wondering what happened to 1.1.4. Very good update. I hope you guys keep it up. It's not just the lower RAM usage that I love, it's also the massively lower CPU usage and faster pageload. When I am playing a YouTube video in the background with uBlock/Nano Adblocker the sound will stutter. This is just not happening with this extension. Everything is loading fast and smooth. I'm looking forward to 1.1.5 and hopefully Chrome Web Store won't give you as much trouble.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
P.S. the 1.1.4 was ready 10 days ago it just stayed 10 days in the chrome moderation queue

I've just downloaded to take for a test drive paired with Decentraleyes & Privacy Possum. So far I see no efficiency gain vs uBlock Origin using dynamic filtering, and uBO may have a slight edge (I'm testing on Edge Dev Chromium.) I suggest providing more info about what is blocked in your GUI, which might attract advanced users.

The simple, non-interactive nature of this extension will appeal to many potential users, especially those who would never use dynamic filtering. You definitely have something good here and I presume it will only get better. Your prompt user support and speedy development are also big pluses! (y)

From my experience searching for your app (without the provided link above) on the Chrome Web Store, I gather Google doesn't make promoting your app easy.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Thanks for keeping up with us, checking new update later today

Im mainly using smartadblock on my mobile browser, since its lighter than nano

ps. could you add finnishlist to language lists ; finnish-easylist-addition/finnish-easylist-addition
Aswell small, but effective list : https://gitlab.com/curben/urlhaus-filter/raw/master/urlhaus-filter.txt

edit 2: after running smart for a while, i have ditched ublock origin. Its just perfect with such agressive pop-up blocking and not breaking any sites with such agressive lists( 1hosts)

Currently i run it with many filters, but probably reducing to smaller blocklists after testing it like this for while

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Ok i have been testing smart, and i must admit its doing very well imo

1. i have disabled traces Web Request Controller , so smartadblock is only blocker in work

I have never heard of WS tech 200, but it seems doing good work,
i have added adversity, urhauls and squid ad filter, since there all small lists

3. probably should run cpu tests, but ram footprint is for sure less than ublock has , ps props for blocksi being lightest malware/phishing filter

Ps. easylist is always detected on browserleaks, so i tried to find alternative for it....and WSTech 200 did replace that:unsure:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Moonhorse said:
I have never heard of WS tech 200, but it seems doing good work

:) It is my personal blocklist of top200 ads&trackers based on W3tech website info (see post in this thread) which smartadblock offered to incorporate (y) it is a remarkeable example how they listen to users :emoji_clap:

Smartadblock said:
But you know what, how about you send us your list (admin@smartadblock.co.uk) and we will add it in the radio button menu with the label of your choice in the 1.1.4 !

Even the extreme minimalist version of SmartaAdblock extension is effective, see picture below

Okay I added one custom rule block third-party of insecure HTTP websites (except CSS stylesheets)

Last edited:

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I tried SmartAdblock with these filters: smart adblock filters, fanboy cookie, wstech 200, Disconnect and 1hosts.
On Android Central
I always got the message...it looks like you're using an adblocker...
Add a filter? I use Chrome.

Attachments

• 2019-05-16_13h36_18.jpg
    2019-05-16_13h36_18.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I tried SmartAdblock with these filters: smart adblock filters, fanboy cookie, wstech 200, Disconnect and 1hosts.
On Android Central
I always got the message...it looks like you're using an adblocker...
Add a filter? I use Chrome.
you may add this filter to solve issue

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I've stopped using SmartAdblock and went back to Adguard: I couldn't see my photos in Google Photos. When I excluded Google Photos in SmartAdblock, I could see my pictures but could not run my videos.

smartadblock

From SmartAdBlock
Verified
Developer
Jan 17, 2019
I've stopped using SmartAdblock and went back to Adguard: I couldn't see my photos in Google Photos. When I excluded Google Photos in SmartAdblock, I could see my pictures but could not run my videos.
Hi Back
We are a bit surprised, we tested google photos and the photos and videos are showing properly. Would you mind posting a screenshot? were you running other extensions at the same time? Did you add custom filter?
Thanks and sorry to hear that

android central should be fixed now

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I put it back with only the default filters and everything seems right. On my first draft, I had addedd those 3 filters: WS Tech200, Disconnect and 1 hosts and had removed Easylist. No issues with Google or Android Central website with the default filters.

What I should had done: start with the default filters. Then try to make only one change and see what happens. Next time,I will be wiser....I hope...
Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Zemana antimalware free 3 detects SmartAdblock as malware and wants to delete it.

Attachments

• 2019-05-23_09h35_26.jpg
    2019-05-23_09h35_26.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:

smartadblock

From SmartAdBlock
Verified
Developer
Jan 17, 2019

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Hi nightwalker
Works here on our side. are you running other extensions at the same time? custom filters? please try to reload the extension, the page and let us know if it is working.

Just SmartAdblock running, the streaming doesnt start if it is on, no custom filters. (brave browser with its native adblocker off)

Ps: With SmartAdblock off everything works as it should.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.