Advice Request A friend told me he never installs a Chrome addon on his Edge broswer. Is that O.C.D, or its better approach and why?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I hope he does not read there, but here is what he wrote me:
"As I use very few extensions, using the one I do use allows me to not activate the Chrome web store, and only use Edge extensions. But that’s my use case.
If you already use Chrome extensions on Edge, you may as well use a more frequently updated one if you wish to do so."

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
If an extension is turned off, can it still somehow be active in the background? I suppose if it is malicious, it can?

Otherwise, uninstalling them would probably be the safest thing to do. As this thread reminded me of doing that in Edge, reviewing my extensions, addons. I did uninstall a few in Chrome over the weekend.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
If an extension is turned off, can it still somehow be active in the background?
It can probably still get updated, especially since it is a separate store, and there have been cases when hackers hijacked legitimate extensions and pushed an malicious update.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
It can probably still get updated, especially since it is a separate store, and there have been cases when hackers hijacked legitimate extensions and pushed an malicious update.
Excellent reply and links. Thank you.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I feel the same as @TairikuOkami. I don't really see the point of using Edge over Chrome if you're just going to establish a permanent network connection to Google anyway.
Compatibility and support is the answer. Microsoft will provide support for Edge but not Chrome. Enterprises will use Edge because of this. Though things have improved with Chrome being able to be controlled it by Group Policy somewhat, I think people and enterprises will still use M$ over Chrome because of support.

On the topic of extensions, less is more. uBlock Origin is all you need. And it's safe. Until MV3 is introduced then there is no reason to change browser to FireFox or one of its forks. With Firefox you can add CanvasBloicker and uMatrix and maybe CookieAutoDelete without any trouble, they are trusted extensions.

Last edited:

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
This is another answer:
hxxps://www.reddit.com/r/edge/comments/11fccd8/should_i_get_extensions_from_the_microsoft_edge/

"Some extensions on chrome store are not fully compatible, despite being installable. I'd advise to check out if they're offered on edge store too, and in that case look for the one with the most recent update. Most of times chrome version receives updates faster than edge's."

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
If an extension is turned off, can it still somehow be active in the background? I suppose if it is malicious, it can?

Otherwise, uninstalling them would probably be the safest thing to do. As this thread reminded me of doing that in Edge, reviewing my extensions, addons. I did uninstall a few in Chrome over the weekend.
FYI: You can turn off addons via: Extensity.

Reactions: Trident

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Yeah amirr there is no point in maintaining a extension or app with so few users. You're not making money or a difference in people's lives from so few users, may as well go contribute to open-source projects for the respect of the community or go try bug/exploit hunting to earn money.

If the software/extension is good enough people will pay either subscription or donate. People vote with their wallets more than their heart or brain.

Reactions: oldschool and Nevi

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
It's a matter of probability, if we talk about security
Infection vs addon highjacking.
How often a security related addon really threatens a user? Until now, privacy issues have mostly occurred with reputable addons, not security related.
How often your system is prone to threats while online? It's up to you, mostly.

It's also a matter or probability, if we talk about functionality.
Infection vs addon compatibility issue
Again, How often a security related addon really threatens a user? Until now, mostly privacy issues have occured with reputable addons, not security related.
How often a compatibility issue may arise? it can happen easily.

But, in fact, the people's most important issue with the "dangerous" protection software, is the need of feel of control. Many people do not like that they are under the control of third party entities (addons, security software etc), so they prefer to have the situation at their hands, despite the fact that they will be more vulnerable this way.
Others just need best compatibility and I can understand that, so they keep minimal setups.

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.