Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Conducted review (Oct 26, 2015)

Observations throughout the review:

1) 12/20 mix up from zero day up to one day old samples (including phishing sites/IFrame scripts)
2) with PUP detection enabled it prevents all the randomize samples.
3) with PUP detection disabled, bypass instantly without any real signatures or cloud from AMN.
4) I tested two random phishing sites and seems Emsisoft didn't recognized it.
5) BB with AMN enabled tends to blocked already 6/10 (without pop ups)
6) BB with AMN disabled seems no pop ups directed for possible malware infections.
7) A perfect 21/21 for on demand scanning test (PUP Enabled) / Without PUP 19/21.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Online_Sword: It didn't nor any category that can raise an event to have a pop up for possible suspicious behaviour.

Actually when AMN on, it blocks immediately without user interaction when the file is dangerous.

When the file is declared safe by AMN, then it allowed the program immediately.

Last edited:

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
@Online_Sword: It didn't nor any category that can raise an event to have a pop up for possible suspicious behaviour.

Actually when AMN on, it blocks immediately without user interaction when the file is dangerous, same goes to Safe.
Thank you for your reply.:)
But...your first sentence has an unusual structure, which makes it difficult for me to understand...Sorry.
I hope you can partition that sentence into several short sentence. This can make it easy to understand.

Reactions: jamescv7
H

hjlbx

Then the malwares are prevented or not?

Many times after installation, adware does nothing to trigger the Behavior Blocker - the application is just nuisance-ware.

You have to play around with the adware and explore all of its functions to see if it triggers the Behavior Blocker - like hidden download, connect to malicious domain, etc.

Behavior Blocker only alerts after very specific actions. It can be fooled, but still, it is very good.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Thanks for sharing the video @Azure Phoenix .

Indeed Behavior Blocker is a powerful program. Can be a good alternative option to HIPS I guess.

If i recall correctly Emsisoft used to have a standalone BB called Mamutu right? So it's been incorporated to EAM and EIS?

H

hjlbx

Except for the sample that generates the large, red detail Behavior Blocker alert, all of those blocks where Anti-Malware Network query blocks.

AMN is a file reputation database.

So, bottom line is, 19/20 detections where "signature\file reputation" detections. 1/20 blocks were done by the local Behavior Blocker.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
He should disable internet and do the test again so it's just the behaviour blocker if he really wants to test it.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
AMN is utilized by the BB in the tests shown in the video posted by @Azure Phoenix .

I am curious about whether the BB of Emsisoft could still block those ransomware in the offline case.
I wonder same. I would like see Emsisoft releasing another video demonstrating how good the behavior blocker is without internet connection

Reactions: Online_Sword

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
He should disable internet and do the test again so it's just the behaviour blocker if he really wants to test it.
The video was made by a Emsisoft employee and uploaded on their official youtube account.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The effectiveness of BB in offline is totally needs more improvement and smarter to detect without any reference when reputation isn't available.Although AMN is well effective at all.

Reactions: Azure

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
The effectiveness of BB in offline is totally needs more improvement and smarter to detect without any reference when reputation isn't available.Although AMN is well effective at all.
Indeed. Will be nice once they have perfected the "Introduced autonomous decisions on alerts for malware intrusions and exploitation attempts." that was written on the initial post of this thread.

Reactions: XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.