Advice Request A strange detection

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I have uninstalled (with AVG uninstall tool and Revo Pro) AVG ultimate on 1 of my PC abd installed Bitdefender.
I'm very surprised because BDTS detected 2 AVG fileso_O
Do you think they are false positives?

bdts trojan2.PNG

bdts trojan3.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Hi
First of all I am glad to see you to Remove NSA tool from your System ,btw I am very sad because you change a spy tool with a bug tool :D
for this problem, I suggest you to upload that 'blah blah' file(s) to Virustotal Or you may submitted them to Well Respected Company for more analyze, who may know may be KING OF BUG Fp's or may be a spy file chicks remain from NSA tools :D
Well Respected company in level of detection are : ESET,Avira,Kaspersky....

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Hello,
I have uninstalled (with AVG uninstall tool and Revo Pro) AVG ultimate on 1 of my PC abd installed Bitdefender.
View attachment 258041View attachment 258040

Looks like FP, just leftover from before installed AV, it still happens for many AV vendors that files aren't fully removed especially inside C:\ProgramData

You may want to upload both files to VirusTotal ;)

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Hello,
View attachment 258041View attachment 258040
I agree with the replies above. I'm pretty sure it's a false positive, but upload it to VirusTotal if you are not sure about it.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I would use Antivirus Removal Tool to search for leftovers and remove them manually.
MT thread:
Homepage:
Screenshot:
antivirus_removal_tool_main-1024x642.png

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
If he uploaded it to VirusTotal, will he be able to know if it was a malicious file or not? I'm still learning so please forgive me if I asked such questions :oops:
VirusTotal is a website on which you can upload any file that you think could be malicious and it will get scanned by pretty much every Antivirus engine out there (Kaspersky, ESET, Bitdefender and much more.) Even if all scan results are clean it's not a 100% guarantee because every AV could have theoretically missed the file, but it's an huge indicator that the file is clean when no AV detects it on VirusTotal.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
think you should be careful if Avast gives an NG judgment in Virus Total.;)

Personally, I presume that the file itself does not contain any problems or malicious intent. I think the subject of the warning applies not only to the presence or absence of malicious intent, but also to the power and ability to act within the system.

It's fun to try out various av related software, but they often leave too much debris and it's a hassle.

ZeePriest

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
VirusTotal is a website on which you can upload any file that you think could be malicious and it will get scanned by pretty much every Antivirus engine out there (Kaspersky, ESET, Bitdefender and much more.) Even if all scan results are clean it's not a 100% guarantee because every AV could have theoretically missed the file, but it's an huge indicator that the file is clean when no AV detects it on VirusTotal.
Awesome! Thanks a lot @SecureKongo! Now I've learned something new :)

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Awesome! Thanks a lot @SecureKongo! Now I've learned something new :)
If you upload files or a URL to virustotal.com it gets analysed by +60 different anti-malware solutions from most of the better known vendors. An alternative scanning site is -

in case VirusTotal is ever down, but it uses less solutions, 15 when I checked just now.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yet Sophos is one of the engines jotti uses. What is up with that? :D

Sophos says "clean" on VirusTotal. But now SecureAge Apex says it's "malicious." Jotti has been sitting in my Downloads for a year, nothing has come of it. Dismissed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.