AbdelwahaB`S Config

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hi :), you can use Online Armor alongside with Emsisoft since they were both same developers and both great performance on it.

MBAM is fine to be an on demand scanner since Emsisoft can handle it well.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Re: Firewall.
Online Armor Free or Private Firewall should perform well with your setup.

P

Plexx

PF would probably conflict with EAM.

I would try out COMODO Firewall instead. But as the OP knowledge is intermediate, perhaps try out Agnitum Oupost Firewall.

Or if you want you can go Paranoid mode and use COMODO Internet Security with EAM. Umbra can tell you all about that combo!

or Avast with COMODO Firewall, which a lot of users can tell you about as well.

I personally only run Emsisoft engine as an on demand scan (emsisoft emergency kit)

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
See This You can benefit from this
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-to-set-CIS-EAM-for-max-compatibility-security

AbdelwahaB

Thread author
Jun 27, 2012
thnx for your all opinions i was using comodo firewall and its was heavy on my ram

now i compare Outpost firewall and Online Armor what about tinywall alot of users here using them !

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello AbdelwahaB,
Real-time protection
If you are looking for a light protection,than Emsisoft Anti-Malware (EAM) is very good.
I don't think you really need a third party firewall,and instead you could activate the 'Paranoid' mode in EAM and increase your protection.
The paranoid mode (when File Guard is enabled), will displays more information about the "suspicious" activities and processes running on your PC. To enable it ,you need to go to Guard Tab --->"Alerts" tab --->Check " Activate Paranoid mode".
[attachment=1573]
How is Malwarebytes working alongside Emsisoft?Did you experience any problems? If it were my setup I would remove MBAM Pro from the real time because this product is using prevention methods that Emsisoft already has in place,and I would rely more strongly on other alternative layers of protection like Sandboxie (see below more details about this software.).

As a general knowledge,it's important to know that most infection rely strongly on social engineering, basically you'll need to run a program infected with malware so that you'll actually get infected.
If you practice a smart online behavior then you should dramatically decrees your chances of getting infected. You can read some tips on how to avoid infections here: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/how-to-easily-avoid-pc-infections/

Browser protection

It's essentials to know as much as possible about the web pages that you are visiting, in order to avoid different type of attacks.
I would recommend that you install a site advisor like Web of Trust which will greatly help you, while online.
WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

You can also add a password manager for your browser,which should make your life on the internet a lot more safer and easier.
LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure

Virtualization:
Even if you submitted a file to virustotal.com and it said that it's clean , you'll need to run it in virtual environment because sometimes infection can be so new that security vendors don't have signs for it.

Virtualization software will allow you to browse the web or run another application in a completely safe environment. This is especially useful when visiting high-risk web sites, whether accidentally or deliberately, as the Web browser will be completely contained within the virtual enviroment, preventing any damage to your computer.
A sandbox can also be used to run any other applications which you think may be suspect - you can run the program inside the sandbox to determine whether or not it is safe while remaining completely protected against any malicious actions that it may try to carry out.
I strongly advise you to install Sandboxie and use it when you're browsing the Internet or running shady/unknown programs.
Alternately you can try BufferZone PRO (Free) , another great virtualization software.

Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Always run suspicious of freshly downloaded files in a Sandboxie to verify that he download isn't compromised!Sandboxie will replicate perfectly your operating system so all the files should run without any problems in it.

Extra protection:
Because you are using an old operating system which is very targeted by cyber criminals ,you can install the below program to prevent the exploit of different vulnerabilities that your system might have.
EMET 2 (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) (Free) - link
EMET provides users with the ability to deploy security features built into Windows to arbitrary applications. This helps prevent vulnerabilities in those applications from successfully being exploited. DEP, SEHOP and ASLR are such security features, if you want to learn more about what they do, you can watch this video from Microsoft TechCenter. To configure EMET you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

Attachments

• paranoid-mode-.png
    paranoid-mode-.png
    279.9 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
P

Plexx

I would also add Panda URL filter, but to be honest I haven't really used it much. When I was running ESET, I hardly seen Panda blocking anything.

AbdelwahaB

Thread author
Jun 27, 2012
I have added WOT ADDon and SandBoxie and about Traffic Light its slow down my Browsing so i remove it

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
One Question,
Do you have any plans to upgrade your OS?
XP's Support is ending in about a Year and a half and I highly recommend that you upgrade to Windows 7.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.