Advice Request About Symantec

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
Hi guys would ask some questions... hope some1 have some answers xD
Now SEP is Broadcom
Do u think them will continue offer a good product (update signatures,etc)?
Do u think SEP and NPE are different products? Different Databases?Should use all 2?

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
My personal opinion is that almost every Broadcom acquisiton has made the acquired product worse -- layoffs, cost cutting, and usually selling of the business unit at a fraction of what they acquired it for.

But other than that gut feeling, we have nothing to go by currently in terms of whether the product would get better or worse.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
I know this... but for example Sonar in symantec and in norton are the same now? The signatures? Them getting different ways?

Reactions: Protomartyr

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
As far my observation goes:
Symantec enterprise division was now acquired by Broadcom (after failed deal of whole symantec acquistion)
However symantec home division aka Norton (by life lock) is still under the brand hood.
After this acquistion, Norton life lock teamed up with STAR team (of Broadcom enterprise) for better threat hunting and forensics.
Essentially this should give same threat signatures and product updates at least to most part

As of now i think they are in correct way
Is acquistion right ?? May be future decides.

Signatures: SEP uses advanced ML algorithms with much more adv.SONAR layer.
Detection which we see VT (ML.Attribute.High Confidence) are probably from SEP products.

That info s then passed entire Norton cloud network..like in home products as Heur.ML.A/B/C.... so on..

Last edited:

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
The STARS/Symantec-Norton agreement is meant to ensure usage for shared codebase for a few years until one of the two companies switches to own technology/something better. One of the two products may end up using a 3rd party licensed engine soon.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I think Symantec products are no longer available for small business (or home users testing their products), Broadcom focus is totally on big players only, they don't even care about license renewal.

I know this... but for example Sonar in symantec and in norton are the same now? The signatures? Them getting different ways?
It seems they are sharing threat intelligence, NortonLifeLock made a partnership with Symantec STAR.

Reactions: Chri.Mi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.