Absolutely the most powerful antivirus?

alv222

Level 2
Oct 11, 2019
Actually, ZoneAlarm is like a rebrand of Kaspersky. Signatures, heuristics, cloud, system watcher everything is the same. The Firewall is different and the UI. Andrew3000 has tested it recently in the hub.
So, if you're not into ZoneAlarm's firewall and have no problem with Kaspersky being Russian then using Kaspersky would probably be better choice as I heard ZoneAlarm is heavier on the system and some other complications.
Sorry if im offtopic but I asked them in the forum and they only use K's signatures and cloud detection, they have their own application control, BB and heuristics

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Sorry if im offtopic but I asked them in the forum and they only use K's signatures and cloud detection, they have their own application control, BB and heuristics
No this must be wrong because the name of the detection gives it away. ZoneAlarm detected some malwares as PDM detection eg: PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic, PDM:Trojan.Win32.Bazon.a which are name of detections by Kaspersky's System Watcher. Like Kaspersky's Advanced disinfection, it asks for reboot as well. So, these are the proof that they are the same.

Last edited:

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
my saying on that if a product is going to be rebranded with another source just buy the original one and the saying of its Russian or American
or what ever country its all the same protection. its time the new era changes the way people act about other countries lets all get along life is to short.:emoji_beer: Happy Halloween to all be safe:alien:
I totally agree with you. But the thing is when you are in the Security/Privacy industry sometimes you have customers from the public sector. And for these customers due to the history , the country where the manufacturer is located matters.

Kaspersky has many many many positive features. And in addition to what other mentioned regarding the capability of their products, they have an amazing marketing team. Marketing is not only selling a product, it also includes how and what they include in each software based on the needs of the customers.

So UNFORTUNATELY sometimes it matters where the software is coming from.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Anyone who expects the best antivirus or any other security product to offer 100% protection will eventually be severely disappointed...

Regarding best I really think there isn't one. All major antivrus offer protection withing a fraction of 1% of difference between each one. So as far as I'm concerned it's a matter of performance in your machines. All of them have problems, I have mentioned in other posts that Eset blocked my network's HP printers and scanners, for instance. Kaspersky would often block sites I need for my work, etc.

So there is no perfect antivirus and I very much doubt we can point to a product and say that one is the most powerful in the market. They all have their flaws and qualities and will eventually fail against something.

Last edited:

alv222

Level 2
Oct 11, 2019
No this must be wrong because the name of the detection gives it away. ZoneAlarm detected some malwares as PDM detection eg: PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic, PDM:Trojan.Win32.Bazon.a which are name of detections by Kaspersky's System Watcher. Like Kaspersky's Advanced disinfection, it asks for reboot as well. So, these are the proof that they are the same.
I didnt notice that, i just saw It in malware hub, Mixed Threats #20 (23/10/2019). Thanks for the correction.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
As you like both Kaspersky and ESET, at default settings ( forgetting any tinkering that ESET allows for ), is the difference between the two something tangible or we'd be splitting hairs if we were to compare?

In a real life scenario usage the difference isnt something tangible because although Kaspersky has a much stronger behavior blocker, ESET has better PUA detection and Web protection.

Both can be configured to have almost flawless protection, but it is something easier to do with Kaspersky (Application Control + Trusted Application Mode).

Last edited:

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Defender did horrible in this test, I wonder how it would fare using Configure Defender, this test is making me re-think my use of Defender now.
If I had to adapt my security strategy everytime I lab release a test I would throw a rock on my computer already. Lol.
Test labs are meaningless if you have good computer practices.
Even with the worst AV in the world, I would get better result than a happy clicker using the best one.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Yes my son, this I know. Most lab tests the AV's score between 97 and 100% and people freak out because a certain AV only scored 98.5%. I was just curious about this test as all AV's scored 7 out of 11 or better whereas Defender only scored 2/11. You usually don't see this much discrepancy in any tests, thus my question. And I know you've thrown a rock or two.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Yes my son, this I know. Most lab tests the AV's score between 97 and 100% and people freak out because a certain AV only scored 98.5%. I was just curious about this test as all AV's scored 7 out of 11 or better whereas Defender only scored 2/11. You usually don't see this much discrepancy in any tests, thus my question. And I know you've thrown a rock or two.
I never trusted labs and was never a fan of AV. There was 2 AV I ever used more than 3 weeks: Symantec and Comodo lol. And because I needed the other modules of their suite.

The poor result of WD may be due to the methodology or the sample used.
I friend of mine used to do private tests for his company eyes only, he used 0-hour malware, if you saw the scores, you won't use any AVs lol

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Microsoft Defender doesnt have a Bank Mode nor a specialized HIPS module to protect against some common banking malwares techniques, but this doesnt mean that it cant protect the machine against this kind of attack.

Enable ASR rules, keep the cloud protection enabled and it should be fine, anyway @Andy Ful's Configure Defender can make the native Windows Security much better without any effort.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
[
If I had to adapt my security strategy everytime I lab release a test I would throw a rock on my computer already. Lol.
Test labs are meaningless if you have good computer practices.
Even with the worst AV in the world, I would get better result than a happy clicker using the best one.

Agreed. Security paranoia has its breeding ground in security forums. Stay safe, not paranoid! :D

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I used to be uber-paranoid, hence the "how to setup a layered security strategy" guide imade here, was quite popular; but at the end, i never got even a single threat requiring my security softs to kick in... lol.
At the end, i'm finally using what Win10 offers me, and eventually one security soft to toy with.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I used to be uber-paranoid, hence the "how to setup a layered security strategy" guide imade here, was quite popular; but at the end, i never got even a single threat requiring my security softs to kick in... lol.
At the end, i'm finally using what Windows 10 offers me, and eventually one security soft to toy with.

Heh, heh, I've layered up a time or three only to have MB catch the odd pup, but hey, I really like puppies.

[

Agreed. Security paranoia has its breeding ground in security forums. Stay safe, not paranoid! :D

What you talking about Willis, paranoia, I got pills for that.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

1- People coming here already have some degree of paranoia.
2- Vendors push that FUD via uber-articles about super-nasty malware only them can protect against, just to boost sales.
3- Paranoids compete with other paranoids to show who has the biggest, strongest, awesome security setup which often result in performance loss and generate new issues.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.