Absolutely the most powerful antivirus?

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

doesn't need to be a small one It could be a big one as well, it could be payload + movie. Containerisation is one of the most effective ways to isolate potentially dangerous processed, including exploited ones. Opening non-trusted files in a container is exactly avoiding doing something stupid
No, full deny is the only real mechanism, sandbox aren't fully safe as before.

With all respect, the stupid is exactly what you are saying, running non-trusted files on your production machine hoping your sandbox/VM will keep you safe, which isn't so true since few years.

Don't get me wrong, I also do things I shouldn't, like downloading torrents, but I run them on a spare Linux machine, this is a real safe container, because I don't care of it being infected, /format Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Currently usiings Malwarebytes Premium their claim antivirus is not needed they have it covered will report back on this issue

You're looking for trouble.

Malwarebytes is very weak.

Look at all the last tests of the professional testers.

Look at the Hub today.

I use Malwarebytes and hope for the best with them... but I have to acknowledge... they are pretty sucky.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Stop with this. It's so misguiding question from all security perspectives to new users, what difference does it make comparing Antivirus suites? None is first and none is last, all are more or less equal default-allow.

OK. And your credentials as a security expert are ... ?

That is not very friendly to dismiss everyone that has tried to contribute to a friendly discussion here... ;)

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

OK. And your credentials as a security expert are ... ?
That is not very friendly to dismiss everyone that has tried to contribute to a friendly discussion here... ;)
But he is somehow right, he doesn't need to be an expert. In real life most AV/suites behave the same, detect > alert or block/quarantine.

All those test aren't really worthy, a risky user will encounter, what ? 3 malware a month, a normal one maybe one a year...me? none in 20+ years, i had to go to malware referencing site to find some to play with...LOL.

The real difference is how the user respond. I can use the worst AV ever made, i will be safer than a happy clicker with the self-claimed "best" AV.

Also, you can't compare what isn't comparable, to be comparable properly, the products must have the same features and be used the same way, which is hardly the case now.

So yes he is right, if i was a noob coming on this thread, i will probably will be misguided by emotionally-guided opinions.
The only thing you can be sure is the AV's reliability not efficiency (which varies depending of the context).

so "best, powerful, strongest, blablabla" aren't the right terms to use, "reliable" is.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
You're looking for trouble.

Malwarebytes is very weak.

Look at all the last tests of the professional testers.

Look at the Hub today.

I use Malwarebytes and hope for the best with them... but I have to acknowledge... they are pretty sucky.

Actually they turned out better than I expected. 14/19 zero day isn’t bad. Better than before at least, but not something I’d use as my main line of defense.

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
No, full deny is the only real mechanism, sandbox aren't fully safe as before.

With all respect, the stupid is exactly what you are saying, running non-trusted files on your production machine hoping your sandbox/VM will keep you safe, which isn't so true since few years.

Don't get me wrong, I also do things I shouldn't, like downloading torrents, but I run them on a spare Linux machine, this is a real safe container, because I don't care of it being infected, /format Lol.

That's what I do now. I have a separate box. But when I was a broke uni student that wasn't an option.

Reactions: [correlate]

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Actually they turned out better than I expected. 14/19 zero day isn’t bad. Better than before at least, but not something I’d use as my main line of defense.

Yeah, fair enough. Webroot and Panda Dome Free both scored a miserable 8/19 of those samples. Malwarebytes was scoring on some testing similar to Webroot. Maybe there is an improvement. I hope so. I have a reason to cheer for Malwarebytes... I have multiple (like 6) lifetime licenses with them. The next AV-T will give a more full indication of how things are trending.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I would say BitDefender.

If that is the basis for judgement -- then maybe Norton.

cătălin

Level 1
Verified
Jun 21, 2018
If that is the basis for judgement -- then maybe Norton.

This is just a product promotion. Anyway, go with Norton :)
See the bottom of the page: While this article is sponsored by Norton Security, I’ve actually used it for ten years and after digging into WikiLeaks and seeing that the CIA wasn’t able to hack into it, I can easily recommend it for all your devices security needs.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
But he is somehow right, he doesn't need to be an expert. In real life most AV/suites behave the same, detect > alert or block/quarantine.

All those test aren't really worthy, a risky user will encounter, what ? 3 malware a month, a normal one maybe one a year...me? none in 20+ years, i had to go to malware referencing site to find some to play with...LOL.

The real difference is how the user respond. I can use the worst AV ever made, i will be safer than a happy clicker with the self-claimed "best" AV.

Also, you can't compare what isn't comparable, to be comparable properly, the products must have the same features and be used the same way, which is hardly the case now.

So yes he is right, if i was a noob coming on this thread, i will probably will be misguided by emotionally-guided opinions.
The only thing you can be sure is the AV's reliability not efficiency (which varies depending of the context).

so "best, powerful, strongest, blablabla" aren't the right terms to use, "reliable" is.

With all the respect he is wrong and so are you, the topic is about the most powerful antivirus, not about how imperfect antivirus solutions are and definitely not about how "great" default-deny is.

The most powerful antivirus isnt subjective and they can be compared, there are many criterias for this (emulator, signature, response time, behavior blocker, malware rollback damage, heuristics, reputation module and so on), although many users confused this with the "best" antivirus in their minds and usually it is simple the solution that they are running.

The most powerful antivirus can be measure by past professional test results combined with user experience and an overall looking at the product technology itself.

By alll means that should be Kaspersky, this is a fact, not an opinion, there is no other solution that have the same level of default protection or potential protection when tweaked, @harlan4096 tests on this forum is a testament of this fact.

Finally the most powerful isnt always the best, if this was true, everybody should just use Kaspersky and be done with it.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
1- People coming here already have some degree of paranoia.
2- Vendors push that FUD via uber-articles about super-nasty malware only them can protect against, just to boost sales.
3- Paranoids compete with other paranoids to show who has the biggest, strongest, awesome security setup which often result in performance loss and generate new issues.
Hm, whats going on VPN company? :D

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
This is just a product promotion. Anyway, go with Norton :)
See the bottom of the page: While this article is sponsored by Norton Security, I’ve actually used it for ten years and after digging into WikiLeaks and seeing that the CIA wasn’t able to hack into it, I can easily recommend it for all your devices security needs.
Come on, CIA never try to hack own Security company, listen : "scissors never cut its legs! "

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

the topic is about the most powerful antivirus,
Which is a useless but recurrent discussion, if it had sense, we won't have the same thread cloned over and over.
Give what you call "the most powerful" AV to a noob happy-clicker, it will make it the "most useless" ever.

The most powerful antivirus isnt subjective and they can be compared, there are many criterias for this (emulator, signature, response time, behavior blocker, malware rollback damage, heuristics, reputation module and so on)
Sorry this is where you are wrong. You dont compare an AV with a suite, products must have same features and most don't.
You can't compare a simple scanner with a full suite having a dozen of modules.
Same as you don't compare a Volvo with a formula 1 to know which is the fastest.
All those lab test are for noobs, because they need a landmark. Those with enough skills shouldn't even look a them.
You want a real fair comparison between all of them, strip all AVs of their additional components, just test the real-time scanner without cloud and all the HIPS and co.
Until that, there is no such thing as "the most powerful", you just get the "most complete" AV and complete doesn't mean efficient.

The most powerful antivirus can be measure by past professional test results combined with user experience and an overall looking at the product technology itself.
If you still believe on lab's test...

Anyway, we visibly have different opinion about how to quantify AVs, and you know very well what i think about them. ;)

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
The best antivirus with all my respect I see that rookie question, that was the question I asked myself twenty years ago, and I have concluded that there is no such thing, if there are better or worse users. For example, you give Kasperky a newbie and he becomes infected as if he were using the worst antivirus.:)

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

The best antivirus with all my respect I see that rookie question, that was the question I asked myself twenty years ago, and I have concluded that there is no such thing, if there are better or worse users. For example, you give Kasperky a newbie and he becomes infected as if he were using the worst antivirus.:)
Exactly. i always told people here and there:
1- Use what you are the most comfortable with or the one offering what you looking for in term of components.
2- Learn all its intricacies and cons, then you will make the best of it.
3- don't believe those self-claimed "independent" labs, they are marketing proxies for AV vendors...AV business is a big and juicy market, everyone want his share, labs included. Why do you think they ask exorbitant prices to vendors, and when they get big money from them, they obviously can't be so "independent". I didn't see yet a lab test results where all the AVs score under 50%, it is easy to do it, just use obfuscated malware or scripts, why they don't? because who will pay to have bad advertisements....
4- Don't change your AV based on point 3.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.