Status
Not open for further replies.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I wasn't sure where to post this so please forgive me if it's in the wrong section...
My son's friend's Mom asked me to check her mini for virus's since she lets her friend use her computer sometimes, now what my problem is, is that I got an alert from my comodo on my laptop from that acer mini's internal ip and i'm trying to figure out what was happening?
I wasn't sure so I blocked it.
I have scanned with MBAM,EEK,SAS & CCE and so far nothing but the mini is slow as Christmas so I may just suggest a reformat.

8v8ch.jpg

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Means something else a computer is trying to communicate with that computer.

Upvote 0

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
What program is trying to connect to the internet?Can you increase the wide of the Application column so we will be able to see the name of the file.?
What component of COMODO triggered the alert and what was it saying?:)

Upvote 0

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
CCleaner > Advanced Options > Untick "Only clean files older than 24 hours" > Run the cleaner

Hitman Pro > Run Default Scan > See if it finds anything that shouldn't be there

Window Key + R (Run) > msconfig > Startup Tab > See if there's anything that looks suspicious that is set to boot at start up / Untick un-necessary startup objects that could lead to a slower PC. (I recommend you use AutoRuns for a more indepth view http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902)

Task Manager cannot show everything that is running, Especially processes running under another host process.
Download & Run Process Explorer : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Perform a manual check of all processors running and check anything that looks out of place, If you do find an out of place process that you think is suspicious, Open folder location, Right click and upload to VirusTotal.

If she's like any female I've known, they'll have 5 or 6 useless toolbars installed in Internet Explorer and around 3 - 4 junky adware filled programs (that they accidentally installed or didn't know, such as adware bundles, Babylon toolbar, Ask, etc) Remove these.
(Would also help to see if there is any junky OEM programs running that cause lower performance)

Enable High Performance mode in the battery options and plug in the power adapter. Now after all this? Is it still slow?
If so? Explain what is slow exactly? Explorer jumpy? Slow? Browsing internet slow? Etc, Thanks.

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I've ran ccleaner,defragged with auslogics,scanned with mbam,cce,eek,sas and mcafee (her only security) no malware...unticked everything but Mcafee (she had around 10-12 startup items, typical crap from acer)
actually i'm surprised it had nothing installed that I could tell it's pretty much brand new cause the date it was built is 3-24-12.
I'll try the things you mentioned but if all else fails i'll suggest to restore to factory since it has acer recovery manager.
Thanks

EDIT: I forgot to mention that killswitch didn't detect any malicious process's
Every mini i've worked on has been slow as crap...they give ya a gb of ram atleast in the one's i've worked on, load it with a ton of trial garbage and a ton of crap on startup IMO they aren't worth 2 cents and i've yet to see one that is anywhere near fast.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.