App Review Ad-Aware 11 - Can it remove Adware? (mrizos)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Ad-Aware 11 - Can it remove Adware?

Last edited by a moderator:

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
My own method of removing adware, junkware from friends, family and colleagues PCs, I usually get this done in approximately 15 minutes.

1. Download AdwCleaner & Junkware Removal Tool, run both as Administrator, let them scan and clean what ever is found then restart PC.

2. Download and run IObit Uninstaller Portable , Select the tickboxes and batch uninstall any left over junk programs and toolbars via Advanced Scan to find left over folders, files, registry keys and clean.
(I don't use Windows Programs & Features window to remove programs as it leaves lots of left over files, folders and registry items all being junk)

3. Download and run Wise Disk Cleaner Portable to clean temporary files, junk files.
(CCleaner is fine too, Don't use Windows built in Disk Cleaner, it misses alot of temp files, useless files)

4. Enable Hidden Items in Explorer and manually search through Program Files, Program Files (x86), Program Data, AppData Local, Roaming and Temp folders and delete what unnecessary items ever is left. Disable Hidden Items.

5. Go into Internet Explorer settings (Or Firefox and Chrome if they have it) and make sure there isn't any adware add-ons, search engines or toolbars left over, Go to Internet Explorer settings and click RESET Internet Explorer and make sure their search engine is changed back to one they want.

6. Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, Kaspersky TDSS Killer scan just to make sure there also isn't any nastys lurking on the system, Malwarebytes can also find PUP items aswell but by now I've removed all that.

7. Make sure their antivirus is working and up to date.

8. Tell the person who owns the computer about not rushing through program setups/installers next time and make sure to un-tick boxes/agreements asking you to install junk and aware. Tell them to be more careful so it doesn't happen again. Add Softpedia and Filehippo to their bookmarks and tel them to avoid CNET, Softtonic, Sourceforge, Brothersoft.

I have to agree with Matt on antivirus programs not being hardly effective against adware and PUP these days, Most of which allowing you to install crap. I know that Avast has a PUP Option in advanced scan settings and so does ESET, how ever Microsofts own Windows Defender/MSE is left in the dark. (Ortho doesn't matter if you have common sense and are sure not to install junkware, adware).

I wish they were more effective but then again the user is technically agreeing to install this crap without knowing the negative effects it will cause until it's too late.

Also Ad-Aware used to be the number 1 go to tool for getting rid of junk back in 2007 era I remember, now it appears to be junk itself. Ironic.

Here's to hoping Softpedia, MajorGeeks, Filehippo stay clean and don't start using ad-supported branded installers of their own.

I haven't had a need to go to CNET Download.com to download software for a very long time.

Thanks. :)

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
^^ i want to add two more sources , which is junkware/adware free,
1. Filehorse.com
2. downloadcrew.com

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.