Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
CNET said:
The latest version of popular anti-spyware and antivirus program Ad-Aware comes with bold performance claims. Released today exclusively with CNET Download.com, Lavasoft Ad-Aware 9.5 Free Internet Security and Ad-Aware 9.5 Pro Internet Security says that both programs have seen heavy construction under the hood and ought to be four to eight times faster than they were in the last release, version 9.0.5.

In addition, the suites now come with a faster installation process, bolstered by a dramatically smaller download that shrunk from 130 MB to 12 MB. This "stub" installer then grabs only about 80 MB of data online to complete the program, which is still significantly smaller.

While using the program, I noticed that Ad-Aware felt smoother when transitioning between screens, supporting that some parts of the program are faster. However, the program's "quick" scan, called the Smart Scan, which checks only mission-critical areas of your computer for infection, was actually slower on a real-world, daily-use computer than it was when tested in version 9.0. Whereas the scan averaged around four minutes to complete, over three cold-boot runs, version 9.5 notched 5 minutes, 37 seconds over three cold-boot runs

Read more...

Ibrad

Apr 29, 2011
Some interesting things have been going around about Lavasoft recently. I highly recommend you read all of this thread over at Wilders: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=298689

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Improvements are good, I wonder how they perform in the long term.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Ad-Aware was doing well since their engine was powered by Sunbelt.

D

Deleted member 178

Ibrad said:
Some interesting things have been going around about Lavasoft recently. I highly recommend you read all of this thread over at Wilders: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=298689

heard of it, but since i dont plan to use it, i can say "I DONT CARE" :D

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I'm tired of seeing Lavasoft claiming that the new versions are much faster, I have never seen any performance improvement with their new versions.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
umbrapolaris, as a paranoid user I thought you might add it to your set-up. :lol:

boxx28, it would be great to see a side-by-side comparison (in terms of how it affects system performance).

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Comparisons usually are inaccurate, What would be best is to test it yourself but I'd rather not waste my time with this.

Ibrad

Apr 29, 2011
I posted over at the Lavasoft forum, and they say this was designed to work with other AVs so that may explain why it only automatically updated twice a week?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Performance can be very differ from systems to systems so sometimes it can be good but others can be bad.

Especially from the specification of hardware used.

D

Deleted member 178

i rather use EAM which can be a companion AV with updates every 30mn...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Ibrad said:
I posted over at the Lavasoft forum, and they say this was designed to work with other AVs so that may explain why it only automatically updated twice a week?

Is that a recent change in v.9.5? Because when I installed the last version it prompt me to uninstall Avast and ZoneAlarm Free because it say it wasn't compatible. So I tried it on my other system with Microsoft Security Essentials and it also prompt me to uninstall MSE as well. I went ahead and installed it anyway to that system and it corrupted MSE real-time component causing me to have to manually repair MSE.

After all the repair was done, I disabled all of Ad-Aware's real-time protection and just wanted to use it as on-demand scanner. But Ad-Aware's services kept running in the background eating up CPU cycles. I was not able to stop the services with Windows Service Manager or change them to manual they were locked on Automatic.

Process Hacker was able to kill the processes, it was the only way to stop them.

I hope to see some user reviews before trying this new version. If the services still can't be stopped then I'm not interested in trying it again.

Thanks.:D

Ibrad

Apr 29, 2011
In December of last year when I asked when they first posted the new 9.0 version with built in Sunbelt engine they said it was designed to be ran alone. I just asked again yesterday and got a response from a Lavasoft Forum helper that said Lavasoft had been working on getting it to run fine with other security software. So it appears to be a recent change. They did get a lot of requests to have it able to run with other security software.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Lavasoft have released 9.5.1 as small fix.

Lavasoft has released 9.5.1 with a small fix for speeding up scanning on older systems, specially if you find 9.5 to be slower than 9.0.7 version.

It will take some time before all download servers have been updated with the new version.

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.